Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 1st January 2009, 21:51   #1  |  Link
idbirch2

AVCHD Manager: Quickly set default AVCHD folder on external drive

Latest version here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mzj1djdiymn

Guide on usage here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...12#post1236112

This tool is for managing you collection of AVCHD folders on an external hard disk (although it should work on any USB device).

With all these great AVCHD authoring tools popping up, AVCHD on a FAT32 hard drive has quickly become my authoring method of choice for playback on the PS3. Trouble is, my FAT32 drive now contains lots of titles and I'm sick of renaming them all the time. I've written this tool to make that process quicker and easier.

Place the .exe on the root of your USB device and run it. It looks like this:

The current default AVCHD folder is shown at the top and a list of all the other AVCHD compatible folders is at the bottom. Just select a folder, click "Make default" and the current AVCHD folder will be renamed and the selected folder will be renamed to AVCHD. Of course, to rename intelligently, the app needs to know the name of the movie. This is stored in a "details.txt" file in the root of each AVCHD folder. You can make those yourself or just click "Identify" - a prompt will appear, which defaults to the name of the folder, asking you to enter the movie title. This is then saved to details.txt.

There is now an updated version which has a "Done (Safely remove drive)" button which does what it says really. This new function has been tested and confirmed working on Vista and XP.

Update 1.2.0.0: All functions of new AVCHDMe are included as is AVCHD-Undo. Also added Explore button and space free on drive and list is now sorted alphabetically.

Update 1.3.3.0: Red/green flags next to each movie to indicate if filenames adhere to 8.3 standard or not so it's now easy to see which movies you need to run AVCHDMe on and which movies are already PS3 ready at a glance. Also added tooltips for long movie titles which dont fit in the column, tooltips for a few of the buttons and an "Export to text file" button which will save your movie list to a text file.

Update 1.3.6.0: Added error checking for copying of fixlcpi.exe and fixclpi.exe is now cleaned up from the CLIPINF folder after running AVCHDMe and added workaround for Vista UAC. Exported movie list now includes folder sizes.

Update 1.4.0.0: Removed all CLPI fixes as new TSMuxer takes care of these. Made proper icon for app.

Update 1.5.0.0: Added list box at the bottom to display multiple titles - this is intended to display all the seperate items you have put in the same AVCHD using MultiAVCHD. Added video/audio codec, duration and imdb URL (these must be defined in details.txt). New Identify function lets you enter all this extra information. MultiAVCHD has already been updated to output the new format details.txt.

Update 1.5.5.0: Bugfix which fixes problem where empty rows with a red sqaure would appear if no details.txt existed. AVCHDManager can now be run from any location - doesn't have to be the root of a drive. Improved insertion of IMDB links where the user hasn't defined one. Incorporated new workaround for UAC - shouldn't prompt every time it is run now. Couple of minor bugfixes.

Update 1.6.3.0: Video/audio codec and duration information is now automatically detected if missing when you press 'Identify'. Settings button to enable/disable this feature. Refresh button added. New progress animation while detecting. Auto re-select movie after identifying. Minor bugfixes.

Download here.

Also, if you put the following in Notepad and save as autorun.inf:

Code:
[Autorun]
shell\Manage=Manage AVCHD folders
shell\Manage\command=AVCHDManager.exe
and place that on the root of your USB drive, you'll get this handy right-click menu option on the drive which will launch AVCHD Manager:

You could also add the line "open=AVCHDManager.exe" if you want it to run automatically.

Last edited by idbirch2; 4th May 2009 at 19:49. Reason: New version - 1.6.3.0
idbirch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 22:06   #2  |  Link
Krawhitham

nice program

Midnight Run? HD-DVD convert?
Krawhitham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 22:07   #3  |  Link
idbirch2

Correct, HD-DVD convert.
Old 1st January 2009, 22:55   #4  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Thanks for this handy tool. I was planning on implementing something similar in my app, to distinguish the existing and newly created avchd folders.

I'm too using ps3 with ext usb hdd and got sick of renaming tons of folders, so I'll put it in my [autorun]
deank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 03:36   #5  |  Link
~bT~
н∂-ƒαиαтι¢

cheers for this nifty app!
~bT~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 21:20   #6  |  Link
idbirch2

Just updated this to a new version - there's now a "Done (Safely Remove Drive)" button which performs the "safely Remove Hardware" routine on the drive for you. Download link updated in first post.
Old 8th January 2009, 15:27   #7  |  Link
idbirch2

Another new version is now available. I've integrated AVCHDMe and "AVCHDMe-Undo" which is for reversing the AVCHDMe renaming. I've scrapped my hex editing clpi fix code and implemented deank's code instead as it is more reliable - props to Dean for that.

I've also added an [Explore] button to open the currently selected folder and added a readout of the current free space on your drive. I've updated the first post with the new link and a new screenshot.

Last edited by idbirch2; 28th January 2009 at 18:00.
Old 8th January 2009, 18:17   #8  |  Link
idbirch2

Sorry to those who have just grabbed the update, I've just made another small change, the list of movies is now sorted alphabetically. Download from link in first post.

Last edited by idbirch2; 28th January 2009 at 18:00.
Old 12th January 2009, 09:45   #9  |  Link
coolalibaba

nice little app, Thanks!
coolalibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 13:28   #10  |  Link
idbirch2

I created a guide for another forum on the process of remuxing a BD and AVCHDManager usgage so I thought I'd post it here too:

OK, I don't know of a decent guide anywhere that covers this whole process, so I thought I'd better step up. If you want to watch BluRay structures on your PS3 without losing stuff like VC-1 video, DTS-HD audio etc, then this is for you.

The first step is to use TSMuxer to create a BluRay structure. In the example below, I'm doing Independence Day. Untick the streams you don't need:

As you can see, I'm keeping the DTS-HD audio, commentaries and English subs. IMPORTANT: The above screenshot is outdated, make sure you select the "AVCHD" option for your output mode. Only one other thing to change in TSMuxer, split every 4GB:

This is because only FAT32 drives are supported on the PS3 which imposes a 4GB maximum filesize.

You can tell TSMuxer to output directly to your USB disk or copy it over afterwards, it doesn't matter. At this point, make sure you have AVCHDManager on the root of your USB drive. Let's have a quick overview of AVCHDManager and why its needed before we continue:

Something to understand before we continue: the PS3 will only recognise 1 movie at a time on a USB disk, it will only look for a folder on the root of the drive called "AVCHD". For this reason, you can store as many films on the drive as you like but the PS will only see one of them. In order to change which film it sees, the current AVCHD folder must be renamed back to the movie title and the next movie folder you want to view renamed to "AVCHD". AVCHDManager performs both renames for you just by clicking the 'Make Default' button.

Moving on, there are 2 buttons in AVCHDManager which you should use on every movie - 'Identifiy' and 'AVCHDMe'.

The Identify button

The first column just shows a list of directories which appear to contain a valid BluRay/AVCHD folder structure. The next column is the title of the movie. This is stored in a "details.txt" file inside each movie folder and for that reason, they will all say "Unknown" if you are using AVCHDManager for the first time. Before you do anything else, click "Identify" and enter the name of the movie, do this for all movies in your list.

Lets say we have run all the necessary fixes on the 'Aliens' folder and renamed it to 'AVCHD'. We have watched the movie, thoroughly enjoyed it and now want to watch Superman. This would be done by simply clicking on the Superman folder and pressing 'Make Default'. So AVCHDManager needs to rename the 'AVCHD' folder back to 'Aliens' and then rename the 'Superman folder to 'AVCHD'. How does it know to rename back to 'Aliens' though? That's why we need the details.txt and the Identify button.

The AVCHDMe button

A requirement that the PS3 demands of an AVCHD folder is that the files inside must be in the 8.3 standard. That is to say, they must be no longer than 8 characters with a 3 letter file extension. AVCHDMe renames all files for you to this standard.

Additional

To make the process a bit smoother, put the following in Notepad and save as autorun.inf:

Code:
[Autorun]
shell\Manage=Manage AVCHD folders
shell\Manage\command=AVCHDManager.exe
Place autorun.inf on the root of your USB drive and you'll get this handy right-click menu option on the drive which will launch AVCHD Manager:

You could also add the line "open=AVCHDManager.exe" if you want it to run automatically.

In Summary

There's quite a lot there but once you've got your head round it, it's fairly straight forward. Each time you copy a new movie to your USB drive, make sure you ID it thus creating the details.txt file and that you click AVCHDMe to fix all the clpi issues and rename the files. Other than that, you will just be connecting the drive, choosing your next movie and clicking 'Make Default'.

You can download AVCHDManager from the link in the first post of this thread.

Last edited by idbirch2; 28th December 2010 at 14:12.
Old 13th January 2009, 10:10   #11  |  Link
Butterfly666

This is a very handy program, thanks for this!
Butterfly666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 06:39   #12  |  Link
insaneoctane

This is so the app I've been looking for!
One- question...is there anyway we can write an app for the PS3 that does this so that we don't have to keep plugging and unplugging our HDD?
Two- comment...I've been using eac3to in the front end to figure out what the languages are (audio and sub-titles) and to export the original chapter points...is there a way to do this all from tsMuxeR?
insaneoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 10:03   #13  |  Link
idbirch2

1) No. Well maybe someone else can but I wouldn't know where to start.
2) TSMuxer can import chapter lists but not create them
Old 14th January 2009, 15:03   #14  |  Link
odin24

@idbirch2
Is there anywhere else I can download this, mediafire is have issues with their server. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneoctane
One- question...is there anyway we can write an app for the PS3 that does this so that we don't have to keep plugging and unplugging our HDD?
Two- comment...I've been using eac3to in the front end to figure out what the languages are (audio and sub-titles) and to export the original chapter points...is there a way to do this all from tsMuxeR?
Solution to question #1
I have an external HDD that has a RJ45 network connection, I can mount it to my PC (through my home network) as if it were a local drive, and also have it connected to my PS3 at all times via USB.

I have it partitioned as well, a 50GB FAT32 and the rest NTFS. I can manage the files through my PC, transfer to the FAT32 partition and view on my PS3, without disconnecting.

Answer to question #2
Yes, you need to open the correct MPLS file in the PLAYLIST folder, instead of the largest m2ts file. eac3to can figure this out for you. Be aware though, with seamless branching titles eac3to is the preferred demuxer.
odin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 15:41   #15  |  Link
idbirch2

Sure, here's a temporary link while MediaFire is down. I don't know if this file host is any good I just googled for free hosting and found them. edit: Removed.

Last edited by idbirch2; 27th January 2009 at 15:44.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:59   #16  |  Link
odin24

No good... page not found. Thanks anyway. I'll wait for mediafire to resolve their issues, I don't need AVCHD Manager right away anyway. I just wanted to test with the movie I'm watching right now, I used the AVCHDMe instead.

Thanks again.
Old 14th January 2009, 16:07   #17  |  Link
musicman2311

hi there, I just saw this and it looks very interesting. I have a question about something I do not quite understand. Since PS3 can only use FAT 32 disks, let's say I have a 20 GB movie in 5 parts, i.e. 5 files at 4 GByte each.

How do you watch the movie in one ? or can you not?

thanks

PS: just came to my mind - do you say you create a complete AVCHD structure which links the 5 parts in kind of a seamless branching way ? Does tsmuxer do that automatically ? (i didnt know !)

Last edited by musicman2311; 14th January 2009 at 16:14.
musicman2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 16:24   #18  |  Link
idbirch2

musicman, read the guide a few posts up.

odin24, link in first post now working.

Last edited by idbirch2; 28th January 2009 at 18:01. Reason: Link fixed
Old 14th January 2009, 17:53   #19  |  Link
odin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbirch2 View Post
musicman, read the guide a few posts up.

odin24, Here's another link, try that.
Got it, thanks.

Last edited by odin24; 16th January 2009 at 01:23.
Old 14th January 2009, 18:10   #20  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneoctane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by idbirch2 View Post
1) No. Well maybe someone else can but I wouldn't know where to start.
I guess a BD-J application could do this. I'm not really sure about it, because PS3 won't allow simple renaming of files/folders via XMB. I've never used the BD-J SDK but probably it is a good start point for a research.

BD-J applications can manipulate BD players' internal storage space, but I don't know if they could handle external hard drives.

Tags
avchd, avchdmanager, avchdme, ps3