Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 5th March 2007, 01:48   #21  |  Link
ShadowFlare

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirio49 View Post
Yes, but only for newer disks. Old disk will still play fine.
and we will have to find a new key
From what I understand, old disks may still work as long as you do not play newer disks on any software player that supports revocation. However, the moment you play a newer disk on a player that supports revocation while using your drive, the older host private key will not work with the drive (I.E. the drive will no longer give out volume IDs when using the older host private key).

That is, if the player has to do something to tell the drive about the revocation. If the drive detects it by itself, then attempting to play a newer disc will result in the drive refusing to work with the older host private key.

Assuming that the player does need to tell the drive about the revocation, then an older host private key could theoretically be used in a non-revocation-compliant player even on newer discs and then only a newer device key or processing key would be needed. However, I'm sure AACS LA would not have left such a big hole open, meaning that the host key revocation is probably an automatic thing on the drives (for example, if the drive checks the host signature against something on the disc).

Of course, older discs will still be able to be decrypted, as the volume unique keys or volume IDs for the discs will have likely already been published.

Last edited by ShadowFlare; 5th March 2007 at 01:54.
ShadowFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 06:20   #22  |  Link
arnezami

I believe this was already clear but I will explain it very clearly now:

When a new disc is inserted the drive is told not to give Volume IDs to the Software Player with the now found Private Key. It will remember this in its permanent memory.

This means that from that moment: old and new discs will not work anymore (because of the missing Volume ID). Until we find a new Private Key that is.

Of course if you store (or we let the program automatically store) all VUKs for all old discs you inserted before putting in the new disc in the drive these old discs can still be decrypted based on the VUKs.

The reason: VUKs are not revokable (as muslix64 already pointed out).

Thats why we always have to keep collecting VUKs. This is just an easier way and a program can do it automatically.

Last edited by arnezami; 8th March 2007 at 17:40.
arnezami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 11:44   #23  |  Link
SuperGoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnezami View Post
When a new disc is inserted the drive is told not to give Volume IDs to the Software Player with the now found Private Key. It will remember this in its permanent memory.

This means that from that moment: old and new discs will not work anymore (because of the missing Volume ID). Until we find a new Private Key that is.
Hi arnezami,

Then how will you explain this:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread....5247#post15247

Slysoft developers say AnyDVD HD will not be affected by this scenario...
SuperGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 14:07   #24  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@supergoof

A one line answer with no technical theory to back it up? Just sounds like "trust me, I'm a salesman" to me. I suppose they are inferring that they'll find a kludge when the time comes (as they do for regular DVDs that AnyDVD has problems with).

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 19:15   #25  |  Link
arnezami

This is for those eagerly awaiting a proggy:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/g6vuw3

Its just a windows ported version of the program made by jx6bpm (which was written for linux). So it will "only" give you the Volume ID. But thats pretty cool by itself . (combining it with evdberg's mkb.exe program you can in fact already retrieve VUKs this way).

Please test it on different machines etc to see if there are any problems.

I will extend this program, clean up the source and will then release all. This will take at least several days given my available time.

Regards,

arnezami

Last edited by arnezami; 5th March 2007 at 22:20.
Old 5th March 2007, 20:52   #26  |  Link
guile

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnezami View Post
This is for those eagerly awaiting a proggy:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/g6vuw3

Its just a windows ported version of the program made by jx6bpm (which was written for linux). So it will "only" give you the Volume ID. But thats pretty cool by itself . (using evdberg's mkb.exe program you can in fact already retrieve VUKs this way).

Please test it on different machines etc to see if there are any problems.

I will extend this program, clean up the source and will then release all. This will take at least several days given my available time.

Regards,

arnezami

I really don't want to sound like a suck up Arnezami but you really are awesome bro. The wealth of knowledge you have brought to this forum (not to mention the time you have devoted) is truly amazing. Keep up the terrific work.

g
guile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 21:42   #27  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@guile -

@arnezami and everyone - for all your hard work.

Regards

Old 5th March 2007, 22:37   #28  |  Link
arnezami

Thanks for all those kind words .

You guys just promise one thing: if something would ever happen to me (or for some reason I will go silent) you will double your own efforts and never stop at trying to defeat DRM!

Then will my mission would have really been worth it .

But I know you will .

My intend has always been to inspire other people to let the big (movie) industries know we will buy their stuff gladly. But we will not tolerate them to restrict our fair use rights and if they try we will embarras them while trying. Until they realize its pointless.

The really determined people are not the pirates: its the people who feel unjustified and will do everything in their power to regain their own fair use rights. Honest people will and should always fight unjust laws and policies.

Regards,

arnezami

Last edited by arnezami; 8th March 2007 at 17:42.
Old 5th March 2007, 22:40   #29  |  Link
hoozdapimp
lost in space

Agreed. Your dedication and information you have provided are invaluable to the community.

I wonder how long it will be until someone releases an open sourced HD/BD player that uses these keys.
hoozdapimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 01:12   #30  |  Link
melakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozdapimp View Post
Agreed. Your dedication and information you have provided are invaluable to the community.

I wonder how long it will be until someone releases an open sourced HD/BD player that uses these keys.
I'm eager to see an open source player as well - but I must admit, given the recent trouble with BackupHDDVD on Sourceforge, coupled with the high probability of new keys to be needed in the future (revocation is inevitable), it might be better to implement a program that uses a user-definable device key that wouldn't be distributed with the program itself.

Aside from this small point, I imagine development is about to pick back up.
melakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 02:28   #31  |  Link
jokin
Dwight Schrute's homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melakai View Post
I'm eager to see an open source player as well - but I must admit, given the recent trouble with BackupHDDVD on Sourceforge, coupled with the high probability of new keys to be needed in the future (revocation is inevitable), it might be better to implement a program that uses a user-definable device key that wouldn't be distributed with the program itself.

Aside from this small point, I imagine development is about to pick back up.
I was thinking the same thing but with a user definable "device key" database that the program uses to test to see if a key works for the movie and if it does not then it trys the next one. This could also incorporate BackupHDDVD/BlRay into it under a tools tab to allow an all-in-one application.
jokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 12:47   #32  |  Link
greath

And yes, thank you arnezami for imparting your knowledge.

Corrected: Link does work. Too many pop ups and adverts to see the wood for the trees:-)

Last edited by greath; 7th March 2007 at 12:51.
greath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 12:48   #33  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Link is fine here.

Regards

Old 10th March 2007, 18:15   #34  |  Link
HD Hell

Congrats to arnezami and all here! Keep up the good work! I am now backing up my BDs and am very happy.
HD Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2007, 18:27   #35  |  Link
arnezami

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hell View Post
Congrats to arnezami and all here! Keep up the good work! I am now backing up my BDs and am very happy.
You're welcome .

(although I'm not sure how my program I released above can help you decrypt BDs. But you may not referring to that specifically. Or are you?)
Old 10th March 2007, 19:03   #36  |  Link
plasmacutter

and if arnenzami makes the program to produce all keys?

either way.. this looks like one more step off the flow chart in the aacs topic ^^
plasmacutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2007, 19:06   #37  |  Link
plasmacutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melakai View Post
given the recent trouble with BackupHDDVD on Sourceforge,
I remember the excuse they gave on the news sites i was reading..

apparently they clamed the keys being used were copywritten themselves? how the heck do you copyright a number?
plasmacutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 01:12   #38  |  Link
xyz987

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmacutter View Post

apparently they clamed the keys being used were copywritten themselves? how the heck do you copyright a number?
Far good point ;-DDDDDD

They are trying to copyright random numbers ;-DDDDDD
xyz987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 10:19   #39  |  Link
bcrabl

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmacutter View Post

These numbers are secret so cannot be copyrighted. In order to copyright something you have to publish it. Check the copyright law, the copyright starts from the moment something is published.
And I bet no court would ever say that a random number can be copyrighted
bcrabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 19:08   #40  |  Link
Fahzuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
@supergoof

A one line answer with no technical theory to back it up? Just sounds like "trust me, I'm a salesman" to me. I suppose they are inferring that they'll find a kludge when the time comes (as they do for regular DVDs that AnyDVD has problems with).

Regards
No, the way it sounds, AnyDVD is really not going to shut down, when the keys get revoked.
"No technical theory to back it up": they will do a damn to reveal their mechanisms, after all they do this for a living, there's no reason to make it easier for the competitors (which so far are nowhere to see)...
Fahzuu is offline   Reply With Quote