Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 28th July 2012, 00:02   #1  |  Link
A.Fenderson

BD-RB: Enforce AVCHD-compliant video on BD25 full backup?

I've searched and not found this question asked previously.

I'm wondering if it's currently possible to configure BD-Rebuilder such that all video streams that are reencoded are AVCHD-compliant streams (either with the 18 Mbps DVD-media limitation or otherwise the 24 Mbps "other media" limitation), even when the output mode is full-backup to BD25.

The reason for this is that I anticipate (perhaps incorrectly) that certain tablet computers etc may start to become AVCHD-licensed/compliant players, in which case it would be incredibly nice to be able to play my BD25 backups without reencoding the video and instead, at most, reencoding audio only and/or remuxing (either via BD-RB in movie-only output mode or otherwise).

Bonus question!
Concerning the video stream aspect only: besides the video bitrates and other restrictions given for AVCHD on its Wikipedia page, is AVCHD (prior to the 2.0/Progressive addendum) strictly a subset of the general Blu-ray AVC video encoding limitations, or are there additional, "hidden" restrictions (possibly relating to level, profile, GOP lengths, etc etc) that AVCHD enforces?
A.Fenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 16:31   #2  |  Link
jdobbs

Create a profile for MP4 (not iPOD or iPAD) or MKV with the correct maximum bitrates and AC3 as the audio output format, BD-RB will, by default, use all the the other settings that makes it compliant.

AVCHD is a subset of the BD. So an AVCHD source will always work for BD authoring -- but a BD source won't necessarily always work for AVCHD authoring.

Last edited by jdobbs; 29th July 2012 at 16:34.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avchd, bd-rebuilder, bd25