Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd September 2017, 19:06   #45301  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
For real movies , movie theatre and such, Should I use Ordered Diffusion , Error Diffusion 1 or 2 ? cause many people suggest Ordered , but Error 2 for Anime .

When should I enable Use Colored noise and Change dither for every Frame ?
You need to test and compare in order to decide what looks best to you.
Personally I can only see a difference between Ordered and Error Diffusion at up to 6-bit at normal vewing distances on film content. When using 8-bit I don't see the difference unless I have my nose on the screen.
I didn't test anime yet.

Colored Noise and Change Dither for Every Frame are just personal preferences, I personally can't stand them especially Colored Noise.
Old 2nd September 2017, 19:50   #45302  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
is Windows 8.1 as of now still more recommendable than windows 10 for 4k playback with madVR?
madshi still says the DWM is better in Windows 8.1 but all the new HDR features are only supported in 10 if that is important to you.

Windows 10 works perfectly for me with multiple displays running different refresh rates so I am not sure what the relative benefit of 8.1 would be, it is probably very minor or use case specific. Edit: Both are much improved over Windows 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Colored Noise and Change Dither for Every Frame are just personal preferences, I personally can't stand them especially Colored Noise.
I agree! Especially about colored noise!

Last edited by Asmodian; 2nd September 2017 at 20:13.
Asmodian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 20:37   #45303  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I agree! Especially about colored noise!
My point exactly, I always uncheck use colored noise, the second option is ok.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 20:41   #45304  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
but all the new HDR features are only supported in 10 if that is important to you.
Thats not exactly true. With FSE you can get full 10-bit HDR output on Windows 8.1 as well, at least if using the private vendor APIs, which appears to work better on NVIDIA at least anyway.

On top of that, Windows 10 is playing a bit of a catch-up game with HDR. Microsoft is changing how HDR works every Windows 10 release, and the video drivers are only adapting to that slowly, leading to bugs (both in Windows and the drivers)
Windows 10 has some advantages, like the 10-bit fullscreen windowed mode, which is kinda neat, but it also has its share of issues still. Hopefully that changes over time, though.
Old 2nd September 2017, 21:18   #45305  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
My point exactly, I always uncheck use colored noise, the second option is ok.
what this colored noise looks like in movies ? why it's so bad ?
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 21:54   #45306  |  Link
JarrettH

Video and stills already have a bit of colour noise. Is it more natural to have it on?
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 22:15   #45307  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
what this colored noise looks like in movies ? why it's so bad ?
It doesn't look good, most people are not using it.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 23:19   #45308  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Dithering mostly depends on your screen, there is no universal answer - different panels make dithering noise look different. There is only one choice, to try and judge with your eyes. Theoretically Error-Diffusion is better, in practice however most people will never be able to tell any difference, and it costs quite a bit of performance.
Old 2nd September 2017, 23:20   #45309  |  Link
mparade

When playing 4K 24fps HDR content I get continuously dropped frames with jerky playback, however average rendering stats is below 30ms. My display is an older 4K LG TV without HDR function, so I let madvr convert HDR to SDR.
I didn't have such problems with other content.

Any help would be appreciated.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 08:49   #45310  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
Any help would be appreciated.
Help us help you..
SPECS.
OSD.

C'mon.. Your post was literally "Please help"
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 09:20   #45311  |  Link
Dewde

I'm trying to play a 2880x2880 file on a 4k LG OLED, but I'm getting a black screen instead when going fullscreen on the TV. Sound plays, no image though, but if I move the mouse over the lower part of the screen, the MPC-BE playback bar appears fine.

The TV is connected via HDMI to the PC. The same file plays fine on my PC monitor when going full-screen on 1920x1200.

I'm using:
MPC-BE 1.5.1 (b2755)
LAV 0.70.2
madVR 0.91.11

All of the above are x64. Any idea what the problem could be? Could it be madVR?
Dewde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 09:51   #45312  |  Link
ryrynz

Any display or custom modes set? Try resetting to defaults after backing up to help narrow it down.
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:02   #45313  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Help us help you..
SPECS.
OSD.

C'mon.. Your post was literally "Please help"
Sorry, but I haven't reported here any problem yet.

Currently the following hardware, software are in use:

Kodi 17.3 Dsplayer version
Windows 10 64 bit OS
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
LAV 0.69.0.81
madVR 0.91.10
i3-6100@3.7GHz

During play my CPU is on 100% utilization, however I am using DXVA2 for hardware decoding.

Sorry for asking, but regarding OSD, do you mean a screen shot of rendering stats during play?
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:05   #45314  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
During play my CPU is on 100% utilization, however I am using DXVA2 for hardware decoding.
And that there is your problem. Doesn't matter what you're using to display video on, your CPU should never be running max utilization during playback ever.
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:26   #45315  |  Link
mparade

I know, but I do not understand how this could happen using such a hardware and software configuration. In case of upscaling HD to UHD, the CPU average utilization is ~20% with high quality settings used. In case of no any doubling (when source is 4K, output is 4K) the CPU seems to be "exploding"...I assume madvr/LAV filters/Nvidia drivers has some problem with high bit-depth HEVC streams to decode/render them correctly.

Last edited by mparade; 3rd September 2017 at 11:18.
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:38   #45316  |  Link
ryrynz

No need to quote when replying directly after my post. UHD is generally quite demanding and you only have a dual core CPU which is insufficient for the tasks you require of it, you need to upgrade to a recent quad core at least.
Old 3rd September 2017, 11:16   #45317  |  Link
mparade

Could be more demanding than doubling a HD source using the same fps, codec, bit-depth?

P.S.

I have never been noted not to quote when replying directly after a post (deleted the quotes). Furthermore, I do not really think it has much of interest (but surely can adapt to it if required). Anyway, thank you very much for the help.

Last edited by mparade; 3rd September 2017 at 11:20.
Old 3rd September 2017, 11:16   #45318  |  Link
nussman

@mparade: First of all you should update LAV filter and madVR.
Did you tried another player? i.e. MPC-HC or MPC-BE
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 11:19   #45319  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Video and stills already have a bit of colour noise. Is it more natural to have it on?
I think the problem is that coloured noise is kind of an unwanted characteristic in digital media. When source media already has it it's because they were shot in very low light and the sensor of the camera was 'in way over its head' so to speak. Whereas film only did make the whole picture grainier when boosting speed, digital sensors start showing magenta or green noise which is visually much less pleasing. I guess coloured noise dithering gives the same look.

@mparade:
1. check in LAV Video properties the 'active decoder' during playback, to make sure that DXVA is indeed used. GeForce 1060 can't play VP9 10-bit (Profile 2), for instance, so if your HDR file is coming straight from YouTube it won't be decoded in hardware.
2. Check the queues in the OSD. When testing, I encountered situations where the rendering times were confortably below the frame time but either the decode or the present queues were not filling up and frames were being dropped.
3. Do you use Copy-Back? Try Native just for a test. On my system I can't watch 4K using Copy-Back. Your system is very recent but test it anyway, you never know.
Note: if you update to latest madVR version and LAV nightly, you can use DX11VA Native, which doesn't have the quality issues of DXVA2N.
Old 3rd September 2017, 11:24   #45320  |  Link
mparade

I am going to update LAV filters and madVR now. Give you a feedback shortly. Only SMplayer could play correctly these 12-bit HEVC HDR files. According to the specs of my GTX 1060 and the latest Nvidia drivers this card does support 12-bit HEVC decoding: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-a-k-a-h-265-/

Last edited by mparade; 3rd September 2017 at 11:26.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling