Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 17th April 2009, 22:12   #41  |  Link
vwpassion

It's the PAL DVD of Bedtime Stories (Disney).

Last edited by vwpassion; 17th April 2009 at 22:18.
vwpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 23:42   #42  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpucoder View Post
As of April 1 the site's information is free. I also recommend reading JimTaylor's book, and using my site to fill in the blanks that Kermit (inside joke) could not publish without breaking the NDA he signed. Ralph LaBarge's book covers more aspects of the workflow to make a DVD, but less detail of the nuts and bolts.
Thanks for that mpucoder!

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 06:10   #43  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by david42 View Post
I found it at http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/setgprmops.php . Apparently it's difficult to find a free copy of the DVD spec on a site that wants to sell it. Thanks for the hint that they have faulty info.
Correction... A minor RND description fault. The site is great and to be thanked for sharing all the accurate info it contains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david42 View Post
Can you point me at a real pdf that explains all the PGC commands and how they really work please? I'd also like a pdf copy of the whole DVD spec if free. I see no point in paying for standards that should be free.
I can't always be online. Is there any chance of getting a pdf of the site's spec (free of course)?
david42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:38   #44  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

david - despite what you think, the standards are only released to those who pay $5,000 AND sign a non-disclosure agreement.

No-one can, or will, give you this.

Should you wish to purchase DVD Replica's unofficial document, you are free to do so.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 22nd April 2009 at 07:41.
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:47   #45  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
david - despite what you think, the standards are only released to those who pay $5,000 AND sign a non-disclosure agreement.

No-one can, or will, give you this.

Should you wish to purchase DVD Replica's unofficial document, you are free to do so.

Regards
Ok, got it now. I was unsure if my search effort was flawed or it was out there and just required an extra exhaustive attempt to track it down.
david42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 11:14   #46  |  Link
turbojet

Is there any plans for blanking and/or stripping streams like vobblanker does?

If so, is there any plans on blanking/stripping through menu buttons?

Some examples I can think of using this are:
1. hide button for trailers that plays VTS2 PGC 1,2,3 it asks if you want to blank all the targets, if yes it blanks and moves VTS2 PGC 1, 2, 3 vob's to backup folder when you save dvd.
2. hide french audio or sub menu button it asks if you want to strip the stream, if yes it strips the stream and moves original to backup on save dvd.
3. kill pgc playback instead of asking to blank cells for vobblanker it would remove the cells content on save dvd.
4. disable an audio or sub stream through the pgc editor it would ask if you want to remove the stream, backs up original vob on save dvd.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 14:37   #47  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

PgcEdit does not strip streams and there is no intention to do the things you mentioned.

Regards

Old 1st May 2009, 15:40   #48  |  Link
turbojet

Bummer, would make the program much more user friendly but I can understand it would be some work to implement it.

I'll just keep on swapping apps like I have been, tracing in one blanking in another.

Hopefully BD menu editing/blanking/stripping comes in one program.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 00:34   #49  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

What you suggest would really be nice, but PgcEdit is not at all a VOB file editor (although it can modify the menu buttons, append tiny black cells, or blank entire domains.) Furthermore, the philosophy of PgcEdit is to be as fast as possible. It's possible only because it doesn't modify the VOBs, and doesn't have to rewrite them. Since there are good apps (such as VobBlanker) to do what you want, I have no intention to implement that kind of thing.

Also, detecting what PGC is called by a menu button is not always simple. A full trace of the DVD must be done to be sure that the real target(s) is (are) detected. And if you have to do a trace anyway, it is as easy to blank the cells from the preview, and process the VOBs with VobBlanker of FixVTS when you have finished. Combined with the Blank All PGCs in Domain and Remove Useless Stuff functions, you have everything you need to clean your DVD up. (BTW, I use VobBlanker only to replace the cells or the menu backgrounds, and I do all the blanking job with PgcEdit and FixVTS, without having to quit PgcEdit.)
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 19:29   #50  |  Link
Nordin

Hi
I have a problem with Pgcedit.
I used v9.1 and one time it went wrong (at Wxp). The PreView funktion lost. In all windows the PreView buttons animate, but the PreView window not appears, however the Pgcedit runs, in Trace mode it counts the time and steps the next track or pg. (PreView menu also not works)
Manually start the PgcEditPreview.exe runs, its blanc window appears.
I uninstalled PgcEdit with Options menu, deleted it's folders from the Program Files and Documents and Settings, cleared marks from the Registry and deleted it's files from the Windows\Prefetch folder. I installed again(v9.2), but the mistake same.
I uninstalled once more as like up and installed v8.6. The result better, but not perfect: in Tace mode the PreView window appears, sorry the PreView buttons not work.
What have I do?
Please Help?
Thanks

Last edited by Nordin; 2nd May 2009 at 19:58.
Nordin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:51   #51  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, sometimes, the preview stays blocked on a badly formatted still-frame VOB. Its window is not visible, and you cannot launch another preview from the same instance of PgcEdit. But it is usually enough to kill the preview from the task manager, or to reboot to fix the problem. I suppose you have tried that, right?

You should also try to change the options in the Preview menu. In particular, try to disable the DirectDraw overlays. (If it works, then you have probably installed a program that causes a conflict with your DirectX filters.) Try also to change the playback mode, although I doubt that this option could help.

I can't help much more.
Old 12th May 2009, 05:51   #52  |  Link
arrirc
Aminei

Thank you for developing PgcEdit, its an excellent tool, even for a 'not so advanced user' like myself. I have been going through the help of PgcEdit looking for a way to delete one angle from the DVD (I was planing to back up), but unfortunately I could not fathom the guidance, and I could not match the screen shot with the present version (pardon my ignorance, if any). So could it be possible to clarify "Angle Deletion Process" a little bit more?

Secondly, I found one function in PgcEdit named "Remove Useless Stuff" under Menu>DVD. Is it safe to use for users like me? Could you please elaborate it a little bit more? I have applied this macro on 2 DVDs and it seems it really cleans up things, but I must admit that my understanding of this feature is rather very superficial.

Lastly, can "Domain Stream Attributes" function be used directly to remove any unwanted Audio and subtitle stream?

I am using the latest version of PgcEdit.

Thanks again.
arrirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 06:35   #53  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

1. Click Del Angles in the PGCEditor. Tick the angle(s) you want to keep (you can preview these beforehand with the previewer, but typically, you'd want to keep angle 1). OK and then reclaim the space with VobBlanker y loading the project into VobBlanker and clicking Process for the VTS and then Process down the bottom.

2. Yes, it is totally safe. It does all the things in the dialogue. You can safely keep them all ticked. The help file is very detailed on what this function does.

3. No - you need something like VobBlanker to strip streams from the VOBs. However, if you only remove them from the IFOs via the DSA, then, if space is not an issue, they won't show up when you cycle the remote.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 12th May 2009 at 06:39.
Old 12th May 2009, 10:01   #54  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I agree with blu, but here are some precisions.

1. It is usually safe to keep ONE angle ONLY! Many programs, including VobBlanker and FixVTS cannot properly rebuild the angle pointers in the VOBs if you strip some of them but leave several angles in place. If you want lo leave, say, two angles, you can use DVDShrink to compress the unreferenced angles at the maximum compression ratio and remove their audio tracks completely, but afaik, there is currently no easy way to remove them completely without reencoding. Anyway, use VB or FixVTS only if you leave all angles or only one.

2. Remove Useless Stuff is a collection of safe functions that you can use independently also, grouped together to quickly simplify the DVD. In some rare cases, a function can be unsafe, but in that case, you will be prompted to continue anyway, or abort that particular function.
BTW, I am currently working on new functions that will be added to Remove Useless Stuff in PgcEdit v9.3.

3. The Delete Stream function in DSA has been added so that you can rearrange the streams left over after having stripped them, for example with DVDShrink with the option to remap the streams off. However, as blu explained, it cannot be used to remove the stream from the VOB. (Unfortunately, if you have removed the stream references with PgcEdit, you have no way to tell DVDShrink to strip it from the VOBs as it not visible in its GUI any more. To remove a stream and regain its disc space, you should always use Shrink before PgcEdit. Same thing for VobBlanker.)
Old 12th May 2009, 17:06   #55  |  Link
arrirc
Aminei

Thank you very much- blutach and r0lz.

Firstly,
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lz
BTW, I am currently working on new functions that will be added to Remove Useless Stuff in PgcEdit v9.3.
I am eagerly looking forward, thanks again for your excellent effort and the result.

Now,
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach
and then reclaim the space with VobBlanker y loading the project into VobBlanker and clicking Process for the VTS and then Process down the bottom.
I know this thread is not exactly for this question, but could it possible for you to elaborate it a little more? Please note, that I have never used VB as such.

Regarding backing up a DVD with multiple angles, I think DVDFab can rip a DVD to HDD stripping all the unnecessary angles (sorry I really do not much about this particular type of DVD or the ripping process of the same). In that case I believe the result can be fed both in VB and PgcEdit?

Thanks again

EDIT: the multi-angle DVD that I am referring to is of ALIEN Quadrilogy series.

Last edited by arrirc; 12th May 2009 at 17:12.
arrirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 18:53   #56  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

VobBlanker drops the unreferenced cells (including unused angle cells) automatically when it process the VOBs. So, just be sure that it will process the domain with the angles to strip, and it will do the job. You can untick the menu processing and the other VTS if you wish, to speed the processing up. It is easy to figure out how VB works. There is no need to manually specify which angle cells to remove but you must have removed the angle references with PgcEdit (or Jsoto's DelAngles) before using VB, or it will complain.

If you want to remove all angles but one with PgcEdit, I suggest using FixVTS to strip them. It cannot be easier to use, and is very fast.

Of course, if you remove the angles during the rip, there is no problem. But take care. Rebuilding the remaining angle blocks when some but not all of them have been removed is not easy, and can be a source of numerous bugs. I don't know if Fab can do that, but verify if the DVD plays correctly, including when you use the FF and Rew buttons on a cell that was previously multi-angle.
Old 13th May 2009, 01:45   #57  |  Link
mikenadia

Not callable root menu

I have 3 root menus but the first one VTSM1 is not callable from remote control since no titles in VTS1 are called.
VTSM2 and 3 are callable from remote control.
in my software player ,nothing is happening when I click on "Root menu". I would like it to go to VTSM2 when called from the remote control.
Is it just a "software player" issue, and if not, what can I do ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Edit:
Thanks, r0lZ. It was the PUO.

Last edited by mikenadia; 13th May 2009 at 15:22.
mikenadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 02:37   #58  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The fact that no title is called in a VTS does not mean that the menu of that VTS cannot be called. The Root/Audio/Subpic... menus can be called from the VMGM, just like a Title.

We have not enough information to know how to jump to the VTSM 2. First, you would like to go to that menu when what is playing? A title in VTST 2, or in another VTS? It it's form another VTS, is it already a RootM in that VTS? Have you verified if you can reach it with the PgcEdit virtual player's Root Menu button, even if that menu has no video?

Have you verified the PUOs?
Old 13th May 2009, 11:23   #59  |  Link
goonix

Hi r0lZ

I use PgcEdit as main authoring tool for my music concert recordings. For that reason there are a lot of buttons in the track selection menu. These buttons are sometimes very close together. Especially in the letterbox part of the menu, it is difficult to set the hotspot rectangles precisely, because the sliders sometimes jump in 2 pixel steps.

If the lower line of a button and the upper line of the next button can't be set exactly at the same time (it happens...), my current solution is to edit the saved button ascii text.

Is it possible to change the slider resolution to always 1 pixel steps?
If not, can you add small "<" ">" buttons to the sliders?

goonix
goonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 15:24   #60  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You can already move the slider by 1 pixel by clicking in the white area of the slider, to the right or the left of the handle.