Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 3rd June 2003, 02:17   #1  |  Link
elyk

no video, no audio

Very simple question but I can't find the answer: What do I need to play divx or xvid videos? I have both windows media player 6.4 and 7. Both say the video is playing, but there is no picture or audio, and it gives no error messages.
elyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2003, 02:26   #2  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, elyk!

AVI is a container file; it can have many different types of audio and video. The formats are called Codecs, this term is short for "compressor-decompressor" which, when compressing, converts audio or video into bits in a file, and, when decompressing, converts them back.

So you would think that you'd have to have XviD and DivX codecs installed on your computer. You could do that, or you could instead install a program called "ffdshow." This is an advanced video decompressor that works with many different formats, including both DivX and XviD.

Here are links for downloading:

ffdshow

DivX 505

Nic's XviD
Koepi's XviD
uManiacs XviD

EDIT: As to audio, you may need codecs as well, if you don't happen to have the right one(s) installed. For example, if AC3 (Dolby Digital) is used for a soundtrack, you would get silence if you didn't have the AC3 codec or an "AC3 Filter" installed.

Last edited by jggimi; 3rd June 2003 at 02:29.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2003, 05:48   #3  |  Link
elyk

I tried the DivX player and it gave an error message that said FOURCC = "0". It could not play the file because it did not have the right codec. What is fourcc and what codec would I need to fix this problem?
Old 7th June 2003, 07:10   #4  |  Link
TelemachusMH
Just a kid at heart

I had a friend that had this exact problem about a week ago. Anyway, a fourcc is an identifier code, used to tell what kind of compressor was used to make the video. In your case the fourcc is '0' which I don't think means anything. What you want to do is download the Fourcc Changer from the download section here, then load the video in it, and change the fourcc and descripter to 'DIVX'. Hopefully, after you apply, it should play with video.

TelemachusMH
TelemachusMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2003, 05:35   #5  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

In addition, you might consider trying the GSpot tool.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 05:17   #6  |  Link
elyk

I've tried the gspot tool, it said that the fourcc code was (_RGB). I changed it to DIVX with no luck, then to XVID, but it just won't play. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 14th June 2003, 15:47   #7  |  Link
bond

rgb means uncompressed! so in 90% this file isnt xvid or divx

what does gspot tell under "directshow renderer", what does it say under "audio"?

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 17:10   #8  |  Link
aleksander
Someone, somewhere

Do you by any chance have something obtained in not quite legal way from one of the p2p networks, that was supposed to be a cool movie (sequel) that has hitted the screens month ago???
If so - forget about it - it's a fake. And that's your problem.
Do not obtain anything in that way, otherwise you may expect such things to happen.

take care

aleksander
aleksander is offline   Reply With Quote