Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 3rd April 2006, 23:46   #1  |  Link
Lord Voldemort

How to utilize dual core CPUs with DivX 6? Which encoding software supports SMP?

Hi everybody,

I have searched this forum (and others) for an answer to the following question, but did not find anything useful, so I hope this has not been asked before:

How can I fully utilize my Athlon 64 X2?

From DivX.com:
Quote:
The DivX 6.1 codec now offers multi-threading support, giving you better performance on all HyperThreaded, dual core and dual CPU (SMP) systems. A new 1-pass encoding mode can cut encoding time in half by eliminating the need for multipass encoding in certain applications.
I just don't know how.
In VirtualDub 1.6.14, I get "DivX 6.1.1 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)", but when encoding, only approximately 50% CPU utilization is shown in the Task Manager, so obviously only one core is really used. And in the Codec configuration dialog, there are only the normal 1-pass and 2-pass options, nothing special (like the "new 1-pass encoding mode").

Sooo... what's wrong? Do I have to use a different encoding application to make use of both cores? If so, which?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Lord Voldemort
Lord Voldemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 02:01   #2  |  Link
UFOxyz

My motherboard(Asus P4P800) supports something about "2 Logical CPUs" but I am not sure. But I must insert 2 RAM module in pair.

Whatever this DivX 6.1.1 Codec (2 Logical CPUs) is encodes my DVD 40% to 50% slower than DivX 6.0. but the encoded by DivX 6.2 or 6.1.1 seemed better than 6.0, maybe it was just my illusion . So i am sticking with the newer version, but encoding was slower.
UFOxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 19:05   #3  |  Link
tomos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort
Hi everybody,

I have searched this forum (and others) for an answer to the following question, but did not find anything useful, so I hope this has not been asked before:

How can I fully utilize my Athlon 64 X2?

From DivX.com:

I just don't know how.
In VirtualDub 1.6.14, I get "DivX 6.1.1 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)", but when encoding, only approximately 50% CPU utilization is shown in the Task Manager, so obviously only one core is really used. And in the Codec configuration dialog, there are only the normal 1-pass and 2-pass options, nothing special (like the "new 1-pass encoding mode").

Sooo... what's wrong? Do I have to use a different encoding application to make use of both cores? If so, which?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Lord Voldemort
obvious Q so sorry if you did it - did you specify 2 threads?

C2D E6600, Corsair Nautilus 500 W/C, D975XBX mobo
2x1GB PC6400 G.Skill ZX, 7950 GX2, 4x 74GB Raptor RAID-0,
750GB Seagate, 30" Dell 3007fpw
tomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2006, 00:17   #4  |  Link
DigitAl56K

The codec is only part of the performance equation. Your system must also decode and perhaps apply processing to the video, or management of the buffer. There is also I/O to consider.

Performance is going to depend upon your particular environment.

As far as the codec is concerned, it will launch a thread for each processor detected. The number of processors detected is shown in the codec name in the compressors enumeration.
DigitAl56K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 09:05   #5  |  Link
Kostarum Rex Persia
Banned

Well, why is CPU utilization 50%? With x264 usage is 99 % for both cores.
Kostarum Rex Persia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 09:42   #6  |  Link
tomos

cpu use is 99% on 2 diff pcs for me.

both X2's
tomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 15:40   #7  |  Link
Lord Voldemort

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomos
obvious Q so sorry if you did it - did you specify 2 threads?
Where? How?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitAl56K
As far as the codec is concerned, it will launch a thread for each processor detected. The number of processors detected is shown in the codec name in the compressors enumeration.
It shows two detected CPUs, but it doesn't run two threads, because otherwise I wouldn't get 50% CPU load, but more.

And what about the "new 1-pass encoding mode"? Can't find it anywhere.
Lord Voldemort is offline   Reply With Quote