Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Old 22nd March 2004, 01:46   #1  |  Link
dead

build your own standalone tv recorder

is it possible to build your own stand alone tv recorder? something like tivo that catches your tv episodes?
dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2004, 09:18   #2  |  Link
monty0815

Should be no problem if you have the right hardware.
You need some kind of tv-card, preferably with an onboard mpeg2 encoder, so that the cpu doesn't have to do all the work. Or if you have a satellite dish get a good card for it and you should achieve great quality rips.
You probably need a fast computer if you are planning to do timeshift playback/recording.
If you look into the matter you will find that most software available at the moment has recording support.

That said, if you really only need the recording ability, you could probably just as well get a dvd or harddisc recorder, which might be cheaper.

cheers, monty
monty0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2004, 02:17   #3  |  Link
dead

i just want to capture the tv eps, as i can always just use a tv out card and watch it later, would that be cheaper than buying hardisk recorders or dvd recorders?
Old 23rd March 2004, 02:34   #4  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

MythTV

Here are the instructions for doing it with RedHat FedoraCore and some relatively inexpensive hardware:

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/#intro

I've been using Myth for around 6 months now. Its 100% free, fairly stable, and has tons of features not available on commercial PVRs (commercial skip, movie playing, internet browsing, weather forecasts, etc.)
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2004, 08:20   #5  |  Link
monty0815

Quote:
Originally posted by dead
i just want to capture the tv eps, as i can always just use a tv out card and watch it later, would that be cheaper than buying hardisk recorders or dvd recorders?
that would surely be the cheapest solution, but not as comfortable as a standalone.
monty0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 23:57   #6  |  Link
dead

how about if i built my own standalone tv player and installed that software along with a graphic card that can capture tv? do you need hdtv compatible tv to be able capture hdtv shows?
Old 27th March 2004, 07:11   #7  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

Quote:
Originally posted by dead
how about if i built my own standalone tv player and installed that software along with a graphic card that can capture tv? do you need hdtv compatible tv to be able capture hdtv shows?
Yes, you do need an HDTV card to capture HDTV. They are around $150, and do not have reliable support with MythTV. (in fact, I'm not sure if they have real reliable support with any PVR software for PC)
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2004, 17:09   #8  |  Link
dead

so i dont need a hdtv tv right?