Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th July 2003, 02:33   #1  |  Link
leisuredoc

Fujifilm DVD-R's @ Best Buy

Beware the spindle of Fujifilm DVD-R's at Best Buy! I picked up a spindle of 50 for about US$100 and as soon as I got home, ran ADVDInfo. They had the Fujifilm top side and the whole nine yards.

Result => these are expensive Ritek G03's!

To their credit, Best Buy took them back the next day even though they didn't understand how I know they weren't Fuji's without actually burning one.

And I thought rima.com was charging a lot for Ritek G03's...

leisuredoc
Intel Northwood P-4/2.4 in MSI 845E, 256MB DDR/533 FSB, 80 GB Maxtor @ 7200 rpm/NTFS, W-2K PE/SP3, 3DForce S-128 (SIS) AGP 4X, Pioneer 'A04 burner (Firmware 1.30), LiteON XJ-HD166S DVD-ROM drive, 3Com NIC card
leisuredoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 17:06   #2  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

In my personal opinion I will buy Generic -R discs only as there seems to be no way to know from week to week who is making a so called "name brand" disc unless you pay a fortune for those few that make their own discs.

On the other hand I am more likely to buy name brand +R discs since most are still made by the same company, although that appears to be changing. So far all +R discs I have purchased no matter what brand have been Richoh's.

I am glad I choose the Sony Burner as I can go with whatever quality media is cheaper at the time I need it.

Mark
Old 6th July 2003, 05:02   #3  |  Link
leisuredoc

generic -R's

@markrb,

Tnx for your wisdom and insite. Since I am stuck with the 'A04 (but happy with it nonetheless), I have over the past 6 months accumulated quite a collection of generic media. Still have half a spindle of OPTODISK and mostly they are quite good, at least from the standpoint of playing without skipping and K's Probe analysis. The Taiyo Yuden's that I bought from rima.com are actually worse than the Ritek G03's from the same vendor yet cost a dollar more each. Surprisingly, the second spindle of ACCU (have a Lead Data lead-in) are better than the Ritek's when evaluated with K's Probe. I doubt that they have the longevity of the Ritek's if deepness of color is any indication. My point was that Best Buy will sell whatever they can lay their hands on, and unfortunately, the only -R's that they had when I went there were Fujifilm. Live and learn, I guess.

The trouble with generics, except maybe Ritek, is that each lot is a different product. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes ugly.

leisuredoc
Intel Northwood P-4/2.4 in MSI 845E, 256MB DDR/533 FSB, 80 GB Maxtor @ 7200 rpm/NTFS, W-2K PE/SP3, 3DForce S-128 (SIS) AGP 4X, Pioneer 'A04 burner (Firmware 1.30), LiteON XJ-HD166S DVD-ROM drive, 3Com NIC card
leisuredoc is offline   Reply With Quote