Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th December 2016, 20:38   #1  |  Link
tcipps

madvr and HDR HELP please

Hi I was wondering if there someone out there who is successfully playing 4k HDR content on pc using madvr or any other player.

My current setup is gtx1070 (nvidia settings ybcr420 12bpc or 422 12bpc or 444 8bpc tried all, not sure which is correct.)

Got Samsung KS8000 with UHD turned on
HDMI2.0a cable run directly from pc to tv for testing purpose.

Been using madvr for a while now, love it. Not completely sure what settings need to be changed for HDR but this is what i've done:

1. Turned on DX11 under render settings
2. Turned off Dithering
3. Native Display bitdepth 10bit or higher
4.HDR pass-through to display

I'm using Jinc for all scaling algorithms

In mpc option internal filters i was told to uncheck HEVC and X264 tried that with no luck as well.

I been using Revenent, Ninja turtles and deadpool all in 10bit HDR 60mpbs as test, the problem I'm having is the blacks look all fuzzy/grainy just overall bad picture

I'm not sure what else I can do, for the love god any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tcipps; 16th December 2016 at 20:43.
tcipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 20:43   #2  |  Link
huhn

go to this "HDR passthrought to display" page again and read it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 20:50   #3  |  Link
tcipps

ok from what i understand, basically says it won't tell your TV that its and HDR signal so in return the TV won't tell you "HDR content is being played so you need to turn on UHD or HDR on in your tv settings and this may change in future updates.

Which i have done

Am i missing something ?
Old 17th December 2016, 03:18   #4  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcipps View Post
ok from what i understand, basically says it won't tell your TV that its and HDR signal so in return the TV won't tell you "HDR content is being played so you need to turn on UHD or HDR on in your tv settings and this may change in future updates.

Which i have done

Am i missing something ?
Did you enable Fullscreen Exclusive Mode in madVR?

And 12bit 4:2:2 is probably the best setting you could use for this.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 03:45   #5  |  Link
tcipps

enable automatic exclusive mode checked.

any other suggestions?
Old 17th December 2016, 19:00   #6  |  Link
tcipps

Wondering if PC's display it properly at all, most people i talk to are playing these files directly into the tv or using nvidia shield .
Old 18th December 2016, 01:32   #7  |  Link
huhn

well of cause it doesn't work "correctly" the TV doesn't get the needed meta data.
Old 18th December 2016, 04:05   #8  |  Link
tcipps

so huhn you're saying that my tv not getting proper HDR data, so madvr doesn't do HDR despite the HDR options ?

or what can I do to make sure my tv is getting the data ?
Old 18th December 2016, 05:52   #9  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcipps View Post
so huhn you're saying that my tv not getting proper HDR data, so madvr doesn't do HDR despite the HDR options ?

or what can I do to make sure my tv is getting the data ?
Currently there isn't a universal API for Windows to allow transmitting the HDR metadata to the TV so madVR does not make any attempt to send the metadata, but it can send the video data. This is why it cannot tell your TV the video is HDR or how to handle it.

As it is now you would need to manually configure your TV, if possible, to match the HDR metadata. This will probably change in the future as APIs are released.
Old 18th December 2016, 20:09   #10  |  Link
tcipps

asmodian thanks for the input man, i've had this TV for a few months now and I have yet to see HDR or 10bit on it.

I picked up a HD fury that can force HDR signal, i'll give that a try see if it does anything.
Old 5th January 2017, 14:47   #11  |  Link
mytbyte

MadVR HDR->SDR conversion on high-brightness SDR TV

Thought I coud usurp this thread for my question

I have an SDR UHD TV (Panasonic 40CX700) that has a measured peak brightness of 675 nits and stretches towards DCI-P3 teritory...

If I define display's peak nits of 675 in MadVR HDR section, can I expect something close to what an HDR-processing TV would do with HDR signal?...i.e would MadVR try to simulate PQ based on my display's peak brightness by converting PQ to, say 2,2 gamma perceptually so that the result would be an approximation of HDR as it would look on a true HDR TV? I know I'd be probably losing bits, get posterization maybe, but that's what I have...

The TV does not cover P3 but is getting close and primaries lie in the correct direction with native D65 white point...I can supply a 3D LUT that I should load in the calibration section, I suppose?...

Thanks...

Last edited by mytbyte; 5th January 2017 at 16:32.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 18:33   #12  |  Link
huhn

interestingly the 55 can only do 550 CM² but what ever.

if you have a colorimeter set CR and brightness to max (there is no clipping on my unit so this is "fine") go to advanced settings and set colorgamut to "native" now you can run argyllCMS and you can create a HDR 3D LUT.

BTW. i hate my/this TV :-)

edit: disable local dimming for the creation of the 3D LUT and think about the broken pure direct mode

Last edited by huhn; 5th January 2017 at 18:39.
Old 5th January 2017, 20:15   #13  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
interestingly the 55 can only do 550 CM² but what ever.

if you have a colorimeter set CR and brightness to max (there is no clipping on my unit so this is "fine") go to advanced settings and set colorgamut to "native" now you can run argyllCMS and you can create a HDR 3D LUT.

BTW. i hate my/this TV :-)

edit: disable local dimming for the creation of the 3D LUT and think about the broken pure direct mode
I measured with 5% pattern, I think...:-) it is probably normal for a smaller screen to be brighter...55", is it direct backlit?

why do you hate it? what's broken about pure direct?
Old 5th January 2017, 21:34   #14  |  Link
huhn

they are direct lit.
pure direct mode is not pure at all and has nothing to do with direct.
the TV is doing frame interpolation all the time except in game mode or "pure direct mode". pure direct mode can't do 23/24p it is doing it with a 3:2 judder and that is a 120 Hz panel.
Old 5th January 2017, 22:29   #15  |  Link
Asmodian

3:2 judder with 24p input on a 120Hz panel?

4,6,4,6,4,6,4 instead of 5,5,5,5,5,5,5?

Why would anyone do that? One chip that takes all input to 60 Hz with a separate one that doubles to 120?

Last edited by Asmodian; 5th January 2017 at 23:48.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 23:00   #16  |  Link
huhn

the answer of the panasonic technical support are next level.

Quote:
vielen Dank für Ihre Rückmeldung.

Bezug nehmend au fIhre Anfrage teilen wir Ihnen mit, dass der 4K pure direkt modus nur von einem 4K-BluRay-Player (Beispiel: DMP-UB900) mit einer Ultra HD BluRay wiedegegeben werden kann.

Dadurch das Sie als Quelle Ihren PC benutzen und keine Ultra HD BluRay abspielen wird der 4K pure direkt modus nicht angewendet.
you have to google translate yourself.

don't worry i'm used to stuff like that.

i talking with the AMD "tier 2" support about HDMI handshake issues with my RX 480.

Quote:
Danke, dass Sie den AMD-Kundendienst kontaktiert haben.

Wir haben uns das Problem genauer angesehen und ein paar Informationen für Sie.
Die meisten Monitore unterstützen 4:4:4 Full Range RGB nicht per HDMI zu HDMI, daher kann es sein, dass da einige Probleme auftauchen.
Desweiteren möchte ich Ihnen empfehlen Ihren Monitorhersteller zu kontaktieren, um nachzusehen, ob am Monitor selbst Einstellungen geändert werden müssen, für
HDMI Übertragung von 4:4:4. Hier das Produktdatenblatt und die Bedienungsanleitung
Soweit wir Ihr Problem verstehen, haben Sie mit den anderen Optionen keinerlei Probleme.
Die praktikable Lösung wäre auf DisplayPort/DVI zu wechseln, da HDMI hier Probleme vorweist, die an der Grafikkarte selbst liegen oder Ihren Monitorhersteller zu kontaktieren.
not the topic here. but have fun.
Old 5th January 2017, 23:53   #17  |  Link
Asmodian

How does it know if it is a computer source or a UHD bluray player source?

Is it actually using the DRM detection (HDCP2.2?) before it will enable pure direct mode or are they just being meaningless?
Old 6th January 2017, 00:05   #18  |  Link
mytbyte

@huhn:

I have an Nvidia GTX, I will try to test the 23.976 and 24Hz output in RGB 4:4:4 mode with pure direct on, see what I get...with pure direct mode off, I also haven't seen any frame interpolation with IFC set to "off"...weird that you do...

but we are drifting away...just another info, pls...do I need to apply the TV's LUT in "calibration" or "hdr" section?

Last edited by mytbyte; 6th January 2017 at 00:15.
Old 6th January 2017, 01:06   #19  |  Link
huhn

the HDR 3D LUT is for HDR not calibration

about frame interpolation.
use a dropdown menu like the refresh rate option in the nvidia control center and move the mouse fast up and down.
and don't forget it is not the same TV just similar. there are CX700 with a 60 Hz panel out there too.

@Asmodian
they said i can't use pure direct mode 4K because a PC can't send it.
it is pure rubbish.
Old 6th January 2017, 06:38   #20  |  Link
CruNcher

@Amsodian
I guess you on the right Track with HDCP 2.2 lot of Handshake problems for all kind of Manufactures with it protection has it's price

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote