Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th June 2008, 08:51   #3801  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimar View Post
It is not in any way important to me, but I am curious why it is impossible? libavcodec itself does offer the functionality, at least for some codecs.
Well, since all non-I-frames in MPEG2 fully depend on neighbouring decoded frames you can't just "decode it to half the size" and expect something watchable to come out of it.

And since you have to decode it at full resolution scaling it down afterwards only increases CPU load - and you can already do that using ffdshow's Resize & Aspect filter, anyway.
Old 19th June 2008, 11:00   #3802  |  Link
Kurosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
Well, since all non-I-frames in MPEG2 fully depend on neighbouring decoded frames you can't just "decode it to half the size" and expect something watchable to come out of it.

And since you have to decode it at full resolution scaling it down afterwards only increases CPU load - and you can already do that using ffdshow's Resize & Aspect filter, anyway.
This is somewhat funny: would you also explain to David Huffman, were he alive, what variable length coding is?

Distortion is indeed a side effect, but it does improve decoding speed. The mplayer man page for instance, and google, have explanations about the lowres decoding option found in lavc.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 14:18   #3803  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
This is somewhat funny: would you also explain to David Huffman, were he alive, what variable length coding is?
Errr... so you're implying that David Huffman is to Variable Length Coding as Reimar is to MPEG2? (Sorry, I really genuinely don't understand that comment of yours...)
Old 19th June 2008, 14:32   #3804  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Errr... so you're implying that David Huffman is to Variable Length Coding as Reimar is to MPEG2? (Sorry, I really genuinely don't understand that comment of yours...)
I think what he actually meant is:
You don't need to explain how MPEG-2 decoding works to Reimar, because as an MPlayer/Codec developer he should be very familiar with it...
Old 19th June 2008, 15:08   #3805  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
I think what he actually meant is:
You don't need to explain how MPEG-2 decoding works to Reimar, because as an MPlayer/Codec developer he should be very familiar with it...
Ehehe... ummm, since he asked that question above I didn't consider that he could be an mplayer dev...

Thanks for clearing that up...
Old 20th June 2008, 03:06   #3806  |  Link
Mr VacBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
For libavcodec's mpeg-2 decoder there already is a "use speedup tricks" option in ffdshow. I don't know what that does precisely.
It (CODEC_FLAG2_FAST) uses a simpler dequantization step which results in more zero DCT coefficients. It's not that much faster, really.

What he asked for is controlled by AVCodecContext.lowres, which certainly works for MPEG2. I think it might already be exposed in the UI too.
Mr VacBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 11:09   #3807  |  Link
nxmehta

Hi all,

There's a bug in ffdshow (reported at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...41&atid=867360 ) that makes some of the software I'm running unusable. I was just wondering if this bug was fixed in any of the nightly builds? If not, is it something that might be fixed in the future?

Thanks.
Old 20th June 2008, 13:29   #3808  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

is it me, or is it only possible to resize horizontally in ffdshow ?!
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 19:44   #3809  |  Link
jmartinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
is it me, or is it only possible to resize horizontally in ffdshow ?!
It's you . Horizontal and vertical resize works fine here. Maybe the problem is in your renderer.
jmartinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 20:32   #3810  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

well you can keep the exact same width and only resize vertically ?

now how do you do that ?

I've got a profile to resize to 1024x768, yet sometimes it resizes to 1152x768 with SD content.....I want freaking 1024*xxx
Old 20th June 2008, 21:20   #3811  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

It works here as well. Use "Specify horizontal and vertical size" > only change the vertical size > make sure Aspect ratio is set to "no aspect ratio correction".

I'm assuming you're using YV12 and YUY2 with VMR/EVR? With those color spaces VMR/EVR will sometimes use odd internal resolutions (which seems to be a built-in restriction) yet it will still display at your desired resolution.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 20th June 2008 at 21:23.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 21:21   #3812  |  Link
clsid

Maybe those are anamorphic encodes? Check your PAR settings. Because it should work.
Old 20th June 2008, 22:25   #3813  |  Link
JarrettH

think we'll have a new beta soon?
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 22:37   #3814  |  Link
clsid

At the end of the month if no regressions are reported.
Old 20th June 2008, 23:51   #3815  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
At the end of the month if no regressions are reported.
Apparently the "Cubic Blending" deinterlacer doesn't deinterlace at all or it fails horrible to remove combing artifacts (which I think isn't possible with that method)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 21st June 2008 at 00:09.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 05:19   #3816  |  Link
Yong

Guys, is it possible to make "custom" OSD display as list?
if the video resolution is small, OSD will got truncated if display all in one line like this

i hope this feature request isn't too hard for devs

Last edited by Yong; 21st June 2008 at 05:21. Reason: typ0
Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 08:41   #3817  |  Link
mike7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong View Post
Guys, is it possible to make "custom" OSD display as list?
use \n for new line, ex.: %idimar\nRemaining time: %rtime
mike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 09:26   #3818  |  Link
Reimar

Quote:
Ehehe... ummm, since he asked that question above I didn't consider that he could be an mplayer dev...

Thanks for clearing that up...
Well, you started from the assumption that decoding at half resolution is not possible in a useful way. But the reality is, that even quarter resolution decoding is possible with (IMO) acceptable quality losses simply by setting a libavcodec flag. Half resolution in my tests reduces decoding CPU usage by 60%, quarter resolution by another 20% (compared to half res) for high bitrate HD material.
So my question was about the part I did not know: why it would not be possible to export this functionality via ffdshow (seems I was mistaken to assume you knew about this libavcodec feature).
Reimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 10:42   #3819  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Apparently the "Cubic Blending" deinterlacer doesn't deinterlace at all or it fails horrible to remove combing artifacts (which I think isn't possible with that method)
yeah the deinterlacing section of ffdshow is very poor.

the "cubic blending" doesn't do anything whatsoever, and the "linear blending" is very blurry.

the best deinterlace I've found so far is the PS "blending" script in MPC...but it only works w/ EVR or VMR9

Seb.26 told me that it's using a very simple script, but because noone is willing to add new features to ffdshow......it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

ffdshow is so great, but it's got a few annoying bugs that noone will ever fix I guess

for instance....when using Avisynth scripts, very often Reclock says "no video stream found", I stop/press play again, and it's fine...

Last edited by leeperry; 21st June 2008 at 10:52.
Old 21st June 2008, 11:02   #3820  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
but because noone is willing to add new features to ffdshow......it's not gonna happen anytime soon.
Comments like this ain't gonna help in upping the motivation of people. Mumbles something about free, open-source, spare time. Currently we only have the manpower to maintain ffdshow. For actual development we simply need a truckload of programmers with no personal life.

I assume that those deinterlacing problems exist for a long time already, and they are no recent regressions. So they won't hold back a beta. But anyway, I am no C++ programmer, and I don't really care about deinterlacing functionality.

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl