Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 22nd July 2005, 20:23   #1  |  Link
leecole
RC

File In, want to burn subtitles, AviSynth Open Failure on .srt

I am a novice, so I am asking for help with what I am doing wrong. I start AutoGK 1.96, I select radio button File Input, I select OPEN and browse to the MPEG2 file and select it. I then Open output and select the directory where I wish the AVI file to be created. Then I do Ctrl-F8 to enable the subtitles Open Dialog. I browse to the .srt file for the MPEG2. I select the .srt file, click ADD Job, Click Start. Always fails with a message that Avisynth Open Failure, TextSub Can't open the .srt file. What am I doing wrong, or perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of the 'external subtitles'? I expected the subtitles from the .srt file would be burned into the .avi output.
Thanks, Lee Cole
leecole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 10:29   #2  |  Link
manono

Hello and welcome to the forum-

The Externals subtitles check box is for when you want VobSubs created and kept separate (not burned in). Your situation is kind of the opposite. You already have external subs, and you want them burned in. Uncheck the External subtitles check box. Run the Preview to make sure the subs are there, and with any luck they should show up in the encoded AVI.

There's always the chance it won't work, though. I didn't think that File Input supported any subs at all. I could be wrong. len0x will know.

Last edited by manono; 23rd July 2005 at 10:32.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2005, 18:27   #3  |  Link
leecole
RC

Thanks, but I disagree

I am NOT talking about the ADVANVED OPTIONS external Subtitles checkbox. I am talking about the Main screen Open Dialog that opens up if you check FILE INPUT, Open input Dialog and browse to a valid MPEG2 recording, then click OPEN. At that time, if you enter CTRL-F8, a new Open Dialog appears on the Main Screen, called External SubTitles. It is this dialog that I am speaking about. If you open it and browse, it only shows
files of filetype *.srt, so it is oviouslly expecting input of an existing .srt file. My reading of the documentation and the forums led me to believe, perhaps erronouslly, that this would burn the subtitles into the output .AVI . It is quite possible, no, quite probable, that I must do more, or that I am missing something in the setup of the product. I am hoping that someone can enlighten me. I have read many, many entries in these forums about Avisynth Open failures, and subtitle problems, but it seemed that most of these had to do with DVD input. None have offered a solution that I was able to understand. I thank you for trying to help.
Old 24th July 2005, 19:35   #4  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

The fact that textsub is trying to open the srt shows that the option will more than likely embed the subtitles, should it succeed .. the only thing I can think about is it isn't a valid srt ... how did you make it? can you paste the first few lines of it please?
Have you another srt that you can test with?
Old 24th July 2005, 21:10   #5  |  Link
manono

Sorry, leecole-

I completely glossed over the fact that you had used Ctrl-F8 to access the External Subs box. My apologies. Now I think I agree with niamh that perhaps the SRT file is corrupt or non-standard in some way. Didn't I read somewhere that if it opens in Subtitle Workshop, it's OK, and if it doesn't, it's not?
Old 25th July 2005, 00:03   #6  |  Link
leecole
RC

Thanks, Manono

I didn't know about Subtitles Workshop so I downloaded it. The tool I use to extract the subtitles from a MPEG2 recording, recorded at a DVD quality, creates both a .srt and a .smi file. I use SnapStream to do the recording, and DirectVobSub will playback the subtitles both for MPEG2 and AVI formats in SnapStream playback. It will also playback the subtitles in WMP for AVI. When I got Subtitles Workshop, it would load the .smi file OK but would not load the .srt. So I had SubTitles WorkShop save as .srt, one of the .smi files. When I compared the original .srt with the one created by Subtitles Workshop, it was evident what the problem was. The
one my tool created was like this:
00:00:41,934 -> 00:01:14,667
(piano playing Schumann's
"Traumerei")
while Subtitles was 1
00:00:41,934 --> 00:01:14,667
(piano playing Schumann's
"Traumerei")
That's dash dash greaterthan instead of dash greaterthan!
I corrected several files (using notebook replace) and brought up AutoGK and ran a test. Sure enough, the subtitles are burned into the AVI. Thanks guys, you pointed me in the right direction.
Old 25th July 2005, 10:50   #7  |  Link
manono

Good, I'm glad you got it sorted out, and I hope I've redeemed myself for wasting your time earlier. However, much of the credit goes to niamh, as her post got me thinking about it in a new way. She's one of our resident subtitle experts, and had you posted a few lines of the SRT file before I sent you to Subtitle Workshop, I'm sure she would have figured it out.
Old 25th July 2005, 15:19   #8  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

I'm a simple subtitle user

leecole, you may want to email the authors of that software you're using, pointing out the bug in it
Old 25th July 2005, 22:41   #9  |  Link
leecole
RC

Alreadt have

I did that first thing. Fortunatly, Subtitle Workshop makes it a breeze to use batch mode to load all the .smi (they work) and have Workshop save them all as .srt (subrip). However Workshops batch mode could do with a Yes To All option. I had to answer yes to each file's save since a broken version already existed for each.