Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 27th August 2002, 20:40   #1  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

WMP9 - article

thanx to sartoph (who just registered, but is still in the 5 days waiting period) for sending this link about wmp9, it's embadded DRM schemes and more:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...052995857.html

here's a quote from it:
Quote:
Microsoft's Media Player v9.0 adds an extra level of protection, calling an outside licensing server run by a copyright clearing house, which then issues an encrypted licence key before playback begins. The key does not travel with the media stream and has to be issued for each session. This approach has the wholehearted support of the media cartels.
thanx sartoph
avih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2002, 20:46   #2  |  Link
Koepi

It's time to concentrate to make "the linux desktop" so easy as possible so it can be used as windows (former versions).

KDE is on the right way, but there's still some "easy" stuff missing, GUIs like virtualdub or SmartRipper that make everything easier to access. Maybe the unified linux initiative can help there.

I for one won't let my rights get cut off by some monopolistic businesses that dictate in nearly every state on this planet to the politic how things have to be done...

Just my 2cents.

Regards,
Koepi

P.S.: no need to flame here, I have "real" linsuxx, too - and *BSD, AIX,.. seen it all. This is just meant for the average user's usability.
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2002, 06:46   #3  |  Link
BlackSun
CoreCodec

Quote:
Originally posted by Koepi
It's time to concentrate to make "the linux desktop" so easy as possible so it can be used as windows (former versions).

KDE is on the right way, but there's still some "easy" stuff missing, GUIs like virtualdub or SmartRipper that make everything easier to access. Maybe the unified linux initiative can help there.

I for one won't let my rights get cut off by some monopolistic businesses that dictate in nearly every state on this planet to the politic how things have to be done...

Just my 2cents.

Regards,
Koepi

P.S.: no need to flame here, I have "real" linsuxx, too - and *BSD, AIX,.. seen it all. This is just meant for the average user's usability.

I agree with Koepi, it's getting better and better but there is still something cruelly missing... Btw what is the realtion with WMP9 ?

(I just wake up so I may not be very clear)
Old 28th August 2002, 12:44   #4  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

Next thing you know, we'll all be sleeping in large capsules of amneotic fluid... connected to cables... powering their factories, having our entire lives simulated in a digital environment...

because we all know, its all about control.
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2002, 12:48   #5  |  Link
Koepi

Blacksun:

It's about getting away from the control which is brought to the masses by M$ (see the initial quote), see their attempts to lock up all media stuff,...
Hard to do that in opensource OSes.

Regards,
koepi
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2002, 13:26   #6  |  Link
Latexxx

I'll move to moon!

[Kicking my pirated w$ xp copy....]
Latexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2002, 11:47   #7  |  Link
ProfDrMorph
fresh brains!

Moon's too near to earth. It has to be at least Mars. If you want to go there I'm coming with you.
ProfDrMorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2002, 12:06   #8  |  Link
redcane

Quote:
Originally posted by Koepi

YO!
I'm trying to gather some interest in writing a GUI for the linux video tool "transcode" which does most everything..... I've been messing with some stuff, but I don't have any experience (aside from this) at writing linux GUIs, but I'm a full time linux user, and I love my linux desktop. Of course some stuff is still tricky.

The only way this stuff happens if people get in and code stuff!!! I'm amazed at all the open-source and free software that gets coded up for windows these days, things like virtualdub, they'd be great to see on linux!
redcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2002, 17:08   #9  |  Link
Latexxx

I've been writing some guis for windows programs with delphi, but I have no idea about writing anything linux. Maybe you may want to write something with tcl/tk. I've heard that it is pretty easy language to write guis.
Old 30th August 2002, 19:49   #10  |  Link
TheWEF
Gordian Mod.

Quote:
Originally posted by Latexxx
I've been writing some guis for windows programs with delphi, but I have no idea about writing anything linux.
borland kylix!
TheWEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2002, 06:58   #11  |  Link
Latexxx

That might work... ;-)
Old 31st August 2002, 17:35   #12  |  Link
Tom Servo

Not to spoil your fun, but 1) you're not forced to create secured content if you do it yourself (all my WM stuff is unprotected), and 2) you should understand that online shops that sell music online don't want to see piracy, and 3) they're talking about a 3rd party license server.
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2002, 19:45   #13  |  Link
Ookami
Xe-Rotaredom

Quote:
Originally posted by int 21h
Next thing you know, we'll all be sleeping in large capsules of amneotic fluid... connected to cables... powering their factories, having our entire lives simulated in a digital environment...

because we all know, its all about control.

Do you think that the editor of the "simulated lifes" would be hard to use ("he's the one")?

BTW, I doubt that anyone here, will download the WMP9 and install it , and isn't it so that after the version 6.4 it only became badder?

Cheers,

Mijo.