Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Closed Thread

Old 17th September 2006, 23:05   #221  |  Link
Bend But Don't Break

Unable to Truncate?

2. Panda's problem involves extra data appended at the end of some WMA files. Truncating these files to the length in the File Properties Object should fix the problem. If anyone can find what this data is used for, if anything, it'd help. Thanks for the find, Panda.

Is there a fix for this? How do I go about truncating the files to the length listed? 98 of the files I've rightfully paid for, and would like to play on my non-DRM portable mp3 player, give me this error...
Old 18th September 2006, 01:43   #222  |  Link
josh2

I'm having trouble for some reason..

I went to de-drm a file, and it worked fine, but instead of giving me the full song like it should, it just gives a few short blips and then stops. The file is the same size, and shows up as the right length with all the tags.. the audio just isn't there.

Any idea what's causing this?

Happens with 1.2 and 1.2 fix. The source WMA files play fine.

edit: Never mind.. I got it to work. Deleted blackbox-keys.txt and tried again with 1.2 fix and everything works great.

Last edited by josh2; 18th September 2006 at 02:14.
Old 18th September 2006, 22:53   #223  |  Link
buggs1a

Email does not work because people don't check their email daily or even weekly. Problems can happen that prevent people from getting email as well. So email is NOT a legit way of contacting anyone. Email should be completely dismissed. If someone receives a written letter that is offical then that is more legit. A phone call is also not legit enough.
Old 18th September 2006, 23:52   #224  |  Link
aquina

I don't quite understand all the details on digital rights managment.

Once the DRM is stripped off a file will any future update of DRM software in windows media player be able to reject this file from playing or are the files safe forever?

Thanks for any input.
Old 19th September 2006, 00:20   #225  |  Link
josh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquina View Post
I don't quite understand all the details on digital rights managment.

Once the DRM is stripped off a file will any future update of DRM software in windows media player be able to reject this file from playing or are the files safe forever?

Thanks for any input.
I don't think there is any way that WMP could detect files that have been DRM-stripped, and even if they could, I doubt MS would be so low as to prevent them from being played.

Josh
Old 19th September 2006, 07:30   #226  |  Link
sillKotscha
what's this for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh2 View Post
I don't think there is any way that WMP could detect files that have been DRM-stripped
even if undrm'ed... the file still have a specific header :-)

napster for example... load your (un-) drm'ed file into winamp and view file info - scroll to the end and oups what will you see :-P

that doesn't mean that a player could detect that drm was stripped but...
Old 20th September 2006, 18:54   #227  |  Link
WalterK

And who cares. its all about fair use and being able to have a personal copy.
A copy to play on any mp3 player or PC.
Without drm to complicate thngs.
Old 20th September 2006, 19:48   #228  |  Link
driftr

Okay I've gone through all the posts and still can't fix the "Unhandled situation -9000 while Creating Windows Media instance" error.

I've tried on two machines with FUWM 1.2 and 1.2 fix. Indivbox.key is 11.0.5497.6285

The starting issue I suppose is I can't get either to even work with a demo file off ezdrm.com. With 1.2 fix I can get the wmv to play but then I get the error, and with 1.2 it won't even play unless I have the wmv playing prior to opening with FU.

I've tried renaming the drm folder and I've deleted the blackbox-keys.txt before running FU. Any thoughts?

*edit* Make that FUWM 1.1 and 1.2 fix that i'm using

Last edited by driftr; 20th September 2006 at 20:00.
Old 22nd September 2006, 09:07   #229  |  Link
drunknmunkie

i just reinstalled windows xp...i'm using fairuse 1.2 fixed
my indiv01.key is 11.0.497.6285..
my issue is hen i try to recover my keys it starts up media player 11 and media player hangs it's say opening meida , but neverplayes anything...any clues?
Old 22nd September 2006, 09:27   #230  |  Link
caldis

Does fairuse3wm remove any identification means?

Hi
Lets say I downloaded a DRM'ed file. I use fu4wm and clean up the mess.
As is am legally entitled to by the company who sold/borrowed me the media file I am allowed to play this file on 3 different computers. Borrowed because most companies reserve the right to revoke the possession of the file in case of whatever.
So I give this file to a friend who wants to see/listen to it, too.
This friend (against my will) then posts this file to some p2p-network or usenet or alike.
Are all means of identification of the legal file-owner removed from the file so that I as the original buyer can not be identified and sued for copyright infringement that i actually did not commit?
Thanks
Old 22nd September 2006, 12:55   #231  |  Link
driftr

Caldis, all header/traceable info aside, you gave the file to a friend so doesn't the copyright infringement technically start there?
Old 22nd September 2006, 13:04   #232  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Let's not get into what does and doesn't infringe copyright, as this area is about the laws of various lands, which we are probably not all that qualified to debate.

It's up to the individual to ensure they do not breach the copyright rules in their country.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
Old 22nd September 2006, 14:13   #233  |  Link
caldis

Well this actually has got nothing to do with the copyright laws of a certain country (or at least this is not of concern in my question) since here only the license regulations of the company selling the file matter.

Quote:
3. Can I copy this downloaded game to another machine and play it?

Yes, the license given to you for a digital download allows for the viewing and transfer of the download to three machines. [...]
Thus i deem my indicated actions to be legal.

EDIT:
Sorry for continueing this side thread. I just wanted to justify the legality of my proposed actions.

Last edited by caldis; 22nd September 2006 at 14:16.
Old 22nd September 2006, 14:28   #234  |  Link
Bend But Don't Break

Can't wait for FairUse4WM 1.3

More than 100 of my DRMed files were done so under WMP 9 software, apparently, so 1.2 and previous renditions don't work.
Old 22nd September 2006, 20:47   #235  |  Link
smsmasters

I'm trying to undrm some avi video files that require you to enter a login/password before you play it and then it acquires the license, I can't get it to undrm.

I have:

DrmClien.DLL 10.0.0.3802
Invidbox.key 11.0.5497.6285
Windows Media Player 10.00.00.4036

I get the error "No license available for specified file". However, it plays fine, I just can't undrm it.

Any help please?
Old 23rd September 2006, 03:16   #236  |  Link
aquina

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldis View Post
Are all means of identification of the legal file-owner removed from the file so that I as the original buyer can not be identified and sued for copyright infringement that i actually did not commit?
Thanks
I am not positive but from what I read on a different thread there still seems to be residual personal information left.
So be careful if you loan someone your cleaned files.
Old 23rd September 2006, 10:52   #237  |  Link
Yusaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquina View Post
I am not positive but from what I read on a different thread there still seems to be residual personal information left.
So be careful if you loan someone your cleaned files.
Not sure about that. From what I gather about the structure of WMA DRM, after all your custom licences etc. it comes down to 56-bit key which is used to decrypt actual packets. This is also the SID you enter to drm2wmv keyfiles. (not exactly technically correct, but enough for explanation). This key is only one for all copies of (single) media file the provider publishes. The reason is so that the downloads of actual media files do not need to be done using a safe (=computationally expensive) channel.

So if you strip DRM out of a file, it is easy to tell it comes from provider ABC (e.g. Napster or Real), but it is not possible to link it to leak source directly. But if you were e.g. the only one to ever download a song XYZ from ABC and it is found on p2p, it is quite easy to identify you .
Old 23rd September 2006, 12:34   #238  |  Link
usual_suspect

I'm having the same problem as driftr. If I try and recover the key with 1.1, then the file will play all the way through in wmp however it does not recover the key, and if I then close wmp I get the -9000 error. If I try the same with the 1.2 fix, the file will not even open.

wmp: 11.0.5705.5043
indivbox: 11.0.5497.6285

Any ideas?
Cheers
Old 23rd September 2006, 16:25   #239  |  Link
AudioFreeq

There's a missing link here. How do I convert the cleaned wma files to mp3, to have real portability?
(WITHOUT quality degradation any worse than having encoded in Mp3 192kb in the first place)

Thanks for links to any (cheap) tools.

And does 1.2 still work? Where can I get 2.0?
Old 23rd September 2006, 17:22   #240  |  Link
Digga
User, Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFreeq View Post
How do I convert the cleaned wma files to mp3, to have real portability?
(WITHOUT quality degradation any worse than having encoded in Mp3 192kb in the first place)
there will be quality degradation if you gonna convert (= transcode) to another lossy format like MP3 no matter what you do. if you will notice this quality drop is another thing and depends on the encoder used (try LAME 3.97 beta), your ears and of course the quality of the WMA input.

Quote:
Thanks for links to any (cheap) tools.
there are hundreds of apps that are capable to transcode audio files.
foobar2000 is one of them (free).

Quote:
And does 1.2 still work? Where can I get 2.0?
1.2 (fix) is the latest version posted here.