Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 8th August 2009, 11:57   #1  |  Link
Gew
Observer

ffmpeg preset's default directory? (Win)

Hiya!

What's the deal here? I snatched this recent ffmpeg build, threw ffmpeg.exe in my C:\WINNT dir, simple-style, easy access from anywhere, and still avoiding the need for another line in $PATH.

So..

Everything's fine, but where does it look for ffpresets? It says that it will look under $HOME/.ffmpeg by pre-compiled default, under *NIX that would be like /usr/gew/.ffmpeg I suppose, but now I'm in XP.

"mkdir C:\Documents and Settings\Gew\.ffmpeg" ..???
And copy the .ffpreset files there? Tried it, but ffmpeg won't sense the presets.

Actually. I made a .ffmpeg folder with all .ffpresets (even a subdir called ffpresets, with an extra stack of the .ffpreset files, just in case), and copied it to all sorts of places. my Docs & Settings\accountname folder, the Program files\Shared files folder, the WINDOWS folder (since ffmpeg.exe is there), all varies of Local settings\Application data folders..

NOTHING works.

File for preset 'libx264-fastfirstpass' not found

..and datt wus all she wrote!

AAaawrgh! ;'( Is this an issue without solution, since I'm under an environment that (I suppose) ffmpeg wasn't ment for to begin with. Something cygwin-like? It won't find a proper $HOME-like var under Windoze?

"... -vpre "c:\folder-of-my-choice\libx264-fastfirstpass.ffpreset" ..."

Seems to work. Is this the ONLY way under Win? No possibility to have ffmpeg fetch it just by entering i.e. "-vpre fastfirstpass"..?

Thankfor for all answers!

Regards~
Gew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 14:11   #2  |  Link
J_Darnley

You either have to set %HOME% and then place the presets in %HOME%\.ffmpeg, get a build that was compiled with a different path set for FFMPEG_DATADIR or a build in which that was replaced by some Windows path so that it isn't (for me) /Mingw/usr/share/ffmpeg

Otherwise, give the full path to the preset file.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 18:27   #3  |  Link
Gew
Observer

Setting the %HOME% variable was a great way of solving this.

Thanks!
Gew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 16:44   #4  |  Link
von_Runkel

If you don't want to clutter your environment variable space, you can keep the presets in a folder named:

<drive letter>:\usr\local\share\ffmpeg

This is mimicking the default Linux paths for a build and then install. Found out this by examining what paths ffmpeg is searching for with a nice tool from Sysinternals called Process Monitor,

http://download.sysinternals.com/Fil...essMonitor.zip

Highly recommended
von_Runkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 10:41   #5  |  Link
chaynik

Thank you, von_Runkel, your method of mimicking the Linux path worked perfectly!

As far as setting the %HOME% variable, I'm still confused. %HOME%\.ffmpeg implies a directory with a leading period, but afaik that's a no-no in Windows?
chaynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 16:34   #6  |  Link
von_Runkel

This is done from the command line:

Code:
md c:\my_presets
md c:\my_presets\.ffmpeg
copy <existing presets directory> c:\my_presets\.ffmpeg
setx HOME c:\my_presets
Use
Code:
setx HOME c:\my_presets /m
to make it system wide, not only for the currently logged on user. Close the command prompt, open a new one and try to encode with a preset.

I also found that this environment variable method eliminates the need for a "\usr..." directory on each drive I want to run my scripts from.

Last edited by von_Runkel; 26th January 2010 at 22:47. Reason: Clarification
von_Runkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 02:36   #7  |  Link
patronanejo

ffmpeg preset directory

This is a common problem for Windows users of FFMPEG and this thread contains the best answers any Google bot has thus far encountered--the above advice is clear, current, and complete.

A comparatively frivolous suggestion: My_Presets quickly becomes a non-sequitur if your system hosts other applications that were ported over from Linux--in addition to the H.264 presets you copied into .ffmpeg, your simulated $HOME folder it is likely to be populated by a number of unrelated files. A name change won't make the folder invisible to other processes, but it can preclude the anxiety of having seemingly redirected an entire constellation of environment variables--it is a trivial matter to give the folder a more generally-applicable description like Linux_HOME:
Code:
md %AllUsersProfile%\Linux_HOME
md %AllUsersProfile%\Linux_HOME\.ffmpeg
copy "C:\Program Files (x86)\FFmpeg\presets" %AllUsersProfile%\Linux_HOME\.ffmpeg
setx HOME %AllUsersProfile%\Linux_HOME\ /m

Last edited by patronanejo; 13th February 2012 at 05:46. Reason: Layout
patronanejo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffmpeg