Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st January 2020, 16:31   #981  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Toggling HDR
Old 21st January 2020, 17:18   #982  |  Link
mclingo

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvFafeelEBij8B8...ANvQg?e=aswgvS - here is a copy of the file I use, there are lots of ways to do this, look back a few pages.

I use autohotkey to map this exe to a key on my remote so I can START HDR at any time while KODI DS is open, I can then just run it again to turn it off If I want to watch an SDR movie.
Old 21st January 2020, 17:31   #983  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Ah, autohotkey - got it, many thanks.
Old 22nd January 2020, 04:13   #984  |  Link
takenori

is it normal when playing video with laptop with igpu and nvidia, for both to works?
because i cant seem to get the nvidia gpu to handle madvr, its always fall to igpu while nvidia only handle mpc (with lavfilter directx 11 selected)
both running about 40-50% at taskmanager.
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:40   #985  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Ah, autohotkey - got it, many thanks.
Have you tried 113 tone mapping yet, its vastly improved my HDR PQ, contrast recovery works incredibly well for me - i'm using HILL STONG, HHDR has always looked a bit meh on my TV but no it looks great, its not super bright as I only have 400 nits to play with but contrast recovery really improves the dynamics making everything pop.
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:37   #986  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

No not yet, but will take a look
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:11   #987  |  Link
mclingo

subjective obviously but I definately see a really nice boost in dynamics, i'll also using highlight recovery high, you can really see this working in Harry Potter goblet of fire where his mum and dad appear from valdamorts wand during the fight at the end, without this all I see is white blobs with very little facial detail, different here is striking - but my TV's own tone mapping might just be pants in general being GEN 1.0 4k HDR OLED
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:21   #988  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Thanks for the insight, but, on my set up, the Win HDR toggle still wins hands down.

Could be that my set has a nits of 1000, but who knows lol.
Old 23rd January 2020, 01:41   #989  |  Link
mclingo

still no HDR fix in 20.1.3, however HDR being too light or two dark in games is a knwn issue now so they may spot this issue when fixing that, fingers crossed.

Fixed Issues
An intermittent black screen or loss of display may occur when performing parallel actions such as web browsing, gaming or watching video.
A limited number of games such as Nioh™, Dragon Quest Builders 2™, WWE™2K20, Dead or Alive 6™ and Atelier Ryza™ may crash or fail to launch.
Wolfenstein™ 2: The New Colossus is not detected in Radeon Software games manager.
Text overflow in some UI boxes or toast messages may be experienced in some language localizations.
Fan Tuning may change back to the default state when switching between available GPUs.
Copy text options are not available in the display specs table for Radeon Software.
An intermittent black screen or loss of display may occur when the system is left idle at desktop.
Factory Reset install may keep previously configured Radeon Software game profiles. This can cause mismatch between global graphics settings and per profile settings.
Known Issues
Grand Theft Auto™ 5 may experience a system hang or black screen at launch, when opening Radeon Overlay while in game, or after performing a task switch while in game.
Audio may intermittently be missing from Radeon ReLive recordings near the end of recorded clips.
Integer Scaling may cause some video content to show flicker when the display resolution is set to less than native resolution.
Multiple games may have very dark or very bright graphics in game when HDR is enabled in Windows®.
Radeon Anti-Lag enable and disable beep notifications may be played in error when individually pressing keys assigned to the hotkey.
The Radeon Software Overlay hotkey notification may sometimes be displayed during video playback in web browsers or launching some video player applications.
Integer Scaling option is not showing up or available on some Windows®7 system configurations.
Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
Some Vulkan® gaming applications may crash when performing a task switch with Radeon Image Sharpening enabled.
Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:07   #990  |  Link
senzaparole

Hello guys.
Waiting for an update of the drivers of the RX 5700 XT how can I solve the problem of faded colors?
I use MPC + madVR to play HDR movies and I'm not satisfied with the colors. They are slightly washed out colors.
Do I have to wait for an update of the drivers of the RX 5700 XT or can I do something to improve the colors? I read about a file.exe to install, but I didn't understand how to use it.
senzaparole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:51   #991  |  Link
mclingo

Hi, yes this is a known issue and has been discussed in detail. The easiest woraround is to simply turn HDR on before loading your movie player, then just use MADVR as usual.

However you can toggle it on and off while the video app is loaded, just not while the movie is running, I've set a shortcut on my remote to quickly turn it off and on when required. Here is a quick tool to toggle HDR in windows on and OFF to make this easier foe you - credit for this goes to DMU i think.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvFafeelEBij8B8...ANvQg?e=jqJ5BZ
Old 25th January 2020, 18:44   #992  |  Link
senzaparole

thanks for the advice.
So I have to set in madVR's HDR "let madVR decide" so madVR doesn't activate HDR.
Do I only activate Windows HDR?

In the video card: color depth 10bit and RGB 4: 4: 4: Pixel Format PC standard (Full RGB)

In madVR:
"PC levels 0-255"
"the native disply bitdepth is 10 bit"

in LG OLED B9 65: high black level

in LAV filter: RGB PC (0-255)
Old 25th January 2020, 21:17   #993  |  Link
mclingo

this is what i thought, no actually, you setup MADVR as normal with tone mapping and output in HDR format etc and then just turn on windows HDR before you play the movie, when you play the movie HDR turns off, then on, then off and on again which is a little disconcerting but it works !

dont forget to use the latest HDR test build though, you extract it and copy straight into the MADVR folder, no install required.

http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure113.zip

Your other settings are identical to mine, there are different ways of getting the black level but using 444full RGB is the better option.
Old 26th January 2020, 14:36   #994  |  Link
mclingo

just found another issue with my RX5700, hope its just something that got messed up with the many different drivers ive installed recently. My 2160p desktop is locked at 2160p60hz 4:2:0 8 bit, there are littlerally no other options. If I drop to 1080p the options are there again, all the usual ones, however I cant select 10 or 12 bit with any options at all in 1080p or 2160p, something is very broken.

I'll do a driver wipe and see if that fixes, however my previous RX580 had no limitations at all beyond the physical limitation of 2160p 4:4:4 10 bit 30hz
Old 26th January 2020, 15:00   #995  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

All fine here.
Old 26th January 2020, 15:07   #996  |  Link
mclingo

found the issue, this card doesnt like my DP to HDMI converter which is odd as my RX580 had no issues with it, both my recent cards had only one HDMI connect for some utterly stupid reason which forced me to buy this. luckily however I only need one fully working port as my other port is used for a dummy plug for remote access. It is a bug though as like i say it worked fine with my RX580 but at least i'm back to fully working now.
Old 26th January 2020, 17:30   #997  |  Link
senzaparole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
just found another issue with my RX5700, hope its just something that got messed up with the many different drivers ive installed recently. My 2160p desktop is locked at 2160p60hz 4:2:0 8 bit, there are littlerally no other options. If I drop to 1080p the options are there again, all the usual ones, however I cant select 10 or 12 bit with any options at all in 1080p or 2160p, something is very broken.

I'll do a driver wipe and see if that fixes, however my previous RX580 had no limitations at all beyond the physical limitation of 2160p 4:4:4 10 bit 30hz
Hi mclingo, no problem too.
As for the frequency, all the films are at about 24 hz, so the higher resolutions are useless.

I would like to summarize your advice because I am not an expert and English is not my native language.
I have an LG B9 65 "OLED TV, a PC with RX 5700 XT and a Denon X3500H.

1. extract the contents of the "madVRhdrMeasure113" folder and copy and paste it into the madVR installation folder in C: without starting any installation.

2. download the file "HDR_TOGGLE.exe" to the desktop

3. I don't understand how I should set the HDR setting in madVR: let madVR decide, passtrough HDR to display, tone map HDR using pixel shaders. Which one do I select?

4. i impose the video card: 10 bit color depth and 4: 4: 4 RGB: standard pixel format PC (full RGB).
I impose in madVR: "PC Levels 0-255" "native bit depth display" 10 bits.
I impose in LG OLED B9 65: black level: HIGH.
I impose in the video LAV filter: PC RGB (0-255) and D3D11.

5. all other madVR settings are the Asmodian HIGH settings.

6. io uso Mediaportal e MPC-HC. Before playing a video i click on the HDR_TOGGLE.exe to activate the Windows HDR.

7. during HDR video playback it turns off, then on, then off and on again. Everything automatically. And I will see everything perfect.

Is this really so?
Old 26th January 2020, 21:20   #998  |  Link
mclingo

[QUOTE=senzaparole;o?[/QUOTE]

Hi,

1 and 2 are correct

3. your c9 has quite high nits and decent tone mapping so you dont really need to use tone mapping in MADVR, you could maybe have a play with that at some point once you do a bit more reading up on how it works.

For now just choose passthru to display and make sure send meta data is ticked.

4. is correct

5. ok

6. I dont like media portal and dont use it, I cant speak for that but it should work yes. Have you had a look at KODI DS, it loads better IMHO

7. Yes, but thats only a description of what you see happen, you dont actually have to turn it off and on yourself several times.

To play a movie:

A] click the toggle app to turn HDR on
B] load media portal
C] play the movie.

Note, if you map the toggle to a shortcut key using something like AUTOHOTKEY you can turn HDR on and off at will so you dont have to come out of media portal to turn it on, this also means you can turn it on after you start media portal if like me you just load it up sometimes and have a browser without knowing exactly what you are going to watch.

Remember, to watch an SDR movie you have to toggle it off again and this is only for AMD users, not NVIDIA.

Hope this helps
Old 26th January 2020, 23:11   #999  |  Link
senzaparole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
7. Yes, but thats only a description of what you see happen, you dont actually have to turn it off and on yourself several times.
Yes, I understand, point 7., everything works automatically without the need for my intervention

Hi Mclingo you are very useful and thank you very much. I had also thought of selling the RX 5700 XT. But now I'm happy to have found this solution.
As soon as I find some free time I try this solution.

In fact, in the past I had already tried to enable Windows HDR and simultaneously set the madVR "tone map HDR using pixel shaders" (target peak nits: 700 and video output in HDR format enabled). I only tried once but the results seemed excellent with both HDR enabled. In another forum they told me that I absolutely didn't have to enable Windows HDR and madVR HDR at the same time and I gave up testing.

Instead I have to study how to enable a button on the remote control of the Windows Media Center to conveniently activate the HDR_TOGGLE.exe.

As for the playback of videos in SDR, Windows HDR is always disabled! MadVR HDR (video output in HDR format) remains enabled.

I'll update you on the results. Thanks again.
Old 27th January 2020, 06:20   #1000  |  Link
nsnhd

Last night, windows silently updated the nvidia driver on my back and screwed up every thing. I've done ddu and reinstall the 385.28 again, but now madVR could not create custom resolutions 23p, 24p any more. What's a mess.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote