Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 30th December 2017, 00:24   #22361  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Here is a 40 sec sample from a UHD BD with Atmos Track (325MB) where at the 33sec mark the ATMOS track drops out when bitstreaming to an AVR. There is no issue when playing the original Disc using a HW Player (and others have reported that it also plays fine on a PC using PDVD). The issue is constant across several users all with different setups but one commonality is that it just seems to be SW players like JRiver and MPC-HC that has the issue.
The actual layout of the Dolby MAT frame used to encapsulate TrueHD for HDMI transmission is unknown and undocumented, so unless someone finds the specification how to do this, I'm afraid there isn't even a starting point to start looking.
Old 30th December 2017, 00:52   #22362  |  Link
jmone

Thanks - I'm not sure how common the issue will be but it seems to be limited to 2 x Disney discs so far (and both report having a high audio bitrate). The majority of the sound track is fine, but you then hit these points and sound is dropped (the amount of the drop seems to vary by the users setup from a brief drop to my setup where it is 10 sec). We are just guessing it is ffmpeg related given the players that are affected but don't really know. Is it worth opening a Ticket at https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ or would it just be wasting everyone time (and also if so is the sample too large)?
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 23:45   #22363  |  Link
ashlar42

Am I correct in assuming LAVfilters won't upmix stereo audio to 5.1 (or surround in general)?
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 00:10   #22364  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

No affirmative answer from me ... but I believe no. LAV Filters will surely not upmix any stereo with arbitrary parameters, and I believe it has no ProLogic decoder either. Leave that to an attached A/V receiver in your shelf...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 00:15   #22365  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
No affirmative answer from me ... but I believe no. LAV Filters will surely not upmix any stereo with arbitrary parameters, and I believe it has no ProLogic decoder either. Leave that to an attached A/V receiver in your shelf...
Yeah, that's what I do. I was asking for a fellow Kodi DSPlayer user.
Old 4th January 2018, 14:37   #22366  |  Link
foozoor

Is kodi dsplayer still working?
I thought this sh*t was unstable and no longer maintained.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 17:33   #22367  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Well, you'd be completely wrong on both counts thankfully, a lot of hard work has gone into this and dev is still going strong, your comments and not appreciated.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 14:54   #22368  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Hopefully I get some more time over the holidays to finish some things and make a release then.
Hi! Any progress on this? Just an update request, no hurry or anything. All the best for your 2018.
Old 6th January 2018, 14:56   #22369  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Well... I'd say it's arguably the most advanced media center solution available, with the best video and audio quality available. Far from being "sh*t", unstable or no longer mantained.
Old 7th January 2018, 11:17   #22370  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Well... I'd say it's arguably the most advanced media center solution available, with the best video and audio quality available. Far from being "sh*t", unstable or no longer mantained.
Kodi DSPlayer is generally stable and maintained, but the MediaPortal TV-Server plugin is very buggy, which prevents me from moving from MediaPortal for live TV playback.
Old 7th January 2018, 14:00   #22371  |  Link
foozoor

I didn't know aracnoz continued the development.
I thought he was looking for a new owner.
It seems mediaportal works with madvr now.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 14:28   #22372  |  Link
iSeries

Hi, I get occasional audio dropouts when bitrstreaming atmos/truedhd. All other formats work fine. If I switch to decoding, also fine. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the dropouts? (MPC-BE with internal renderer, MadVR, Win10)
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 23:41   #22373  |  Link
ryrynz

Try a different HDMI cable.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 00:17   #22374  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Atmos bitstreaming is not fully understood. If the bitrate exceeds a certain limit, it breaks apart, because its not known how to handle that. This was never a problem with ordinary TrueHD since the bitrate doesn't get high enough. Unfortunately the specifications for that are not available anywhere online (not even to buy), since its not part of the IEC standard that usually controls HDMI bitstreaming. So if anyone knows how Dolby MAT (Metadata-enhanced Audio Transport) works - the format used to wrap TrueHD and Atmos for HDMI transmission, please let me know.
Old 9th January 2018, 13:48   #22375  |  Link
iSeries

Thanks for the explanation Nev. I'll switch to software decoding for problematic tracks.
Old 9th January 2018, 13:53   #22376  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Hi, I get occasional audio dropouts when bitrstreaming atmos/truedhd. All other formats work fine. If I switch to decoding, also fine. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the dropouts? (MPC-BE with internal renderer, MadVR, Win10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Try a different HDMI cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Atmos bitstreaming is not fully understood. If the bitrate exceeds a certain limit, it breaks apart, because its not known how to handle that. This was never a problem with ordinary TrueHD since the bitrate doesn't get high enough. Unfortunately the specifications for that are not available anywhere online (not even to buy), since its not part of the IEC standard that usually controls HDMI bitstreaming. So if anyone knows how Dolby MAT (Metadata-enhanced Audio Transport) works - the format used to wrap TrueHD and Atmos for HDMI transmission, please let me know.
The problem exist for example in movie PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES [2017] [2160P], where Dolby Atmos is 9Mbps, there are lots of dropouts for 1 second long and then sound is playing OK. It occurs, when there are shooting, explosions etc. HDMI cable change do nothing at all, I have tested for the cheapest and the most expensive ones and everytime the same problem with audio. When I convert to LPCM or change to not bitrstreaming via LAV Filters, there is no problem. After changing to bitstreaming, the problem occurs.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK

Last edited by VAMET; 9th January 2018 at 13:55.
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 18:46   #22377  |  Link
iSeries

Nev is it possible to add an extra box in the audio decoding properties, for Atmos/truehd tracks? So I could choose to bitstream truehd tracks but software decode atmos/truehd tracks.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know why software decoding is so much quieter than bitstreaming?

Last edited by iSeries; 9th January 2018 at 19:28.
Old 9th January 2018, 19:09   #22378  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV doesn't currently know if a stream contains Atmos extensions.
Old 9th January 2018, 19:49   #22379  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
EDIT: Also, does anyone know why software decoding is so much quieter than bitstreaming?
because your system and player audio are not at 100 %?
alternatively the mixing.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 19:54   #22380  |  Link
iSeries

Using wasapi exclusive so always 100% when sending lpcm (but regardless all are set to 100% anyway). I noticed this a bunch of years ago when I had a Yamaha avr and it's the same with my Denon now. Sending lpcm to my receiver is notably quieter than bitstreaming.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter