Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th August 2013, 07:12   #19801  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetyl View Post
I see. The issue is this file is VFR, so it switches from 23.976 to 59.94 midway.

I doubt it'd be this simple of a matter, but out of curiosity, would it be possible to add a side option for, or a conditional check in the "only if there would be judder without it" setting?
So basically you have it set to "only if there would be judder..." but due to the file being VFR smooth motion FRC stays on for the 59.94 parts of the file? If so, you could create an issue in the madVR bug tracker, but you'd need to attach a sample to it which allows me to reproduce the issue on my PC. Zip the sample or else the bug tracker won't accept the upload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makakam View Post
I just used calman pattern generator installed on my htpc along with calman v4 on my laptop. Only tv's setting were altered, I didn't create luts and in madVR I have "this display is already calibrated" option enabled and now that gamma ramp option is what makes me wonder.
Well, I don't know if you have any VideoLUTs set in your GPU. Probably not, but I don't know. If you don't remember ever having set those, they're probably still empty/linear. In that case it doesn't matter whether you enable that madVR option or not.

If you want to be 100% safe, you could turn that switch on/off, measure madVR's output both ways, just to make sure there really is no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post
This is the response I got when asking about Calman support for madvr...

We will it's just a matter of priorities at the moment. We are working on getting CalMAN 5.2 ready for IBC and CEDIA. The new features and hardware updates are already slated for CalMAN 5.2
Ok, thanks!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 14:58   #19802  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
That TV I just mentioned also offers BFI, but it really dims the picture.....to the point that whatever I do, gamma gets utterly dark >90 IRE, that's just painful and unacceptable.

So indeed BFI in mVR could be useful but it would require a display with a lot of extra brightness available, and of course clouding/light bleeding would become more visible. This might very well not be worth the hassle as the best way is to turn off the backlight really: Display motion blur
Oops! As it turns out, that TV was a bit out-of-specs as I just bought another one for a relative and it's still plenty bright after BFI has been enabled.....so I'm sending mine back for a refund and once I get ahold of the new graphic card I just ordered, I'll be happy to provide feedback on the FRC+BFI combo @60Hz

Still, BFI is prolly indeed better done in the display as if it wasn't designed for it, it might very well not be bright enough(as this literally cuts down the effective brightness by more or less two).....my first TV could barely reach 90 cd/mイ with BFI enabled

Can't wait to go for full blown J3AR scaling with FRC+BFI@60Hz, you sir really are our savior

PS: now all I'd need a picture viewer that does J3, OTOH I think there are DShow decoders for JPG but mVR wouldn't appear to support portrait so reading comics might be compromised

Last edited by leeperry; 8th August 2013 at 17:09.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 03:13   #19803  |  Link
dansrfe

How do you determine what brightness to set the monitor at prior to profile/3DLUT generation? And is there a way to take ambient lighting conditions into account for different times of the day? Would I have to do calibrate the monitor at different brightness levels in different ambient lighting conditions and manually load the appropriate 3DLUT file in madVR at the time? How does everyone deal with this issue?

I'm not sure if adjusting the brightness by 5-10 cd/m2 on the monitor itself (I only have brightness controls on my monitor) will significantly skew the LUT's accuracy. Or should I just stick to setting the monitor at 120 cd/m2 and let the eyes adjust to the difference in ambient lighting conditions?

Last edited by dansrfe; 9th August 2013 at 08:22.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 04:16   #19804  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Because software decoding is faster (if you have a decent CPU) and more reliable. No stupid limits like max number of reference frames, no hardware decoding bugs, no bluescreens or crashes etc...
Plus, as I think you've said before, software decoding balances the playback load over you machine's resources better. The GPU can focus on the important task of rendering better if it's not having to do decoding duty on top of it.
Old 10th August 2013, 06:15   #19805  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx6 View Post
Plus, as I think you've said before, software decoding balances the playback load over you machine's resources better. The GPU can focus on the important task of rendering better if it's not having to do decoding duty on top of it.
Video decoding is implemented using a dedicated ARM CPU on most GPUs. It doesn't really drain GPU resources.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 06:26   #19806  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
Video decoding is implemented using a dedicated ARM CPU on most GPUs. It doesn't really drain GPU resources.

It does drain memory bandwidth, which can matter on low end GPUs.

PS:
It'usually an ASIC ( fixed function hardware) which does the decoding, not an ARM CPU.
Old 10th August 2013, 19:39   #19807  |  Link
dansrfe

Can anyone recommend a forum or thread for discussing madVR + ArgyllCMS calibration for people who are just starting out? I feel that basic/troubleshooting questions will be ignored in the madVR + ArgyllCMS thread on AVS. Thanks.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 20:41   #19808  |  Link
huhn

i found a resize bug in in madvr

lanczos8ar video codec is ZMBV output is rgb24
http://s3.imgimg.de/uploads/lanczos8ar325f536apng.png

unscaled it looks like this http://s3.imgimg.de/uploads/schweif0024877b96bavisnapshot004877b96b0020134877b96b084877b96b10214877b96b304877b96b394877b96bpng.png

bilinear and dxva look very similar and flicker with my gtx 760

jinc 3-8 without ar/with ar looks bad too
jinc 3 ar:
http://s3.imgimg.de/uploads/jinc3ar6af6b90dpng.png

a lot of details are destroyed

i hope there isn't something wrong with my 760

sample:

Last edited by huhn; 1st January 2014 at 05:42.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 10:08   #19809  |  Link
THX-UltraII

How do I remove that information/status that madVR shows when I start playing a movie? (with this I mean the EXCLUSIVE information bar at the left upper of the screen that is showed for a second or so).
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 10:37   #19810  |  Link
ryrynz

You can't. Not yet.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 11:36   #19811  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
You can't. Not yet.
ok, request it is!
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 12:48   #19812  |  Link
ビeeman
Gordon Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
How do I remove that information/status that madVR shows when I start playing a movie? (with this I mean the EXCLUSIVE information bar at the left upper of the screen that is showed for a second or so).
why do you wanna remove it..??
it's a good sign that madVR is working..
ビeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 13:02   #19813  |  Link
SamKook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ビeeman View Post
why do you wanna remove it..??
it's a good sign that madVR is working..
My eyes are also a good sign that it's working.

I personally don't like anything displayed over my videos. If I have doubts that exclusive mode isn't enabled, I can pause the video and check the OSD.
BTW, it has been requested long ago, but it's a minor aesthetic detail so it's far from a priority.
Old 11th August 2013, 13:28   #19814  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
From what I saw, you could replace those two words with spaces using an hex/resource editor...so you'd end up with a gray rectangle in the top left that has nothing written on it

But maybe madshi checks for CRC/MD5 so I dunno....I found it quite annoying in 720p but in 1080p I just don't pay attention to it anymore. I guess someday it'll be possible to turn it off
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 14:20   #19815  |  Link
xabregas

HI, is there any problem or changes in default configuration of madvr if i use lav video filter with dxva copy back? I mean, i want to use jinc 3 AR for chroma and luma with dxva copy back. I had no problems with no hardware acceleration, but my CPU will become hot and with dxva copy back there is less CPU usage...

DO i need to use "use a separate device for DXVA processing"? Or im fine with default settings?

TIA
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 17:09   #19816  |  Link
Plutotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.86.11 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added import functionality for eeColor 3dlut files
Madshi,
Can you please explain in a simple way, what is the benefit having the possibility to import eeColor 3dlut files in madVR?

Does this mean, that madVR can correct display perfomance using 3dlut correction tables created after calibration using Lightspace CMS software (not cheap) and eeColor processor? No need for a external video processor after video leaves the madVR based HTPC via HDMI then?

edit: found this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484257/ma...cube-lut-files

Thanks

Last edited by Plutotype; 11th August 2013 at 21:35.
Plutotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 18:37   #19817  |  Link
ThurstonX

new HTPC with Intel HD Graphics 4000

As the title suggests, I just built a new HTPC with Intel HD Graphics 4000 on an Ivy Bridge Core i3. I'm running the latest stable MPC-HC, with the three LAV external filters preferred, and madVR. madVR is using mostly default settings. I only changed my display device parameters, and of course tried various scaling options (no Jinc 3 for Image Scaling ...but I knew it wouldn't handle that).

My initial tests yielded some funny results. First, as mentioned in the posts just above, the "Exclusive" banner doesn't clear. It does clear on my other PCs running madVR on Radeon HD 5670 & 6670. But that problem may be related to this...

When I move the cursor to expose the seek bar, the seek bar doesn't clear. Also, the CTRL+J stats do not clear. This is in full-screen exclusive. If I restore back to windowed mode, then go back to FSE, it's all good, until I try to seek again. Also, the time indication on the seek bar doesn't work (kinda stuck, though I've seen it flip back and forth from, e.g., 14:06/14:07/14:06, etc.).

With a 4:3 video, the seek bar clears where the video is, but is still visible (as a sort of afterimage) at the bottom left and right, outside the active video.

Is this an MPC-HC problem, an Intel driver problem? I've not changed much in the Intel control panel, except clear dynamic contrast to fix the 29/59 flicker problem. I've never used Intel HD Graphics for TV and video playback, so I'm a noob in respect to that. LAVs are set to their defaults, including software decoding. madVR's render times are great with Jinc 3+AR for Chroma and Soft Cubic 70+AR or Lanczos 3+AR for Image Scaling (Jinc 3+AR / Lanczos3+AR gives me about 11ms).

Thanks for any feedback. I'll keep poking around.
ThurstonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 19:06   #19818  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
the "Exclusive" banner doesn't clear. It does clear on my other PCs running madVR on Radeon HD 5670 & 6670.
It's driver's bug. For now disable "use separate device for presentation" in rendering->general settings. Or use older drivers.

Also I hope, you've mixed image and chroma algorithms, since using jinc3 for chroma is pointless if it means sacrificing image scaling quality. You'll only spot chroma upscaling differences on very specific images, like red object on light blue background and similar. Try checking it using "nearest neighbor" as kind of reference for low quality, both for chroma and image, you'll spot the difference instantly with image, not so with chroma. That said you should be ok with anything else for chroma (even bilinear). My preference is softcubic100 for chroma, but that's me.

Also MPC-HC nightly builds are worth checking out ( nightly.mpc-hc.org ), they're quite stable and "the" stable release is a little outdated.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 23:27   #19819  |  Link
ThurstonX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
It's driver's bug. For now disable "use separate device for presentation" in rendering->general settings. Or use older drivers.

Also I hope, you've mixed image and chroma algorithms, since using jinc3 for chroma is pointless if it means sacrificing image scaling quality. You'll only spot chroma upscaling differences on very specific images, like red object on light blue background and similar. Try checking it using "nearest neighbor" as kind of reference for low quality, both for chroma and image, you'll spot the difference instantly with image, not so with chroma. That said you should be ok with anything else for chroma (even bilinear). My preference is softcubic100 for chroma, but that's me.

Also MPC-HC nightly builds are worth checking out ( nightly.mpc-hc.org ), they're quite stable and "the" stable release is a little outdated.
Thanks a lot for the info. I didn't mix the scaling, and I know Image is more "important," thus my sad face re: Jinc 3+AR I couldn't tell much difference with the various Chroma algorithms. I just tried Jinc 3+AR to see how it affected the render stats. Definitely increased it. For some older SD content, Lanczos for Image was too much, and Soft Cubic, which I prefer for such things, was better. I prefer something a little sharper for better content.

Anyway, I'll try unchecking "use separate device for presentation" and see how it goes.

Cheers.
ThurstonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 01:20   #19820  |  Link
SyrupBuccaneer

Getting occasional freezing when transitioning from window to full-screen in Potplayer. Log is below.

-Opened file
-Browsed to bookmark
-Double click to fullscreen
-Completely frozen video/player, audio still playing.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z madVR - log.7z (139.4 KB, 70 views)
SyrupBuccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling