Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th May 2013, 19:28   #18801  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
I believe it does. It probably just calls SetDeviceGammaRamp() just like "dispwin -c". What makes you think it doesn't?
Try to run the program ... check out RGB and press reset. Run dispwin -c and check RGB. Do you have ATI GFX, press "Reactivate AMD color control" and check RGB

Last edited by MSL_DK; 12th May 2013 at 19:36.
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 23:44   #18802  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
If I skipped the video back I could not get the sticky artifact to show again, it just occurs somewhat randomly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Does the same artifacts occur again if you replay the same movie scene? That's the first key question you have to find an answer for.
I believe this was a stability issue with my systems RAM, I no longer have this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Do you see a new dropped, repeated or delayed frame in the OSD when this happens? How often does this problem occur? Once every couple of seconds? Minutes? Hours?
Quote:
For me I usually see the black frame at least once every hour or so (once every few episodes) but I did not see it tonight. I will check the OSD when it occurs again.
It's still happening every hour to hour n a half but not always, I watched a three hour movie last night and had it happen twice. The OSD does not show any extra dropped or delayed frames when it occurs.

I'd be interested to know if this happens with AMD graphics also, I'm using a Intel HD 3000 and DragonQ has a Nvidia GT430. I'm currently running my TV at 60Hz.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 00:12   #18803  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallengt View Post
Disable Gamma Ramps in madvr doesn't for me so I use http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=789&Action=support&SoftwareID=546 to reset GPU gamma curve. Does it work the same way as "dispwin -c" ?
check the attachment to this post, dispwin -c and "disable gamma ramps" are meant to disable this calibration CLUT. Nothing more, nothing less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
Anyway I have no choice but to upgrade the CPU+MB+RAM
I meant upgrade the OS, not the hardware.....my Q9450 is still plenty capable.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 10:10   #18804  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
I'd be interested to know if this happens with AMD graphics also, I'm using a Intel HD 3000 and DragonQ has a Nvidia GT430. I'm currently running my TV at 60Hz.
I only use MadVR on my desktop (my HTPC runs MediaPortal, which doesn't support MadVR and probably never will), which has an nVidia GTS 250. 60 Hz also.
Old 13th May 2013, 17:29   #18805  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

BTW madshi, it might be time to add a xvYCC gamut preset(and force 0-255 input) coz the BD's are coming

Last edited by leeperry; 13th May 2013 at 17:32.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 19:39   #18806  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
For me I usually see the black frame at least once every hour or so (once every few episodes) but I did not see it tonight. I will check the OSD when it occurs again.
Actually I think I got the same issue. Sometimes (like a few times per hour or so) a single black frame gets inserted for no apparent reason. Note that I'm using smooth motion. Each time it does this the "dropped frames" counter increases by one. Strangely, it seems that if I disable desktop composition in the madVR options it goes away, though I am not quite sure yet. No other option seem to have any effect. NVidia GeForce GTX 570, drivers 314.22, 60Hz.

Last edited by e-t172; 13th May 2013 at 19:41.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 16:43   #18807  |  Link
tobindac

60 FPS etc.

Hello, amazing job by the way.

I keep reading in this thread about "SVP (SmoothVideo Project) VS madVR" and how they are different on how they handle smoothing of video (which is true) but I haven't heard the obvious:

One can use both! That way one gets both high FPS and the good rendering of madVR.

Of course, a few parameters will be affected: GPU will be more loaded, so scaling algorithms settings might have to be downgraded and the madVR smoothing code might show its weight and might have to be disabled (even though I suspect it might be of less importance on high FPS anyway).

However, I've noticed the following advantages that makes their use in unison being beneficial:

madVR already does a very good job without Jinc 3 - in the case SVP wouldn't allow it, it does in high-end setups - so potentially losing the best scaling isn't going to be a deciding factor in some cases; and I guess Jinc being the best scaling algorithm might be debateable.

Also, using - for instance - 60FPS can make a video so lively that both other advantages - in scaling or smoothing - might be less beneficial or unneeded. I know it's a very debatable subject - as The Hobbit 50FPS has proven - but personally, I see only advantages on high FPS: Motion is very realistic to the point of feeling being there next to the actors (if it's normal filming). People often say they want to be fooled from the film-making but, if you ask me, it's fascinating to "hack" that delusion and see right through the filming and into the action like being right there next to them. I've recently experienced a few videos of shows I was watching on 24-30 FPS converted to 60FPS and I was excited that it was like being right next to the people being filmed for a change.

Concerning technological considerations for the future (and to be more on topic), the DirectShow world is generally a mountain of different packages so I guess there is no much point suggesting a pseudo-high-FPS feature for madVR, but it's an idea that could be out there, potentially right next to the current options of smoothing as a means of perhaps reducing the length of the pipeline needed for rendering a video. I also wonder if madVR's smoothing is a big benefit when SVP is enabled (or when the video is of high FPS in the first place); my suspicion is that it's not as important (which would help lighten the GPU load).

In any case though if you do make such a setup, unless your hardware is quite high-end, be prepared to be tweaking settings for almost any change of video attributes. e.g. it is very likely that 720p H264 will need different parameters on both software packages than 1080p, because in both cases you might bring both CPU and GPU load to their limits. This is for me an advantage on its own, being able to utilize both CPU and GPU to their absolute limits, even if I guess it does inflict some extra fatigue on the hardware, and it might make such setups almost impossible to be "humane" to common users that do not tweak their setup, unless hardware is insanely faster than currently commonly available for most video formats and displays considered.
tobindac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 19:11   #18808  |  Link
Skankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobindac View Post
I know it's a very debatable subject - as The Hobbit 50FPS has proven - but personally, I see only advantages on high FPS: Motion is very realistic to the point of feeling being there next to the actors (if it's normal filming).
There is an huge difference: The Hobbit -> 48 real FPS.
SmoothVideo Project can "upscale" 24FPS to 60FPS, but the result will not look as good as a real 60 FPS-video, because SVP produce always small and big picture errors.
I think a lot of people don't use SVP because it degrade image-quallity too much and not because they think 24FPS is better than 60FPS.

Smooth motion (madVR) also produces picture errors (ghosting), but it reduces judder. So you can decide what bothers you more and enable/disable this option in madVR.
Skankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 19:17   #18809  |  Link
Tyestor

Any ETA on the next update?
Tyestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 19:33   #18810  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyestor View Post
Any ETA on the next update?
Do you miss any thing????
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 20:46   #18811  |  Link
TheElix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
Do you miss any thing????
We weren't really missing anything before madshi released the current version with smooth motion either. Madshi keeps pushing the progress of HTPC playback further even though he's not obliged to do so. The guy's just excited about what madshi has in store for us with his next update. So am I.
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 01:46   #18812  |  Link
Asmodian

Madshi usually says "when it is done" and doesn't give an ETA, though the first release with smooth motion was an exception.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 02:00   #18813  |  Link
tobindac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skankee View Post
There is an huge difference: The Hobbit -> 48 real FPS.
SmoothVideo Project can "upscale" 24FPS to 60FPS, but the result will not look as good as a real 60 FPS-video, because SVP produce always small and big picture errors.
I think a lot of people don't use SVP because it degrade image-quallity too much and not because they think 24FPS is better than 60FPS.

Smooth motion (madVR) also produces picture errors (ghosting), but it reduces judder. So you can decide what bothers you more and enable/disable this option in madVR.
I know what you mean and I was actively looking for it. I was surprised though that it was not as bad as I anticipated. In fact I'm surprised at how well pseudo-60FPS approaches the "home video" effect (in a good way).

I like it in conjunction with madVR's technology because it appears high FPS takes advantage of its superior rendering of single frames and at the same time its smoothing algorithm does not appear to be much needed on high FPS (I'm saying that because it might show its weight on high FPS and it might have to be disabled).
tobindac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 02:02   #18814  |  Link
Undead Sega

Hi everyone, I dont know if this has been mentioned before, however (although silly), can nnedi3 be used as a chroma upsampler?
Undead Sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 02:33   #18815  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead Sega View Post
Hi everyone, I dont know if this has been mentioned before, however (although silly), can nnedi3 be used as a chroma upsampler?
It has been mentioned in this thread, and madshi said that it would very likely too resource-hungry for real-time playback (at least as an upscaling algorithm, which I understand to include specific chroma upsampling as well).
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 09:22   #18816  |  Link
eXtremeDevil

I'm trying to use madVR with BSPlayer with I can't get it to work, it never shows up the video... do I need to do anything special? It works fine with MPC-HC with no extra configuration...

Last edited by eXtremeDevil; 5th June 2013 at 15:03.
eXtremeDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 22:57   #18817  |  Link
FlashGordon

madshi: I have a PAL DVD that exhibits odd behavior regarding primaries selection. If I open the disc and wait until the "Warning" VOB comes up and then skip to the chapter containing the film, the primaries will be detected incorrectly as SMPTE 170M (says upstream). However, if I skip directly to the film before the warning screen pops up, the primaries will be detected properly as EBU (best guess). I can provide a small sample. Let me know if you need it when you have time - shoot me a PM so I don't miss it
FlashGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 14:43   #18818  |  Link
karamancho
black stain

I understand that lower is better but at which point do rendering times become too high?

e.g. rendering time below X is fine, everything above X is bad.
karamancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 15:20   #18819  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamancho View Post
I understand that lower is better but at which point do rendering times become too high?
Dropped or glitched frames are far more important, do not worry about the rendering time.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 16:05   #18820  |  Link
karamancho
black stain

Quote:
Dropped or glitched frames are far more important
I get those 1) on the very beginning of playback, 2) when switching to FSE and from FSE to windowed mode and 3) after resuming an paused video.

Rendering times are in 30 - 40 ms range for SD and 20 - 30 ms range for 720p.
karamancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling