Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th March 2013, 04:54   #18001  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by artios View Post
Hi, I figured out what was wrong.

In order Nvidia high speed processor to be used at Jinc, the laptop must be charging. Not possible to nvidia to handle Jinc whilst laptop is on battery, even at simple tv rips of 720p I experience constant frame drops.

Sorry I didn't figure it out sooner. Kind of odd though as it can handle with ease Bicubic and Lanczos on battery.

Can anyone confirm that? Is there a workaround?
How about creating a 3D profile for media player (which uses madVR) application ?

Set it to "performance" + "VSync ON", and disable all other AA / texture filtering options, etc...

The recent nVidia GPU driver since 304.xx adaptively controls the GPU's frequency depending on measured loading. The driver does not 100% honor the OS power management settings any more. This behavior is described in the driver's release note.

To be honest, I cannot tell the difference between Lanczos3_AR and Jinc3_AR on 1280x720 anime content with 1920x1080 10-bit output signal to Sony 65HX920. (with super-resolution 50% , SBR on)

Last edited by pie1394; 15th March 2013 at 10:57.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 05:38   #18002  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
Aside form all its prowess, it uses 145 Watts for a 25" monitor; Thats a lot.

Weren't we all told that OLED TV's/Monitors would use little energy?
Yeah and the manual mentions a fan too :/

Anyway, you can get OLED for a grand right here right now and it natively supports 720p@24Hz too: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1426822/
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 14:17   #18003  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Yeah and the manual mentions a fan too :/
It's a high end broadcast monitor, not a consumer-grade display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Anyway, you can get OLED for a grand right here right now and it natively supports 720p@24Hz too: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1426822/
These are terrible - the only thing they do well is 3D, and they require modification to be comfortable.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 20:18   #18004  |  Link
Niyawa

Good to know you figured out the issue artios, turned out to be more simple than we thought. I have one more question for everyone, this I'm really lost since I have no idea what could cause it.

"I cant seem to get the "CUVID Hardware/GPU Deinterlacing" to work. I set it to "Enable Adaptive HW Deinterlacing" and set it to the "50p/60p (Video)" option as well as enabled "high-Quality Processing". I'm running a Nvidia 670 so i know it is not a horsepower issue. I more want to just see if the video playback is smoother since it ups the videos to 60fps. Anyone know how to get this working?"

I know any sort of hardware acceleration won't work with 10-bit, but it doesn't really seem to be the case there, so I'm also asking for directions in that one. Any help is appreciated as always. Oh- I also did a search in the forum and around Google before asking, so I'm fairly confident this is a "new" issue. Both of them are using KCP pack which has madVR (0.86.1), LAV Filters (0.55.3), and MPC-HC lite.

Last edited by Niyawa; 16th March 2013 at 01:32. Reason: Removed something that was already answered.
Niyawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 04:48   #18005  |  Link
oddball

Anyone able to save images in MPC-HC with this version of MadVR? I am using latest LAV filters too. All I get is a blank image. I have to switch to EVR to cap a still. Overlay is unticked btw (read back a bit).

Nvidia latest drivers and GTX560Ti

Last edited by oddball; 16th March 2013 at 05:03.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 05:45   #18006  |  Link
hevulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Anyone able to save images in MPC-HC with this version of MadVR? I am using latest LAV filters too. All I get is a blank image. I have to switch to EVR to cap a still. Overlay is unticked btw (read back a bit).
That happens when you have smooth motion turned on and view the video with no scaling (100% zoom). Resizing the player window or turning off smooth motion should allow you to take screenshots until this bug is fixed.
hevulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 06:04   #18007  |  Link
corporalgator

I saw there was a discussion a few pages back about the most power friendly setup for madvr, but what about lav set to intel quicksync while using a discrete graphics card to handle the upscaling?

I ask because the stupid intel integrated graphics causes blue screens a lot if I turn off my tv since the dummy monitor then takes over and doesn't know what to do when I turn the tv on. This has been an ongoing issue through several drivers, different versions of windows installs and several clean ones at that.

If using dxva is better, then I may just turn off the integrated graphics altogether. Does anyone know?
corporalgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 06:06   #18008  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyawa View Post
"I cant seem to get the "CUVID Hardware/GPU Deinterlacing" to work. I set it to "Enable Adaptive HW Deinterlacing" and set it to the "50p/60p (Video)" option as well as enabled "high-Quality Processing". I'm running a Nvidia 670 so i know it is not a horsepower issue. I more want to just see if the video playback is smoother since it ups the videos to 60fps. Anyone know how to get this working?"

I know any sort of hardware acceleration won't work with 10-bit, but it doesn't really seem to be the case there, so I'm also asking for directions in that one.
With the DXVA-compatible MPEG-2 / H.264 interlaced streams, everything just works fine on my mini-pc server's ION chipset. (Win7x64, GeForce 314.07, LavFilter 0.55.3, madVR 0.86.1, MPC-BE 1.1.0.1b2172)

Although it is not HW limitation, I don't think the CUDA deinterlacing function can be independently used while CUDA video decoder is NOT used. Just curious if nVidia CUDA SDK actually allows it or not...
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 07:05   #18009  |  Link
Niyawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
With the DXVA-compatible MPEG-2 / H.264 interlaced streams, everything just works fine on my mini-pc server's ION chipset. (Win7x64, GeForce 314.07, LavFilter 0.55.3, madVR 0.86.1, MPC-BE 1.1.0.1b2172)

Although it is not HW limitation, I don't think the CUDA deinterlacing function can be independently used while CUDA video decoder is NOT used. Just curious if nVidia CUDA SDK actually allows it or not...
Hmm. I guess that would make sense for a certain perspective. Thanks for input.
Old 16th March 2013, 11:53   #18010  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporalgator View Post
I saw there was a discussion a few pages back about the most power friendly setup for madvr, but what about lav set to intel quicksync while using a discrete graphics card to handle the upscaling?
I can't imagine running 2 GPUs being power efficient.
Old 16th March 2013, 12:01   #18011  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
I can't imagine running 2 GPUs being power efficient.
this makes sense for really powerfull gpu using dxva on an 680 gtx resultants in a high power state while normal madvr scailing is not that demanding and the gpu stays a a lower powerstate.

the igpu is allways very low even under full load.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 12:43   #18012  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
this makes sense for really powerfull gpu using dxva on an 680 gtx resultants in a high power state while normal madvr scailing is not that demanding and the gpu stays a a lower powerstate.
CUVID will do this, DXVA should not. (note: you should use copy-back, not native DXVA)
Old 16th March 2013, 12:53   #18013  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

DXVA forces the GPU into (at least) medium power state, iirc.
Might be GPU dependent.
Old 16th March 2013, 13:54   #18014  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

I would love option to lock my GPU on medium power state. It works great with DXVA, but I don't want to use DXVA... and without it GPU runs in full power which is highly power consuming ;|
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 14:55   #18015  |  Link
DragonQ

You can do that using nVidia Inspector I think (if you have an nVidia card of course). My GT430 isn't powerful enough for HD playback using CUDA unless it's in the highest power state though so it was useless for me. I use DXVA2 Native now anyway.
Old 16th March 2013, 15:21   #18016  |  Link
huhn

u can create for amd a profile with max clock people use this to force the max power state u can use this to force medium power state.

this does not work with every card my 6770 stays always at medium power state as long as dxva is in use. i don't know about other cards with the same "problem".
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 15:27   #18017  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
DXVA forces the GPU into (at least) medium power state, iirc.
Might be GPU dependent.
That's true, but I don't think the GPU will drop down into the low power (P12) state when playing videos regardless of GPU load though.
The only way I have been able to do that, is to force the card into the low power state with Nvidia Inspector, but that can cause other problems.

At least, that's what I have found when using CPU decoding and testing with very low resolution (non-demanding) videos played at 100% size. Even when GPU load is below 5%, it never drops down from the medium (P8) power state, into the low (P12) state.

You really do need to measure these things with some kind of meter though, as it's easy to assume something will lower power consumption when it may not. If the GPU is going to be stuck in the P8 state regardless, it might be more efficient to use DXVA than QuickSync - even if QuickSync should technically be more efficient than DXVA decoding.

If CUVID forces your video card into the full power (P0) state unnecessarily, then it may actually be more efficient to use CPU decoding for example. (though I would recommend DXVA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
I would love option to lock my GPU on medium power state. It works great with DXVA, but I don't want to use DXVA... and without it GPU runs in full power which is highly power consuming ;|
Why is it that you don't want to use DXVA?
Old 16th March 2013, 15:54   #18018  |  Link
corporalgator

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll order a kill-a-watt and test it directly and let everyone know how it turns out.
corporalgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 17:52   #18019  |  Link
JarrettH

Interesting, I tested out the CPU vs GPU decoding yet again, and my result was, since I mostly play 720p upscaled, it makes little difference and that CPU decoding has a slight edge. I balanced out my upscaling settings with Jinc+Jinc instead of Jinc+Bicubic as a result
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 01:50   #18020  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Why is it that you don't want to use DXVA?
Well, I have AMD GPU L3.1 is completely broken and generally DXVA is not stable as software decoding.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling