Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th February 2013, 22:14   #17841  |  Link
truexfan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdboy View Post
I have a nvidia gt 430, latest driver, Mpc-HC, lav video decoder.

1) It seems that when rgb output is selected, the levels setting (full or limited) in nvidia control panel has no effect. the levels setting in madvr overrides it. Is this true?

2) for some reason, blacks are lighter when I enable full screen exclusive. Why should this be?

3) in lav video decoder. I set yuv to rgb conversion to untouched. That's the right way to go right?
i have the same problem with the blacks being too light, i just use the 16-235 -> 0-255 [SD][HD] shader in mpc-hc, it seems to fix it
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 23:29   #17842  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

make sure output 0-255 is set everywhere... madVR, ffdshow, LAV, whatever else you use in your setup.... also make sure you ouput 0-255 via HDMI... Instead of trying to make a custom resolution work, you can simply apply this hack http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/NV_RGBFullRangeToggle.zip (you have to reboot for the changes to have an effect)
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 07:57   #17843  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

madVR also includes a tool to set RGB Full Range over HDMI, its a small stand-alone tool included in the madVR zip, no need to use something third-party, works perfectly for me
Old 1st March 2013, 10:45   #17844  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
With my HD4000, playing 1440x1080i/25 with Jinc3 AR + Jinc3 AR, I get these times and nowhere near smooth playback:

Deinterlace: 26.1 ms
Split: 10.4 ms
Rendering: 65.1 ms
Present: 0.6 ms

It can't even handle 720p/25 playback:

Rendering: 51.2 ms
Present: 0.3 ms

576i/25:

Deinterlace: 23.3 ms
Split: 3.5 ms
Rendering: 42.1 ms
Present: 0.2 ms

Compared to 576i/25 using Bicubic75 AR + Lanczos3 AR:

Deinterlace: 1.8 ms
Split: 1.5 ms
Rendering: 13.9 ms
Present: 0.1 ms

I am amazed that you say it works for you; mine is nowhere near being playable.
So I went back and check again. I can do 720p->1080p with Jinc3+AR on luma, but not both luma and chroma. Luma only net me ~39ms rendering time, which is close but still fast enought for ~41ms required for 60Hz.

Hope that clearify it. I apologize for the confusion.

PS. Printscreen doesn't work with madVR anymore? And MPC-HC/BE build-in screenshot taking does not capture madVR stat, so how do you guys do it?
Old 1st March 2013, 11:10   #17845  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
~41ms required for 60Hz
You're mixed up. When playing back 59.94 fps video, rendering times less than ~16.8ms is required.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 11:14   #17846  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
So I went back and check again. I can do 720p->1080p with Jinc3+AR on luma, but not both luma and chroma. Luma only net me ~39ms rendering time, which is close but still fast enought for ~41ms required for 60Hz.

Hope that clearify it. I apologize for the confusion.
Right, thanks for the clarification. So even with Jinc3 for luma or chroma, rendering times are not fast enough for anything above 24 fps, and even that is pushing it - I wouldn't want average rendering times being <2 ms below the maximum for no dropped frames!

I still hope for an answer from madhsi and/or Nev about why deinterlacing times change massively when different scalers are used.

Quote:
PS. Printscreen doesn't work with madVR anymore? And MPC-HC/BE build-in screenshot taking does not capture madVR stat, so how do you guys do it?
Disable overlay and you can take screenshots as normal.
Old 1st March 2013, 12:19   #17847  |  Link
Heuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
General Settings:
Delay Playback Start = Disabled
Windowed Overlay = Disabled
Automatic Fullscreen Exclusive = Enabled
Disable Desktop Composition = Disabled (unchecked)
Use Separate Device for Presentation = Enabled
Use Separate Device for DXVA Processing = Enabled
CPU queue size = 24
GPU queue size = 16

Windowed Mode:
Backbuffers = 4
Don't Flush (All)

Fullscreen Exclusive Mode:
Present Several Frames in Advance = Enabled
Number of Frame to Present in Advance = 16
Don't Flush (All)

Trade Quality for Performance:
Use lower bitdepth for yCMS 3DLUT calibration = 6 bit [NVIDIA specific for stability under heavy GPU load when using a 3DLUT]
I found a problem with using one of these settings. Setting 'number of frames to present in advance' to '16' and I get terrible lip-synch issues. I set it to '6' and the problem went away. Using Reclock and GT650Ti.

Is this a bug or a feature, being able to control lip-synch from within madVR?
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 12:36   #17848  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

That sounds like a bug. Does the same problem occur when not using Reclock? Or what about disabling madVR Smooth Motion if you had it enabled?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 1st March 2013 at 12:42.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 13:29   #17849  |  Link
toniash

Madshi give us a signal!
toniash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 13:43   #17850  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
madVR also includes a tool to set RGB Full Range over HDMI, its a small stand-alone tool included in the madVR zip, no need to use something third-party, works perfectly for me
you're right, I forgot about that.. ^^
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 13:54   #17851  |  Link
AndreaMG

Madshi,
could you please consider a function (that can be enabled or disabled) that whenever a given number of frame drops occur the OSD automatically appears? The reason is to be sure everything is going the way it should without having to manually check with ctrl+J now and then. Plus sometimes when the number of dropped frames is not massive I find difficult to be aware of the situation if not by hitting ctrl+J. Thanks!
Old 1st March 2013, 14:10   #17852  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
I found a problem with using one of these settings. Setting 'number of frames to present in advance' to '16' and I get terrible lip-synch issues. I set it to '6' and the problem went away. Using Reclock and GT650Ti.

Is this a bug or a feature, being able to control lip-synch from within madVR?
Like cyberbeing already mentioned, that sounds really strange. Upping your GPU buffers should not make things worse (at least not in the sense of smoothness), it could make a difference in seek times, but it should never lead to sync-issues. So, either you have found a bug (try to reproduce it and give a sample to madshi so he can fix) or there´s some other problem with performance (GPU cannot catch up) or Reclock. Are your buffers always filled or do they come close to 0 or approach 0 in some cases?

Just FYI, since I have a GTX580 I can use minimum values for queueing and buffering and I still have a perfectly smooth experience with that. Even if I do increase everything to the maximum values, I never encountered lip-sync issues.

Last edited by iSunrise; 1st March 2013 at 14:13.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 14:12   #17853  |  Link
SamKook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaMG View Post
Madshi,
could you please consider a function (that can be enabled or disabled) that whenever a given number of frame drops occur the OSD automatically appears? The reason is to be sure everything is going the way it should without having to manually check with ctrl+J now and then. Plus sometimes when the number of dropped frames is not massive I find difficult to be aware of the situation if not by hitting ctrl+J. Thanks!
If you don't notice it visually, why would it matter if the OSD tell you there are dropped frames or not?

Also, it would be hard since switching from exclusive to windows always produce dropped frames(there may also be other instances of where dropped frames are normal) so you'd have to find a way to not count those.
SamKook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 14:23   #17854  |  Link
AndreaMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKook View Post
If you don't notice it visually, why would it matter if the OSD tell you there are dropped frames or not?

Also, it would be hard since switching from exclusive to windows always produce dropped frames(there may also be other instances of where dropped frames are normal) so you'd have to find a way to not count those.
But your subconscious does ^^ Let me give you an example: sometimes I disable the frame interpolator of my tv for some reasons and then I watch a video and AT A CERTAIN POINT I realize something is not right because the FI is turned off, but the first couple of minutes of the movie played wrong

In exclusive mode hitting ctrl+J I get no single frame drop, the same goes while playing videos with appropriate settings. The option could of course be configurable, like "if more than x consecutive frame drops occur than...
Old 1st March 2013, 14:37   #17855  |  Link
SamKook

I realize I was clear enough, I meant going from fullscreen exclusive to not fullscreen windowed. I usually get around 20-30 dropped frames that way, which is way more than when things go wrong(but not more then when they go really horribly wrong).

My point was that for the moment before your conciousness realize that something is wrong, the problem isn't bothering you since you're not aware of it even if it was wrong.
Old 1st March 2013, 17:34   #17856  |  Link
Heuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
Like cyberbeing already mentioned, that sounds really strange. Upping your GPU buffers should not make things worse (at least not in the sense of smoothness), it could make a difference in seek times, but it should never lead to sync-issues. So, either you have found a bug (try to reproduce it and give a sample to madshi so he can fix) or there´s some other problem with performance (GPU cannot catch up) or Reclock. Are your buffers always filled or do they come close to 0 or approach 0 in some cases?

Just FYI, since I have a GTX580 I can use minimum values for queueing and buffering and I still have a perfectly smooth experience with that. Even if I do increase everything to the maximum values, I never encountered lip-sync issues.
Tried it without Reclock and it still happens. Tested it with different numbers of forward frames - 14 and 16 are particularly bad but other values seem to be OK although 12 is marginal. Buffers are always full. I am using 10 forward frames at the moment and it is OK. Dropped frames are minimal and repeated frames on 1080i25 to 1080p50 are between 16 hours and 1.5 days.

Last edited by Heuer; 1st March 2013 at 17:36.
Old 1st March 2013, 18:58   #17857  |  Link
MrGlasspoole

Hi,

what is the right way to update?
Just overwriting the old madVR files with the new files?
MrGlasspoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 19:17   #17858  |  Link
Heuer

Having recently had a problem getting madVR .086 to run I would suggest extracting each new version to its own folder. I would then run the uninstall.bat of the old version before running the install.bat of the new version. You can then delete the old version folder if you are happy things are working correctly.
Old 1st March 2013, 19:18   #17859  |  Link
SamKook

I don't know if it's the right way, but I just run the uninstall.bat from the old folder and then the install.bat from the new one and never had any problems. I do add the version at the end of the folder name though so it's never in the same folder, but I would assume deleting all the old files before putting the new ones in would provide the same result.

Edit: ...so pretty much what the guy who was faster than me said.
Old 1st March 2013, 19:27   #17860  |  Link
ThurstonX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlasspoole View Post
Hi,

what is the right way to update?
Just overwriting the old madVR files with the new files?
FWIW, I've only ever unzipped the new version into the old version's folder, using folder/path names and overwriting files without prompting. Never had a problem. YMMV.
ThurstonX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling