Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th November 2012, 22:15   #15801  |  Link
Snowknight26

When using DXVA with H.264 files, seeking causes madVR to jumble up the frame order. If the video is, say, 100 frames long, seeking to frame 50 from frame 20 seems to cause the frames to be played back in this order until it hits the seek point: 20,50,21,50,22,50,23,50...

http://stfcc.org/misc/madVR - log v0.85.1.zip
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 01:36   #15802  |  Link
Portioli
Continuous Beta Tester

Congrats for the latest version of MadVR and the DXVA2 support.
I think the biggest problem for ATi users after enabling DXVA-CB was the VC1 1080i50/60 playback.
Now i can watch all the BBC Planet earth & Life BDs using MadVR.
Till now, i have the best results (PQ, lower Cpu load & properly deinterlaced) using Arcsoft Video Decoder for VC1.
If you want i have uploaded only the necessary files in this folder here.
The idea and the checkactivate.dll is from this thread.

At last one more question. Many people talk here about didee`s finesharp script.
Is it the same shader like the MPC-HC built-in finesharp or you need to add it using avisynth`s LSFmod?

thx in advance!
Portioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 01:40   #15803  |  Link
ajp_anton

When I activate fullscreen together with changing the refresh rate, the start menu icon (from "Classic Start Menu") stays on top of the movie until I exit and enter fullscreen again (without changing the refresh rate).
Of course it only happens with windowed fullscreen, not exclusive mode.

Screenshot: http://ajpanton.se/menu.png
Logfile, in case it's even there: http://ajpanton.se/log.zip
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 09:23   #15804  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Problems:
- DXVA2 scaling seems to use something like nearest neighbor.
- some frames are shown out of order when seeking. (DXVA2 decoding + scaling)
- when seeking "scaling failed" warning may appear, but playback seems to immediately continue fine
Now on 0.85.1 and LAV 0.54 I couldn't reproduce problems 1 and 3 anymore.

Problem 2:
It seems to only be related to DXVA2 decoding, not the scaling. I created a log. (Opened video, seeked once, waited a few seconds, seeked again, waited a few seconds, seeked again, waited a few seconds, then closed the player)
Out-of-order/jerkyness on all three seeks. It looks a bit like this happens until the decoder has caught up after the seek. Not really sure.

log (mirror)
sample (mirror)

MPC-HC
Win 7 x64
HD 5850 (Cat 12.11 Beta 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
* added "[DXVA2]" to debug log when DXVA2 decoding is used
This doesn't seem to happen here, even though LAV says it's using dxva2 native.

/edit:
Or is "[DXVA2]" only supposed to be added to the debug OSD?

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 27th November 2012 at 13:39.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 09:45   #15805  |  Link
dansrfe

Which card is a better investment for madVR at max settings: Sapphire 7970 or GTX 670? I've heard that NVidia's driver's are better but I'm not sure about that.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 10:58   #15806  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Ever since NVIDIA fixed the issue with the playback glitches in madVR, i would go NVIDIA for video without any reservations. AMD just has a bad history of not properly supporting the things they claim to support, the latest being 4K decoding, which the 7xxx series claimed to do, but it never worked properly and was simply turned off in the latest drivers. NVIDIA drivers have been rather solid since the glitch fix, at least for me.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:55   #15807  |  Link
wanezhiling

Nvidia, no reason!!!
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 12:27   #15808  |  Link
Warlock

Madshi, a GeForce GTX 650 Ti supports run jinc3 AR + linear light both in chroma, image downscaling / upscaling?
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 12:43   #15809  |  Link
MokrySedeS
I am the one who knocks

What I found interesting about DXVA2 scaling is that my GTS450 uses two different scalers for different resolutions.
DXVA2 upscaling for a 720p file looks like bilinear. For SD it looks more like lanczos.
Also, I've tried a 1280x546 file and it's treated like sd (sharp scaler and wrong colors) but 1280x580 is treated like HD (soft scaler and correct colors).
MokrySedeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 13:20   #15810  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Madshi, a GeForce GTX 650 Ti supports run jinc3 AR + linear light both in chroma, image downscaling / upscaling?
Supports isn't the correct word, it'll run it but frame drops could sometimes occur depending on what resolution your upscaling/downscaling from and to, more with the downscaling than the upscaling.
I think the 650 would be cutting it pretty fine, I think your best bet is the 660.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 14:19   #15811  |  Link
AndreaMG

@Madshi (or anyone):

Whenever I play a dvd in MadVR OSD it is wrongly reported "movie 25 fps" even if it's actually 23.976 or 24 fps as correctly reported in real time by both FFdshow raw video filter and reclock. Why? Can be fixed? Notice that by showing the wrong frame per second rate you lose also the information (which I like a lot) about the frame repeat every...The worst thing is that if I let MadVR take care of the display frame reate switching according to the movie fps it goes to 50HZ, which is wrong, MPCHC autochange fullsceen monitor otherwise behaves correctly.
Thanks
AndreaMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 16:15   #15812  |  Link
Razoola

I must say I am very happy with the current state of madVR. There is only one thing left that I'd like to see and madshi has indicated its quite high on his priority list. Its going to be a good christmas
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 16:36   #15813  |  Link
mindz

Stupid questions, but im trying to figure this whole DXVA vs. software thingie out.

About DXVA Deinterlacing. If I enable the deinterlacing in mVR, will I automatically get the DXVA deinterlacing? And if I get the DXVA deinterlacing does that mean Im getting the Vector Adaptive deinterlacing? I am using ATI 5770. I think i read somewhere mVR will just pick the best deinterlacing algorithm available from the graphics card?
mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 23:09   #15814  |  Link
DragonQ

As I understand it, yes, MadVR uses hardware deinterlacing (as EVR does). I believe for nVidia the best quality deinterlacing is used by default (vector adaptive for most cards I think), for AMD you have to set what you want in the CCC.
Old 27th November 2012, 01:24   #15815  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm not in a position to talk to the PotPlayer devs about this since I'm not using PotPlayer myself and I don't even know which problems are there exactly. And no, I'm not interested to find out. If the PotPlayer devs have questions about how to do something, they can contact me and ask.
Actually, I just found out that they did fix it and that with 1.5.34665 the transport bar doesn't break FSE anymore

They've also been kind enough to make a few adjustments in the profiles automatic rules in order to make it easier to specify a different PS script based on resolution and frame rate, too good

I find it rather sarcastic how what I've been dreaming of for years is finally possible now that I'm just about to buy a pj with a CMS

This said, the ISF CMS stuff uses something called "CCA tables" and that doesn't seem nearly as easy as inputting the RGBW xy coordinates in an excel sheet...so backup plans are always good, should I need a few days/weeks to figure out that CCA stuff

But it can allow 5% tolerances on saturations with a ΔE no higher than 2 so it will be well worth the effort anyway....as nothing can do that on a PC at this point AFAIK, tritical gave me a definitive NO and yesgrey told me years ago that he'd think about it.

Last edited by leeperry; 27th November 2012 at 03:49.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 02:54   #15816  |  Link
toomyzoom

Error trying to use DXVA2 native

Hi madshi, when I tried to use lav video decoder (0.54) to DXVA2 native output NV12 to madVR (0.85.1), I got "creating Direct3D device failed (8876086c)" with all video. Can you you tell me how to set the decoder to feed the renderer correctly?

Thank you.
toomyzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 03:05   #15817  |  Link
ryrynz

That isn't something you can fix up on the LAV configuration side, it sounds like you have a problem with your graphics card driver. Does that happen with EVR?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 03:32   #15818  |  Link
toomyzoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
That isn't something you can fix up on the LAV configuration side, it sounds like you have a problem with your graphics card driver. Does that happen with EVR?
Doesn't happen with EVR custom, only with madVR. I have Geforce 9800gtx+ with 306.23 driver. With Lav video decoder output 8-bit to NV12, EVR Custom displays it with no problem but always gets above error with madVR.
Old 27th November 2012, 04:19   #15819  |  Link
toomyzoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomyzoom View Post
Doesn't happen with EVR custom, only with madVR. I have Geforce 9800gtx+ with 306.23 driver. With Lav video decoder output 8-bit to NV12, EVR Custom displays it with no problem but always gets above error with madVR.
Never mind. Got it to work after install 306.97 driver and restart.
Old 27th November 2012, 06:40   #15820  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomyzoom View Post
Never mind. Got it to work after install 306.97 driver and restart.
Read #15824 for the root cause of my issue.
I see...
That's why I am also curious that all of my 3 machines never get Lav 0.54 dxva2n activated with madVR 0.85.1 dxva scaling.

ION with Geforce driver 306.23
GTX260+ with Geforce driver 306.23
HD5450M with Catalyst 11.12

Last edited by pie1394; 27th November 2012 at 15:18. Reason: Describe the root cause of issue
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling