Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th April 2011, 20:04   #6961  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

no problems at all with any of those new version. maybe its just because Im running a 60Hz display on XP, but I really dont know where all the problems you guys have come from.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 20:09   #6962  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Also just getting a black screen with 0.55. Have to kill player via task manager. 0.54 works fine.
snap for me, win7 SP1 x64 270.51 mpc-hc 3033
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 20:21   #6963  |  Link
zeroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroo View Post
I have installed 0.54, but when I switch to fullscreen mode on secondary display, mpc-hc crashes.
Should be fixed in v0.55.
Great! It works now. However, switching to fullscreen is faster than ever on the secondary display.
zeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 20:21   #6964  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Oh well. That's *exactly* what I feared. Now that I changed it to green, here come several votes to change it back to red. <sigh> Can't please everybody, I guess.
Any possibility of making it... blue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Maybe it would be an idea to have everyone reporting issues with the new exclusive mode to use a set ati or nvidia driver revision of madshis choosing.
It happened to me. madshi is using nvidia 270.51 and I was still using the previous ones. I updated mine and some of the problems vanished.

OK. Now I've discovered that I have new problems with the custom resolutions creation but that's not madshi's fault...
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 20:28   #6965  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey View Post
Troublemaker!

Quote:
It happened to me. madshi is using nvidia 270.51 and I was still using the previous ones. I updated mine and some of the problems vanished.

OK. Now I've discovered that I have new problems with the custom resolutions creation but that's not madshi's fault...
I had to nuke that driver off my machine. I could never get it to stay in sync with audio. I rolled back to the latest WHQL driver (268 I think or whatever it is). Haven't have any problems since but, I also haven't tested madVR on that machine in a couple days. I will be doing so tomorrow.
Old 15th April 2011, 20:29   #6966  |  Link
Plutotype

0.55 tested

Hi,

Tested 0.55 on 24Hz LCD TV and following numbers were to see:

- black screen when I have "launch in fullscreen function i MPC-HC" enabled or switch too quickly from windowed - ctrl+alt+delete has to be used in this case + kill mpc-exe

- if starting from windowed and then expanding to fullscreen exclusive ( 2 steps ), video starts ok ( up to 10-15 dropped frames and occasionally 1 delayed frame and 1 glitch after both steps )

- playback fine, when resetting the stats, 0 dropped frames, 0 glitches after 30minutes ( fps 23.976 / display 24 ). Additionally, in the OSD field "1 frame drop every..." I get stats like 14 days, 124days, 61 days, 12days, 6 days, 22days...after 30 minutes of playback. Is this fine?

Pluto
Old 15th April 2011, 20:30   #6967  |  Link
dansrfe

Actually it would be pretty cool if you can add a dropdown for us to choose the color we want the OSD to have
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 20:45   #6968  |  Link
underzone

Oh dear... v0.55 has broken mine too. Black screens on either monitor (or amp), or an MPC-HC hang. latest everything (MPC 3033, ffdshow, etc)

update... installed 0.54 again, everything spot on again. Wierd!

Last edited by underzone; 15th April 2011 at 20:58.
underzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 21:00   #6969  |  Link
BeNooL

Going full screen on 2nd screen freeze MPC-HC.
Here's a log http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CD5ZHAND

Also the new rendering path on ATI 4550 is worse...the +99% GPU usage is effectively causing massive drops.
BeNooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 21:00   #6970  |  Link
neb1236

Hi, just moved to 0.55 from 0.51 and noticed that moving mpc from one screen to another screen is not anymore flawless, the windows/mouse get stuck and video paused for half a second before allowing me to pass from one screen to another. It’s king of awkward.
It’s probably since v0.53, but I can’t find this precise version to test.
I’m using a Radeon HD6950 with 11.3 drivers
Do you need a log?
neb1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 21:05   #6971  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
For those that want to default their settings, the following key should be removed from the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR

And delete the settings.bin. I think that'll do it, right?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Here's a bat file for it. As always when editing the registry, BE CAREFUL!
Nice one! I might add it to the next madVR version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
With madvr0.54, counter in fraps become 72fps instead of 96 fps and there are lots of presentation glitch.
With madvr 0.55 (even parameters :default parameters), Counter in fraps become 95 fps instead of 96 fps. Presentation glitch counter increase 1 by one each second.
You can try playing with the flush settings in the "exclusive mode settings" tab. Maybe that helps.

Quote:
Is there a difference between fullscreen exclusive mode of madvr 0.50 and fullscreen exclusive mode of madvr 0.55?
Yes. v0.50 was a first try and (although it seemed to work well for some people) had many bugs and didn't do things really properly. I hope v0.55 does things properly now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuan View Post
I'm also one of "60fps at 60Hz works fine and 24/30fps at 60Hz does not". By does not I meant presentation glitches is not zero as 60fps/60Hz.
Can you create a log with 60fps at 60Hz (no glitches), and another log with 30fps at 60Hz (glitches)? Maybe if I compare them I can see something. Or maybe not. Might be worth a try, in any case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuan View Post
Another thing when I set every flush settings for exclusive mode to no flush, switching track using MPC next/previous hangs the program.
Weird. Can anybody reproduce that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
It seems presently (from my opinion at least) that poor madshi is trying his upmost to get these new exclusive mode issues fixed. When fixes for some get sorted it introduces problems for others. When madshi fixes those issues the first people have problems again. It seems to me this could be more me due to problems in gpu drivers than anything else. Maybe it would be an idea to have everyone reporting issues with the new exclusive mode to use a set ati or nvidia driver revision of madshis choosing. I feel it could greatly help this situation.
Well, I had a similar feeling, but I hope that by offering the flush settings again that I might be able to offer a version that works for everybody (after manual tweaking if necessary).

Some things are real bugs. E.g. the fullscreen freeze in v0.54/0.55. Other things are worth looking into, e.g. why some people have glitches with 24fps at 60Hz while they don't have any glitches with 60fps at 60Hz, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
- playback fine, when resetting the stats, 0 dropped frames, 0 glitches after 30minutes ( fps 23.976 / display 24 ). Additionally, in the OSD field "1 frame drop every..." I get stats like 14 days, 124days, 61 days, 12days, 6 days, 22days...after 30 minutes of playback. Is this fine?
Sounds good to me.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 21:08   #6972  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNooL View Post
the new rendering path on ATI 4550 is worse...the +99% GPU usage is effectively causing massive drops.
Which refresh rate and movie frame rate are we talking about here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb1236 View Post
Hi, just moved to 0.55 from 0.51 and noticed that moving mpc from one screen to another screen is not anymore flawless, the windows/mouse get stuck and video paused for half a second before allowing me to pass from one screen to another. It’s king of awkward.
Actually older versions didn't handle this properly. I know it looked "flawless". However, try this with an older version:

(1) start windowed one monitor 1.
(2) go fullscreen. madVR should switch to exclusive mode.
(3) go windowed.
(4) move window to monitor 2.
(5) go fullscreen. madVR fails to switch to exclusive mode.

The newer versions fix this. You can now do the above and go fullscreen on either monitor. The cost of this fix is that everytime you move to a different monitor, madVR has to reset the Direct3D device. Which causes that half second pause you've noticed. Sorry, there's nothing I can do about it.
Old 15th April 2011, 21:09   #6973  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.56 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: going directly to fullscreen mode made madVR freeze
Old 15th April 2011, 21:10   #6974  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Nice one! I might add it to the next madVR version...
Sweet. Glad I was able to contribute finally. LOL! It should be fairly safe given that I backup the settings.bin. That way they can revert. I never like when these things go wrong. It allows people to test settings, too. BUT, and here's the big warning people (!!!) - if you use this multiple times, say, to backup your current settings, set to default, mess with settings, set to default AGAIN, you will have lost your original settings. So if you want to do testing like that BACKUP the settings.old file! You have been warned!
Old 15th April 2011, 21:25   #6975  |  Link
neb1236

Quote:
Actually older versions didn't handle this properly. I know it looked "flawless". However, try this with an older version:

(1) start windowed one monitor 1.
(2) go fullscreen. madVR should switch to exclusive mode.
(3) go windowed.
(4) move window to monitor 2.
(5) go fullscreen. madVR fails to switch to exclusive mode.

The newer versions fix this. You can now do the above and go fullscreen on either monitor. The cost of this fix is that everytime you move to a different monitor, madVR has to reset the Direct3D device. Which causes that half second pause you've noticed. Sorry, there's nothing I can do about it.
Well sorry but I don't need to use exclusive mode (as I don't like screen flash when switching to fullscreen, and that I don’t see improvement using exclusive mode)
Will stick to an old version as it satisfies me. Thanks for all the work you’ve done.
Except if you don't reset the Direct3D device when exclusive mode is disable, but I don’t know if it’s possible.
Old 15th April 2011, 21:26   #6976  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:

You can try playing with the flush settings in the "exclusive mode settings" tab. Maybe that helps.
I tried many combinations and no change. I always have the problem.

Quote:
Yes. v0.50 was a first try and (although it seemed to work well for some people) had many bugs and didn't do things really properly. I hope v0.55 does things properly now.

With 0.50 I have no problem but since 0.51 I have the problem that I described you.

Last edited by ikarad; 15th April 2011 at 22:16.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 21:35   #6977  |  Link
pdanpdan

0.56 is working - no more freeze, thank you
pdanpdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 21:38   #6978  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb1236 View Post
Well sorry but I don't need to use exclusive mode (as I don't like screen flash when switching to fullscreen, and that I don’t see improvement using exclusive mode)
Will stick to an old version as it satisfies me. Thanks for all the work you’ve done.
Except if you don't reset the Direct3D device when exclusive mode is disable, but I don’t know if it’s possible.
I think the old version should have a higher CPU consumption, too, if you move the media player to a different monitor.

Quote:
I tried many combinations and no change. I always have the problem.

With 0.50 I have no problem but since 0.51 I have the problem that I described you.
Do you actually *see* the glitches? I mean is motion non-smooth? v0.50 did not even know if there were glitches, even if there were some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdanpdan View Post
0.56 is working - no more freeze, thank you
Glad to hear that.
Old 15th April 2011, 21:44   #6979  |  Link
SamuriHL

Finally got around to testing on my nVidia, underpowered X2 machine. Works great! Very minor frame drops when doing stupid things like chapter skipping, pause/play, going in and out of FSE mode, etc. Once you let it settle down I lose maybe 1 frame every 3-5 minutes (mainly cause nVidia has no clue what 23.976 actually means. SIGH). It's freaking gorgeous on that Samsung panel. Man I need to replace my living room TV! Anyway, I'm extremely pleased with 0.56. Works on my AMD machines, as well.
Old 15th April 2011, 21:45   #6980  |  Link
neb1236

Quote:
I think the old version should have a higher CPU consumption, too, if you move the media player to a different monitor.
Probably, but to be honest it's kind of difficult to see a difference on a quad core at 4Ghz, 1080p playback plays around 10% cpu so I never had problem with such things...

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling