Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th October 2016, 20:46   #39681  |  Link
Asmodian

If you just want to know what madVR's options mean you can look at the post in my signature as well. I also cover how high the rendering time can go in the third post (more advanced topics).
Old 11th October 2016, 17:41   #39682  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neno View Post
So what is the matter with BlueSkyFRC?
Switching madVR to DX11 solves crashes with upscaling in FSE mode with my AMD RX 480 card. But then, blueskyFRC stops working because the stuttering/judder is back. SVP does work though. I read on a forum that blueSkyFRC does not support DX11, but this is not true.

I had contact with Bluesky and they told me

“BlueskyFRC write NV12 data in buffer allocated by the madVR.
The version of DirectX is unrelated in this process.”

Somehow the madVR connection BlueskyFRC is broken.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 19:27   #39683  |  Link
har3inger

A shot in the dark here, but have you tried enabling 1 frame per vsync under D3D11 rendering?
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 21:31   #39684  |  Link
ashlar42

Can anyone point me at something if my present queue never fills up when displaying fullscreen at 2560x1440 (1080p sources)? Render times are under control but the present queue is always empty and frames get dropped. madVR 0.90.24, GTX 980, Windows 10x64, GeForce Drivers 373.06, MPC-HC x64 1.7.10.252
Happens with both D3D11 and D3D9. I use smooth motion on a 59.94Hz refresh rate monitor.

Last edited by ashlar42; 11th October 2016 at 21:38.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 21:40   #39685  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
A shot in the dark here, but have you tried enabling 1 frame per vsync under D3D11 rendering?

While I was experimenting with some settings in madVR I also disabled and enabled blueskyFRC a few times. Suddenly blueskyFRC worked. I have changed the settings back and it still works. I don’t know why.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 21:53   #39686  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Can anyone point me at something if my present queue never fills up when displaying fullscreen at 2560x1440 (1080p sources)? Render times are under control but the present queue is always empty and frames get dropped. madVR 0.90.24, GTX 980, Windows 10x64, GeForce Drivers 373.06, MPC-HC x64 1.7.10.252
Happens with both D3D11 and D3D9. I use smooth motion on a 59.94Hz refresh rate monitor.
make a screen of the OSD please.

it doesn't really matter but 60p should a little little bit better than 59p with smoothmotion.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 01:30   #39687  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
make a screen of the OSD please.

it doesn't really matter but 60p should a little little bit better than 59p with smoothmotion.
The same happens with Exclusive Mode. I used Windowed for ease of screen taking (if there's a way of grabbing it with Exclusive I didn't find it quickly).

What's strange are Max Stats. In Average Stats those high values never appear but as soon as I go fullscreen the Max Stats jump to these incredibly high values.

Last edited by ashlar42; 12th October 2016 at 01:35.
Old 12th October 2016, 01:42   #39688  |  Link
robl45

quick question, why does madvr display composition rate of 24hz when display is 23.976 when playing with mpc-be/HC but shows composition rate of 23.976 when display is 23.976 in Jriver media center?
robl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 08:16   #39689  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
The same happens with Exclusive Mode. I used Windowed for ease of screen taking (if there's a way of grabbing it with Exclusive I didn't find it quickly).
it is maybe possible to take FSE screens with things like fraps.
but ignore this windowed is fine for now.

Quote:
What's strange are Max Stats. In Average Stats those high values never appear but as soon as I go fullscreen the Max Stats jump to these incredibly high values.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2nbais5.jpg
are you using a 3D LUT?
try control+shift+3 and see if it makes a huge difference.

have a look at the CPU usages even the subtitles are not buffered.

and you haven't changed the nvidia "manage 3D settings" right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
quick question, why does madvr display composition rate of 24hz when display is 23.976 when playing with mpc-be/HC but shows composition rate of 23.976 when display is 23.976 in Jriver media center?
the composition rate is the refresh rate windows is using for the desktop.

24hz with a 23p source is pretty much save.
this type of error happens a lot with windows 7
Old 12th October 2016, 11:13   #39690  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
are you using a 3D LUT?
try control+shift+3 and see if it makes a huge difference.

have a look at the CPU usages even the subtitles are not buffered.

and you haven't changed the nvidia "manage 3D settings" right?
No, I'm not using 3D LUT. CTRL+SHIFT+3 didn't make an ounce of a difference.
Nvidia 3D settings are at default values for MPC-HC (both x86 and x64 versions, all at "use global settings").

Now, while checking CPU usage (which stays quite low, I'm on an i74770K, decoding with DXVA copyback h.264 content), I discovered an even stranger (to me, at least) thing. As you can see if the task manager window sits on top of MPC-HC window the present queue fills up normally. This happens even if I switch the focus to MPC-HC and away from task manager (which remains on top because I've activated the relevant function). As soon as I close task manager, present queue empties.

Old 12th October 2016, 11:26   #39691  |  Link
ashlar42

I'm currently investigating f.lux, as it might be the reason this is happening. I've been using it for a very long time and in the past it didn't give me problems. But in July I updated to Windows 10 and later Anniversary... not using often fullscreen on my desktop PC (I usually watch movies from HTPC) I might not have noticed this before.

Activating f.lux "Safe Mode" seems to solve the problem. As it doesn't significantly impair f.lux performance or functionality, all should be good. In case it could help madshi understand, Safe Mode in f.lux does the following (per their FAQ):

1. It disables our layered window for compatibility with some older machines. 2. It disables all polling we normally do to ensure that we're the active color profile.

Last edited by ashlar42; 12th October 2016 at 11:40.
Old 12th October 2016, 11:35   #39692  |  Link
robl45

The problem is jriver media center is working correctly and mpc-hc/be aren't. I'm randomly getting 23.976 or 24 in the latter while jriver is always 23.976.

Quote:

the composition rate is the refresh rate windows is using for the desktop.

24hz with a 23p source is pretty much save.
this type of error happens a lot with windows 7
Old 12th October 2016, 11:41   #39693  |  Link
huhn

there is nothing more i can do than pointing to this: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=204
Old 12th October 2016, 11:45   #39694  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
there is nothing more i can do than pointing to this: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=204
Thats a little different, that says while the player is open and switching refresh and I am closing the player and madvr each time. Further that says its fixed in 8.1 and I'm using 10.
Old 12th October 2016, 11:48   #39695  |  Link
huhn

the point is madVR doesn't have control over it.
Old 12th October 2016, 12:25   #39696  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
I'm currently investigating f.lux, as it might be the reason this is happening. I've been using it for a very long time and in the past it didn't give me problems. But in July I updated to Windows 10 and later Anniversary... not using often fullscreen on my desktop PC (I usually watch movies from HTPC) I might not have noticed this before.

Activating f.lux "Safe Mode" seems to solve the problem. As it doesn't significantly impair f.lux performance or functionality, all should be good. In case it could help madshi understand, Safe Mode in f.lux does the following (per their FAQ):

1. It disables our layered window for compatibility with some older machines. 2. It disables all polling we normally do to ensure that we're the active color profile.
Wouldn't be the first time f.lux is causing problems, two programs vying for complete control of the screen usually ends badly. It's also worth pointing out that for maximum image quality you're best of disabling f.lux during playback, as they don't bother to use dithering which results in quite horrible banding.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 13:12   #39697  |  Link
sauma144

I have always has problems with f.lux and madVR or games.
Maybe we could add a notice somewhere about it.

Is there a way for madVR to disable this kind of software when it is running?
If so why not adding an option/checkbox in madVR to do this?
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 14:00   #39698  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post

If so why not adding an option/checkbox in madVR to do this?
As I mentioned, putting f.lux in Safe Mode solves my problem. Although I haven't really tested if it disables dithering or not... but it's a quick test.

Let me check (goes checking...)

(comes back...)

In my case f.lux does not influence dithering at all. Just the present queue, problem you can solve by placing it in Safe Mode. Unless... unless Shiandow meant that the color correction done by f.lux doesn't use dithering, hence banding appearing. I tested for madVR dithering but maybe it was the wrong test.

Last edited by ashlar42; 12th October 2016 at 14:59.
Old 12th October 2016, 14:40   #39699  |  Link
Dreamland

I have a question:
Radeon RX 480 is much better than Radeon R9 380 for MadVR?
thx a lot!
Dreamland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 15:54   #39700  |  Link
ibius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post

Not exactly 'disable', but bypass, using Overlay mode, requires Nvidia GPU, and should also give slightly better performance, but it has a few cosmetic issues.
ibius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling