Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th November 2012, 11:29   #15861  |  Link
mindz

Software decoding video and audio on my i7 only takes about 3% of the CPU when running madVR, i cant understand the need for DXVA from an i7 POV anyway. And i got an i7 + 5770 in a HTPC case (which is perfectly possible).

The thing im amazed about is how many people still run ancient hardware that needs DXVA and are willing to pay for PQ by doing DXVA scaling, when PC parts these days are so cheap..
mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 12:48   #15862  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Easy answers now. Difficult answers will come in the next couple of hours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp2k11 View Post
been trying to troubleshoot my problem with some mkv files and madvr (they play fine using EVR/CP). It's mostly some 1080p files but also some 720p files.

Anyway, I just remuxed a problem file to mp4 using mkv2mp4 and mpc-hc with madvr plays it without any problems!? I tried just remuxing the mkv using mkvtoolnix but the new mkv didn't play.

Any suggestions? What more can I test?

(running Win8 Pro, graphics card is radeon 6650M with catalyst mobility 12.10. LAV 0.54/MadVR 0.85.1, MPC-HC b6252)

EDIT: Never mind, looks like the remux only helped on one file...

EDIT2: All files work in ZoomPlayer Free 8.5!
This is really all very weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckec View Post
I have found weird issue with native dxva decoding, it seems dxva2n input is not handled same way as dxva2cb.

My output settings are following:
Output format in CCC is set to Limited RGB, madvr outputs TV levels and my TV is set to Limited RGB, basically everywhere is limited RGB.

When using dxva2cb for decoding, WTW and BTB are preserved, after switching to dxva2n, WTW and BTB are cut off, also when watching Black Clipping test video, 17-25 are not flashing anymore.

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I shows in both cases: "source levels: auto detect (TV)"

When using EVR-CP there is no such difference when changing dxva mode in LAV decoder.

setup: HD 6670, Win7, madvr 0.85.1, LAV filters 0.54.0
Should be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
When I activate fullscreen together with changing the refresh rate, the start menu icon (from "Classic Start Menu") stays on top of the movie until I exit and enter fullscreen again (without changing the refresh rate).
Of course it only happens with windowed fullscreen, not exclusive mode.
In windowed fullscreen mode, madVR does not do any fancy stuff, so I don't think that's madVR's fault. I don't see what I could do to this change this. But it doesn't happen for me, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
This doesn't seem to happen here, even though LAV says it's using dxva2 native.

/edit:
Or is "[DXVA2]" only supposed to be added to the debug OSD?
Yeah, meant the debug OSD, will fix the changelog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MokrySedeS View Post
What I found interesting about DXVA2 scaling is that my GTS450 uses two different scalers for different resolutions.
DXVA2 upscaling for a 720p file looks like bilinear. For SD it looks more like lanczos.
Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaMG View Post
Whenever I play a dvd in MadVR OSD it is wrongly reported "movie 25 fps" even if it's actually 23.976 or 24 fps as correctly reported in real time by both FFdshow raw video filter and reclock. Why?
The "movie ... fps" information is simply what the upstream filter (video decoder or DVD navigator or whatever) is reporting to madVR. It's the fault of the upstream filters, not madVR's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindz View Post
About DXVA Deinterlacing. If I enable the deinterlacing in mVR, will I automatically get the DXVA deinterlacing? And if I get the DXVA deinterlacing does that mean Im getting the Vector Adaptive deinterlacing? I am using ATI 5770. I think i read somewhere mVR will just pick the best deinterlacing algorithm available from the graphics card?
If you activate deinterlacing and don't force film mode then you'll get DXVA deinterlacing. madVR will always pick the best quality algorithm DXVA offers. I'm not sure if the GPU driver control panel options affect which algorithms are offered via DXVA. Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
I just wanted to know that when you enable 10 bit or higher output sometime in a future version, will that work on NVIDIA GeForce cards (or only Quadro cards)?
I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
I just realize that lav dxva2n decoding does not work with the old rendering path option.
Correct, and it probably never will, for some internal technical reasons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
I use AMD HD4550 with Windows7/64bit.
Colors in (2), (3), (4) are the same but different from (1). Especially green is much too oversaturated. (1) stays the same by using copy-back-decoding instead of software.
DXVA-Deinterlacing works as intended, no change in colors.
Interesting: using native decoding instead of copy-back lowers cpu load as expected but as well gpu load! Furthermore dxva2 upscaling has about the same gpu load as Mitchell-Netravali.
Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Hmm, what does it mean if I get a "MadVR reports deinterlacing failed" message when trying to play a 576i/25 video on my Intel i5-430M (Arrandale) when using LAV in DXVA2 Native mode?

EDIT: Doesn't work with DXVA2 Copy-Back or software encoding either.
It means that the DXVA2 APIs report failure for some reason. I don't know why. And it will be hard to fix without having access to such hardware. The same DXVA2 code in madVR appears to work fine for newer Intel GPUs, so I'm wondering if it's maybe a driver issue. But I don't really know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweinsz View Post
When will the madVR have the 3D support in your development estimation?
Replied via PM.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 13:32   #15863  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpo View Post
@madshi - I know you can take single screenshots with madVR now, but will you be implementing it s that it can do stepped frames? or should we just use a different render?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpo View Post
might just be MPC-HC then, because it throws up a little box saying it cant do stepped frames and to use a different render
Hmmmmm... I've checked this. It seems to depend on the video and the decoder. After a seek (which is used by MPC-HC for thumbnail creation) madVR currently waits up to 100ms for a decoded video frame to arrive. If the decoder is too slow, madVR will report that frame stepping isn't possible. I've now upped that waiting time to 1 full second. That seems to fix the problem.
Old 30th November 2012, 13:48   #15864  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Problem 2:
It seems to only be related to DXVA2 decoding, not the scaling. I created a log. (Opened video, seeked once, waited a few seconds, seeked again, waited a few seconds, seeked again, waited a few seconds, then closed the player)
Out-of-order/jerkyness on all three seeks. It looks a bit like this happens until the decoder has caught up after the seek. Not really sure.

log (mirror)
sample (mirror)

MPC-HC
Win 7 x64
HD 5850 (Cat 12.11 Beta 8)
I've tested with NVidia 9400, LAV 54.1 and my latest madVR sources on win7 x64 and I can't reproduce any issues here. Seeking works just fine without any issues. Can you please double check with LAV 54.1, and with the next madVR build?
Old 30th November 2012, 14:19   #15865  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
In windowed fullscreen mode, madVR does not do any fancy stuff, so I don't think that's madVR's fault. I don't see what I could do to this change this. But it doesn't happen for me, anyway.
It might be that madVR goes to fullscreen before it changes the refresh rate. I found I have no idea how to change the refresh rate manually *after* going to fullscreen to see if that's what's causing it... but it doesn't happen if I just go to fullscreen without a refresh rate change.

edit:
Nevermind haha, found a tool that changes it with a hotkey.
Changing the refresh rate while in fullscreen doesn't cause this. However, if madVR's changer is activated, it will quickly revert the change to whatever madVR wants it to be, which causes the icon to show up again, without even leaving fullscreen.

Last edited by ajp_anton; 30th November 2012 at 14:30.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 14:39   #15866  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindz View Post
Software decoding video and audio on my i7 only takes about 3% of the CPU when running madVR, i cant understand the need for DXVA from an i7 POV anyway. And i got an i7 + 5770 in a HTPC case (which is perfectly possible).

The thing im amazed about is how many people still run ancient hardware that needs DXVA and are willing to pay for PQ by doing DXVA scaling, when PC parts these days are so cheap..
I don't know if Core2Duo P8600 + nVidia ION-LE (on AOpen GP7A-U) is an ancient hardware. This is my 24hr-online mini-server at home and also the regular daily usage PC. Although ION graphics performance is not as great as high-performance GPU, it is still on pair with the Intel HD4000 on i7-3770K. Yet The Intel IGP occupies the biggest market share on PC's graphics chipset...

This is not a joke! I have been used several recent-yeared Intel graphics platform like HD2000, HD3000. All of them are much slower than nVidia ION or AMD/ATI HD5450m, and the Intel graphics driver is much less features. It also has somewhat unstable driver stability on video playback functions.

My HTPC is also an aged hardware. But it is still the fastest one among all my own. C2D E8400@3.6G + MSI Lightning GTX260+ (GT200, 216SP, 1792MB).

With the madVR Luma Lanczos3 + Anti-ring + CUVID, I found the GTX260+ could be overloaded for H.264 1280x720 & MPEG2 HDTV 1440x1080 / 1920x1080 contents displayed at 1920x1080. I need to turn off Luma's anti-ring, or use SW MPEG-2 decoding + processing. But SW MPEG-2 decoding sacrifices some MPEG-2 quality enhancement by this nVidia GPU processing. With madVR previously, it is only available by using CUVID to let GPU process the entire decoding + post-processing (de-ring + de-blocking deinterlacing) which the video image needs to be moved twice between GPU RAM and MB RAM.

Since DXVA input pin is supported in madVR 0.85.x now, the same GPU processing quality can be obtained with reduced GPU loading and I can use Luma Lanczos3 Anti-Ring with most 1280x720, 1440x1080 contents on this GPU.

Even the nVidia old GPU (VP1, VP2 engine) and AMD/ATI HD5xxx (or older series) and Intel old GPU (?) which are not capable of DXVA2 MPEG2_VLD, but only MPEG2_IDCT / MC, it is still able to take advantage of either quality post-processing or performance-optimized MPEG2 video decoding.

For such HW, use Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder to handle MPEG2 video and output decoded image to madVR via DXVA2 path.

Last edited by pie1394; 30th November 2012 at 14:51.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 15:13   #15867  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
It might be that madVR goes to fullscreen before it changes the refresh rate. I found I have no idea how to change the refresh rate manually *after* going to fullscreen to see if that's what's causing it... but it doesn't happen if I just go to fullscreen without a refresh rate change.

edit:
Nevermind haha, found a tool that changes it with a hotkey.
Changing the refresh rate while in fullscreen doesn't cause this. However, if madVR's changer is activated, it will quickly revert the change to whatever madVR wants it to be, which causes the icon to show up again, without even leaving fullscreen.
I also get a weird PAL DVD. I read the log, and somehow it is started with NTSC 720x480 4:3 stream. No wonder why madVR's refresh rate changer logic decides to use 1920x1080i30 mode. But it leaves the full-screen mode when the first video menu comes out.

Yet all video menus and contents are actually PAL 720x576 16:9. I did the verification by playing all individual .vob files and all of them get switched to 1920x1080i25 mode.

madVR - log[DVD_PAL].rar
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 15:42   #15868  |  Link
italospain

Quote:
But SW MPEG-2 decoding sacrifices some MPEG-2 quality enhancement by this nVidia GPU processing.
Can you explain the enhancements exactly.

thanks.
italospain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 16:14   #15869  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
The bars are gone, nice & thanks.

But now I have another problem:
madVR fails to correctly enter FSE if there's a display mode change at the same time when DXVA2 downscaling is selected.
It's reproducible to me. Doesn't happen with other downscale methods.
Can't reproduce that here. Please try again with the next madVR build, maybe something has changed. Maybe not, don't know for sure...
Old 30th November 2012, 16:15   #15870  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I also get a weird PAL DVD. I read the log, and somehow it is started with NTSC 720x480 4:3 stream. No wonder why madVR's refresh rate changer logic decides to use 1920x1080i30 mode. But it leaves the full-screen mode when the first video menu comes out.

Yet all video menus and contents are actually PAL 720x576 16:9. I did the verification by playing all individual .vob files and all of them get switched to 1920x1080i25 mode.
madVR just listens to what the upstream filter says. If that's wrong, it's not madVR's fault.
Old 30th November 2012, 17:01   #15871  |  Link
AndreaMG

@Madshi, don't know if already mentioned but deinterlacing features via shortcut keys are broken.
Regarding the dvd fps issue, correct me if I'm wrong, MadVR is the last in the chain, so if FFdshow Raw Filter shows me the correct result and also Reclock this means that Lav video is telling something wrong to MadVR or could it be Raw Filter out?
AndreaMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 18:05   #15872  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaMG View Post
@Madshi, don't know if already mentioned but deinterlacing features via shortcut keys are broken.
Regarding the dvd fps issue, correct me if I'm wrong, MadVR is the last in the chain, so if FFdshow Raw Filter shows me the correct result and also Reclock this means that Lav video is telling something wrong to MadVR or could it be Raw Filter out?
More details about the deint shortcut keys, please. Don't forget that IVTC (= film mode) won't work when using DXVA decoding.

I don't know which upstream filter is reponsible for the wrong FPS information. You can look at the pin connection information in MPC-HC. The key information is: "AvgTimePerFrame: 417083". You can calculate the FPS from this by doing: "fps = 10000000 / AvgTimePerFrame".
Old 30th November 2012, 18:13   #15873  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
Madshi:
The screen-capture cosmetic glitch happens when when paused (ZP always pauses before taking a screenshot).
For a split-second, whatever was in the frame prior appears. If I just run ZP play a video and press Alt+F, a black screen will appear, but if I open the navigation interfaces that appear on-top of the video and then close the navigation interface, then play a bit of video and take a screenshot, the navigation interface will pop for a split second. It appears like windows that don't get the 'wmpaint' event.
On a quick check I can't seem to reproduce the problem. Does it depend on the decoder? Does it only occur in fullscreen exclusive mode? Or also in windowed mode? Which navigation interface should I open up to reproduce this? Maybe you could create a detailed step-by-step guide to reproduce the problem? Thanks.
Old 30th November 2012, 18:14   #15874  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
With the madVR Luma Lanczos3 + Anti-ring + CUVID, I found the GTX260+ could be overloaded for H.264 1280x720 & MPEG2 HDTV 1440x1080 / 1920x1080 contents displayed at 1920x1080. I need to turn off Luma's anti-ring, or use SW MPEG-2 decoding + processing.
This is really strange. I am too using a GTX 260 in an old system having Pentium D Processor. I also use CUDA for decoding videos. My system is able to handle all kinds of commercially available content with the following settings: chroma upscaling - Jinc 4 taps AR, image upscaling - Jinc 3 taps AR and image downscaling - Catmull Rom AR with Linear Light. My system fails (drop frames) only while playing 1080p 60 fps videos, 4k videos etc. For these files also, it is the hardware decoder which is not able to cope up. Do you have Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering settings in NVIDIA Control Panel not set to "use 3D Application setting"?
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 18:36   #15875  |  Link
dansrfe

You're using a GTX 260? I thought only >= GTX 660 Ti could handle madVR max settings...?
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 18:39   #15876  |  Link
ajp_anton

Could you add a keyboard shortcut for manually activating/deactivating the most appropriate refresh rate for the currently playing video?
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 19:46   #15877  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
You're using a GTX 260? I thought only >= GTX 660 Ti could handle madVR max settings...?
Because you read extreme cases...
Most sources are 24,25 or 30fps. Most ouput are 1080p.
And plenty of GPU can handle Jinc3 easily in these cases. My HD5770 for example, despite not being a "powerful" video card.
Another example: It isn't in comparative anymore, but I can play Crysis 2 without problems with good quality.

But if you take extreme scenarios, you will find 720p 96fps sources, for 1440p output with 3 sharpening filters, 2 denoise, etc.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 20:05   #15878  |  Link
bjd

Quote:
Because you read extreme cases...
Most sources are 24,25 or 30fps. Most ouput are 1080p
..and if you check the footer you will see a 1080p tv listed so I would assume the scaling is actually nearest neighbour (no scaling)
Old 30th November 2012, 20:43   #15879  |  Link
AndreaMG

Quote:
Could you add a keyboard shortcut for manually activating/deactivating the most appropriate refresh rate for the currently playing video?
I use this for everything and works like a charm (give it a try):

http://micromighty.com/Products/Screen_Mode_Switch.aspx
Old 30th November 2012, 21:08   #15880  |  Link
AndreaMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
More details about the deint shortcut keys, please. Don't forget that IVTC (= film mode) won't work when using DXVA decoding.
Sorry, I cannot reproduce it anymore, but last time it showed while playing a dvd (with Lav Video Decoder set to NVIDIA CUVID HW decoding) and trying to manually (via shortcuts keys) toggle either deinterlacing on/off or change the deinterlacing content type, an OSD message appeared that it couldn't be done because... (don't remember...)

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling