Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 10th August 2003, 03:17   #1  |  Link
nuked

separate fields /weave question

Hello. I'm not new at all to ivtc/force-film/deinterlacing issues and I think I understand them all better than average. Now I'm trying to play with the other option... the 50 or 60 fps route. In this area there are a few things I don't know, but I know enough to tell that at least half the stuff I read is wrong or at best not entirely correct, but kinda sorta works anyway. Anyway, I'm gonna start by trying to understand a couple of things before I just ask (How do you do blah?).

The first simple question bugging me which may be of little use anyway is why can I Separatefields() as many times as want and get shorter and shorter images, but afterwards I can only weave() once? I can think of several possible answers, but simce I have very little knowledge of the actual io or header structure of things avisyth I wont bother to start guessing. Particulary though I want to usderstand what things are really still fields and what things have become frames and when. Thanks.
nuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 05:07   #2  |  Link
stickboy
AviSynth Enthusiast

For each clip, Avisynth keeps track if it's frame-based or field-based. If it's frame-based, it means that the clip is either progressive or it's interlaced (both fields are visible in one frame).

If it's field-based, that means each frame represents a different field.

If you call SeparateFields() on a frame-based clip, you get a half-height clip with double the frames that's now field-based. If you call SeparateFields() on a field-based clip, nothing is supposed to happen. (This isn't what actually happens though. I think it's a bug.)

If you call Weave() on a field-based clip, you get back the original, frame-based clip. If you call Weave() on a frame-based clip, nothing happens.

Therefore, if you must call SeparateFields() and Weave() multiple times, the way you're supposed to do it is:
Code:
AVISource("foo.avi")
SeparateFields()
AssumeFrameBased() # this should be required
SeparateFields()

Weave()
AssumeFieldBased()
Weave()
See the documentation to AssumeFrameBased()/AssumeFieldBased(), SeparateFields(), and Weave() for more information.

Last edited by stickboy; 10th August 2003 at 05:13.
stickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 07:29   #3  |  Link
nuked

I was about coming to the conclusion that it was a bug, but wasn't sure I didn't have everything upsidedown. I found the Info() command now which is helping alot with figuring out what everything is doing. Well I probably won't need to do that anyway, but just wanted to make sure I'm understanding how stuff works. Thanks.
nuked is offline   Reply With Quote