Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd October 2015, 13:53   #33861  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
When enabling linear light, I'm using 32bit floating point textures for some processing steps, which consume twice as much RAM as the default format.
If you used 32 bit floating point textures throughout the processing chain, would that affect performance much besides higher RAM usage?
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 17:58   #33862  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Writing a simulator sounds like a lot of work. And it would only make it work for you, but not for other X500 users. Still wondering why the other X500 user had no problems at all, though.
Actually, it turned out to be quite easy, although what I've written so far only simulates the parts that are liable to be accessed by your test tool and by madVR. It's only about 50 lines of code.

I agree, though, that it's not very good as a general solution. If it really became necessary, perhaps a simpler TCPIP interface could be defined.

Quote:
Anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to use a network sniffer like e.g. WireShark to compare how our two tools differ? E.g. in the situation in which my tool doesn't work, you could capture my network traffic, and yours. There should be a noticable difference then.
I didn't think of that (since I don't normally deal with network problems). I'm looking at WireShark and I'll try to use it to investigate the problem further.

Quote:
Or we could also exchange source code for the ip config stuff. Maybe you can see something wrong in my code, or I can see something I've missed in your code?
I was actually going to suggest this. My code is written in Lua and runs under Girder. It's complex enough that even I have to take some time to get up to speed when I've been away from it for a while. So, it may or may not be useful to you to look at it. I do want to limit the distribution of my code to relatively sophisticated users simply because I don't have time to answer questions from others.

That said,if you still want to do this, let me know how we can do it.

Quote:
My tool does wait for a reply when changing lens memories. With my X35 this reply comes with many seconds delay, exactly when the activation of the lens memory has completed. This is very nice because it tells me exactly when the lens memory activation has completed. I'm using that to pause and resume video playback at exactly the right times. Works perfectly here. I suppose maybe the X500 behaves differently there? Would be strange, though, the network protocol is pretty clear about what should be sent by either side...
This I don't understand. My understanding of the protocol is that the only non-ACK responses that it sends are in response to a reference command, i.e. it NEVER sends an un-solicited response (or a response to an operation command other than an ACK response). My understanding is also that the ACK response ONLY indicates successful reception of the command and NEVER successful completion of the command. In addition, the INML command is specifically listed as NOT having a reference form. (And, in any case, I don't see you sending anything but the operation form.)

This is consistent with what I found with my old RS50 (although it didn't have lens memory).

So let me know exactly what you do here and I'll see whether or not it works with the RS4910.

EDIT: I upgraded my JVC simulator and ran another test. (Remember that madVR is only talking to the simulator and not to the JVC.) Here's what happened:

The first time a video is played madVR pauses the video, sends ? PW, receives 'power on", closes the socket, sends ! INML2, closes the socket. The video remains paused until I take action. If I restart the video, madVR does nothing, the video plays normally. If I end Zoomplayer and restart it, the above sequence is repeated.

So, it really looks like madVR is expecting an additional response and I have no idea what that might be. I can find nothing about it in any of the specs that I have access to including that for the x30 and the one for my JVC. This may not be the primary problem, since my JVC (mostly) doesn't respond to the INML2 command at all, but I need to know for further troubleshooting (and I definitely need it in the event that I have to use my simulator as a proxy to make it work).

Last edited by jmonier; 24th October 2015 at 00:36.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 19:45   #33863  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Linear Light practically just means using Gamma 1.0. I suppose its theoretically possible to try to do it at some intermediate Gamma value between 1.0 and 2.2/2.4 or whatever Gamma your video currently has, however if that yields the results you want is another question entirely.
In ISF world, 2.2 is the average value. I think this should be upheld. No wonder image is a little bit dim after some upscaling / downscaling or dithering (Error Diffusion 1)
Old 23rd October 2015, 22:36   #33864  |  Link
Sunset1982

Today my mpc-hc/madvr suddenly always crashes when starting a movie mkv file. After trying a lot I reinstalled my system. Gone from win 8.1 to win10.But the problem still exists even after fresh windows 10 installation.
Tried even more settings and now I find out, that its the DX11 rendering path in madvr what crahes my player. if I deselect it, movie plays fine.

never had problems before. Happens with latest MPC-HC 1.7.9, madvr 0.89.12 and LAV 0.66.0. I also tried 0.89.11 and 0.89.10. Both crashed too.

Was there an windows platform update or something like that which broke my DX 11? Cause I havent updated anything the last days and 2 days ago everything worked fine...

How can I create a crashlog with mpc-hc and madvr?
Old 23rd October 2015, 23:00   #33865  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Was there an windows platform update or something like that which broke my DX 11? Cause I havent updated anything the last days and 2 days ago everything worked fine...
Perform a system restore and find out.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 23:48   #33866  |  Link
clsid

Try with the latest nightly build of MPC-HC. It should show a crash report window.
https://nightly.mpc-hc.org/
Old 24th October 2015, 01:15   #33867  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Because both are very well known. Also Bicubic 50 is just one of several Bicubic options. I could remove Bicubic 50, but then it wouldn't make the settings dialog any simpler. I could remove Catmull-Rom, but it's a name everybody knows.
You could put Catmull into the dropdown menu, like "sharpness: 50 (Catmull-Rom)" ?
Isn't Mitchell-Netravali also just one kind of bicubic? What's the relation between sharpness (and softness in softcubic) and the Avisynth b&c parameters?

Another question:
I get this for a 1280x718 video. What does the first line mean? All black bar stuff is disabled.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 01:37   #33868  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
Win 7 x86+HD2500 / Win 7 x64+HD4000 - with completely disabled madVR processing results of madVR vs EVR in FS are nearly equal. More to say, on first system with DX11 FS Exclusive madVR consumption is lower then EVR FS (21% vs 25% for example).
Same here. But some users (like CiNcH) have different results, for some reason that I don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
P.S. One near question - can we have different paths in FS Exclusive vs other modes? For example DX11 in FS Exclusive and DX9+overlay in other?
Technically possible, but it would make my code even more complicated and more difficult to maintain than it already is. So not very attractive for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
This one is nasty:
http://image1.masterfile.com/getImag...hite-lines.jpg
I think it's clear that gamma correct boosts white lines and linear light black ones (not high enough resolution for a ground truth comparison, unfortunately).
Those low-res line pictures also show strong differences when changing the radius. When upscaling the images with NNEDI3, it seems to filter away the aliasing, which SuperRes of course reintroduces. Now question is, is a radius of 0.66 closest to the source in terms of aliasing?
I could imagine that a less aliased look is mostly preferred, so probably a higher radius would be better as a default setting (e.g. 0.75 or 0.8).
I can't access this image. I'm getting "Referral Denied". Do you have a working link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruya View Post
Yeah, it seems to be an issue with my configuration/DWM not being available. I've reverted to 0.88.1 for the time being and D3D11 is working perfectly now.
If v0.88.1 can do D3D11, then v0.89.12 should be able to, too. So I'm not sure what's going on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
If you used 32 bit floating point textures throughout the processing chain, would that affect performance much besides higher RAM usage?
It's not used throughout the processing chain, but only for those processing steps which need it. It does affect performance a bit, more on older GPUs than on newer GPUs, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Today my mpc-hc/madvr suddenly always crashes when starting a movie mkv file. After trying a lot I reinstalled my system. Gone from win 8.1 to win10.But the problem still exists even after fresh windows 10 installation.
Tried even more settings and now I find out, that its the DX11 rendering path in madvr what crahes my player. if I deselect it, movie plays fine.
You could try reinstalling the GPU drivers or installing a different version. Not sure what else it could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I didn't think of that (since I don't normally deal with network problems). I'm looking at WireShark and I'll try to use it to investigate the problem further.
Great - thanks!

Quote:
I was actually going to suggest this. My code is written in Lua and runs under Girder. It's complex enough that even I have to take some time to get up to speed when I've been away from it for a while. So, it may or may not be useful to you to look at it. I do want to limit the distribution of my code to relatively sophisticated users simply because I don't have time to answer questions from others.

That said,if you still want to do this, let me know how we can do it.
Please contact me at madshi (at) gmail (dot) com.

Quote:
This I don't understand. My understanding of the protocol is that the only non-ACK responses that it sends are in response to a reference command, i.e. it NEVER sends an un-solicited response (or a response to an operation command other than an ACK response). My understanding is also that the ACK response ONLY indicates successful reception of the command and NEVER successful completion of the command. In addition, the INML command is specifically listed as NOT having a reference form. (And, in any case, I don't see you sending anything but the operation form.)
Not sure what you mean with "reference" vs "operation" form. I can't find the word "reference" at all in the PDF I've been working with. My protocol implementation is based on this PDF, which is the newest I could find:

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/supp...ntrolGuide.pdf

Look at the bottom of page 22. It reads there:

> Looking at this as a timeline, using the same
> numbered steps as above, the sequence is:
> [...]
> Step 5: Command from Controller to Projector
> [...]
> Assuming the steps shown above are carried
> out correctly, the projector will respond to the
> command.

This clearly shows that the projector responds to *every* command. And my X35 definitely does.

On page 15 it's even clearer:

> The projector will return an Acknowledgement
> Response Return Code for any valid command
> that it receives.

My code waits for this reply from the projector, with a timeout of 5 seconds (meaning I abort waiting for the reply after 5 seconds). Except when activating a lens memory. In that case I've increased the timeout to 30 seconds. And my X35 replies to the lens memory command after about 15-20 seconds, exactly at the moment when the lens memory activation was fully completed. Which allows me to resume video playback exactly at the right time.

Quote:
The first time a video is played madVR pauses the video, sends ? PW, receives 'power on", closes the socket, sends ! INML2, closes the socket.
Are you totally sure madVR closes the socket directly after sending the lens memory activation command? It should not close the socket before either the timeout value of 30 seconds has passed, or before a reply from the projector has arrived.

Quote:
The video remains paused until I take action. If I restart the video, madVR does nothing, the video plays normally. If I end Zoomplayer and restart it, the above sequence is repeated.
Restarting the video will not do anything because madVR remembers that this specific lens memory was already activated. So why should madVR activate it another time? That would be superfluous. madVR will only activate a lens memory if it's different to the one activated before - and it will delay activating the new different lens memory until either the timeout value of 30 seconds has passed, or until the projector replied to the older lens memory activation. Basically madVR tries its best to be clever about lens memory activation, to avoid unnecessary activations, and to not crash the projector by sending lens memory activation commands too quickly. Makes sense, don't you think?

My other X500 tester reported to me that if we torture the X500 by sending lens memory activation commands too quickly, without waiting for completion of the old command, the X500 will sometimes crash and require a cold boot to be accessible at all, anymore. So I'm very careful to not crash the JVC.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 01:40   #33869  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
You could put Catmull into the dropdown menu, like "sharpness: 50 (Catmull-Rom)" ?
Isn't Mitchell-Netravali also just one kind of bicubic? What's the relation between sharpness (and softness in softcubic) and the Avisynth b&c parameters?
I guess I could do that, but I don't find it very important right now. At some point I'm going to cleanup the whole settings dialog. That would then be a good time to optimize stuff away. Right now I consider that very low priority.

Mitchell-Netravali and SoftCubic use cubic kernels, too, but with different parameters to Bicubic. I don't know AviSynth b&c params.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
I get this for a 1280x718 video. What does the first line mean? All black bar stuff is disabled.
It seems 2 pixels are cropped away for some reason. I'm not sure why. I can investigate if you send me a sample, and a list of which filters/software you use for playback.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 01:54   #33870  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Mitchell-Netravali and SoftCubic use cubic kernels, too, but with different parameters to Bicubic. I don't know AviSynth b&c params.
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/filter/#cubics
Old 24th October 2015, 02:04   #33871  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
It seems 2 pixels are cropped away for some reason. I'm not sure why. I can investigate if you send me a sample, and a list of which filters/software you use for playback.
Easiest sample ever: create a 1280x718 blank video with Avisynth and encode =).
http://s.ajpanton.se/sample.mkv
LAV decoder, hardware or software doesn't matter. MPC-HC. Windows 10. Everything 64-bit.
Old 24th October 2015, 02:09   #33872  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Really liking the "crop black bars" option. It's useful for films and TV shows, especially older ones that don't fill the screen entirely. I don't zoom as I don't like losing any content at all.

For example, The Sopranos on blu-ray. The first 2 seasons have inconsistent black borders on the left side of some episodes, and the setting crops it out and scales the image. Great!

Also great for watching old 4:3 DVD episodes of Batman: The Animated Series. Some episodes have black borders and having them cropped out is great. Difference of a few pixels, and it's upscaling to 1440p anyway.

The best use of the feature so far has been to correct a mastering error for Hell on Wheels Season 2. Some episodes had very strange framing. I thought my purchase was defective, but it seems they all have it.

Example here -> http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hell-O...Blu-ray/58683/

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 25th October 2015 at 06:48.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 02:12   #33873  |  Link
Dogway

Thanks for runtime. Unless I got it wrong, it's not working for me.
Code:
if (runtime < 15) "Short"
else              "Long"
I'm using a bit older version of MPC-HC, so not sure if that has to do with that.
it also happens that whenever I try to write something into the "Display Modes" profile rules, I get out of the settings panel to the one above...

@ajp_anton: Bicubic kernels can use a implementation with two components, the b and c. I already suggested months ago to get rid of all the bicubic presets and just say "bicubic" and enable the "b" and "c". Once you start arguing between lanczos, spline and taps you already are in the place where you should know about bicubics and the different values (Hermite, Rubidoux, CatRom, etc)
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 05:44   #33874  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
I don't fully understand what you mean.
Do I have to watch a video as a test pattern or can it be a still (paused film)? I remember the ytp patterns being in motion or swirling or something like that.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 07:46   #33875  |  Link
Sunset1982

OK, found the solution to my D3D11 crashes...

reinstalled nvidia drivers -> worked

setup stereoscopic 3D in the nv control panel -> crashes till I newly installed nvidia drivers and keep stereoscopic 3D disabled.

So the problem is mpc-hc/madvr/lav/d3d11 keeps crashing when stereoscopic 3D was setup before.Can anyone reproduce this? I dont know if this is madvr related bug or bad drivers or even mpc-hc.

tested with nv dirvers 358.50 and 355.98. I also tried latest nightly of mpc-hc and lav filters, same crashes.

After I setup 3D in the drivers I can only view flawless with D3D9 render path in madvr activated.
Old 24th October 2015, 08:27   #33876  |  Link
CiNcH

Here is another attempt to compare EVR and madVR (DXVA) performance and find out why madVR uses so much more resources on my machine.

Windows 7 (x86) SP1 + Platform Update (KB2670838)
- Aero/DWM enabled
Intel HD 4000 Graphics
- drv 15.33.39.4276-win32
- BIOS: Fixed Memory=64M, Total Memory=256M
madVR 0.89.12
- restored default settings
- DXVA chroma/luma down/upscaling
- trust DXVA color & levels conversion
- dithering: None
LAV Filters 0.66 (dxva2n)

720p50 (ORF 1 HD, H.264) @ 1080p50 (no deinterlacing)

EVR: 26% @ ~350MHz, 59°C, 2.6W, 46M Dedicated Memory, 155M Dynamic Memory
madVR (FSE): 55% @ ~650MHz, 61°C, 5.1W, 63M Dedicated Memory, 289M Dynamic Memory

1080i25 (Sky Cinema HD, H.264) @ 1080p50 (no luma scaling, frame doubling deinterlacing)

EVR: 30% @ ~350MHz, 59°C, 2.7W, 64M Dedicated Memory, 196M Dynamic Memory
madVR (FSE): 61% @ ~650MHz, 61°C, 5.8W, 63M Dedicated Memory, 304M Dynamic Memory

Seems like the Windows 7 Platform Update has already been installed on my system via Windows Update.

I already tried to increase GPU memory in the BIOS. But it did not change a thing.

I used GPU-Z 0.8.5 as measurement tool.

Last edited by CiNcH; 24th October 2015 at 12:08.
CiNcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 11:48   #33877  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
I can't access this image. I'm getting "Referral Denied". Do you have a working link?
http://abload.de/img/618-01245035em-wave-otmjta.jpg
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 13:08   #33878  |  Link
markanini

Any chance of ivtc functionality being extrended to include something like TDecimate(hybrid=1)?
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 14:40   #33879  |  Link
Ruya

Quote:
If v0.88.1 can do D3D11, then v0.89.12 should be able to, too. So I'm not sure what's going on there.
According to the changelog, after v0.88.1 D3D11 is not used if DWM is disabled. (Hence why I chose this version to revert to)

D3D11 isn't working in windowed mode, which is to be expected with DWM disabled, but full-screen exclusive mode is working perfectly.

It would be nice if this could somehow be changed so that I can have D3D9 when windowed and still use D3D11 in fullscreen, but I don't use windowed mode very often so for the time being I'm fine with editing the settings whenever I need windowed mode.

I haven't yet run into any major complications with v0.88.1
Ruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 14:54   #33880  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Not sure what you mean with "reference" vs "operation" form. I can't find the word "reference" at all in the PDF I've been working with. My protocol implementation is based on this PDF, which is the newest I could find:

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/supp...ntrolGuide.pdf

Look at the bottom of page 22. It reads there:

> Looking at this as a timeline, using the same
> numbered steps as above, the sequence is:
> [...]
> Step 5: Command from Controller to Projector
> [...]
> Assuming the steps shown above are carried
> out correctly, the projector will respond to the
> command.

This clearly shows that the projector responds to *every* command. And my X35 definitely does.

On page 15 it's even clearer:

> The projector will return an Acknowledgement
> Response Return Code for any valid command
> that it receives.
And all this is exactly what I said. The confusion is in nomenclature. The document that you reference is semi-official (it comes from a JVC guy in Great Britain). That particular version is rather sloppy. To see the correct nomenclature refer to the "External Control" section of your user manual. That's what I used for my basic logic (since nothing else was available or needed for my RS-50).

My confusion comes from the user manual statement under the "ACK" type that it "returns to PC after the command is accepted without error". I assumed that to mean that it was not an acknowledgement that the command was actually executed (which may have been true for the RS50).

Apparently, from what you say, it IS an indication that the command was executed and I'll have to change my thinking.

Quote:
My code waits for this reply from the projector, with a timeout of 5 seconds (meaning I abort waiting for the reply after 5 seconds). Except when activating a lens memory. In that case I've increased the timeout to 30 seconds. And my X35 replies to the lens memory command after about 15-20 seconds, exactly at the moment when the lens memory activation was fully completed. Which allows me to resume video playback exactly at the right time.
Please verify that the reply you're talking about is the ACK (06) reply and not the "Response Command" (40).

Quote:
Are you totally sure madVR closes the socket directly after sending the lens memory activation command? It should not close the socket before either the timeout value of 30 seconds has passed, or before a reply from the projector has arrived.
I didn't state that too well. It was actually closing after it received the ACK reply, which I was sending immediately after I received the command.

Quote:
Restarting the video will not do anything because madVR remembers that this specific lens memory was already activated. So why should madVR activate it another time? That would be superfluous. madVR will only activate a lens memory if it's different to the one activated before - and it will delay activating the new different lens memory until either the timeout value of 30 seconds has passed, or until the projector replied to the older lens memory activation. Basically madVR tries its best to be clever about lens memory activation, to avoid unnecessary activations, and to not crash the projector by sending lens memory activation commands too quickly. Makes sense, don't you think?
It doesn't make sense if I've changed the memory back after the video stops playing (since menus, etc. need a 16:9 screen). Then it thinks that the zoom is still at 2.35 and won't change it for the next 2.35 video.

Do you do anything special for this case?
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling