Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th September 2019, 11:24   #57361  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
One thing is clear from the latest HDR test build release notes and bug that appeared....the Envy IS running madvr...at least, a code path within it. Because the release notes mention this and the bug he had to fix was because of some Envy code.
@ Madshi.
When I try to play a file with build 87 my TV turns black and then reports no input signal !! After turning off and on the TV MPC-BE has loaded the file but with wrong refresh rates, etc.
Build 86 works perfectly fine.
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 11:47   #57362  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsdyke View Post
@ Madshi.
Reply in the AVSforum thread.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 12:20   #57363  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yeah you won't get a response to test build issues here. You should post any issues you have with them in the proper thread on avsforum. You may want to try downloading it again and see if that helps though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 12th September 2019, 12:48   #57364  |  Link
thighhighs

QBhd
Just curious, what other settings used? What dithering, any image enhancements?
What happens if you set HDR to let madVR decide?
What happens with fast chroma upscaling algo like bicubic?
Also is there any reasons why you prefer FSE instead of FSW?
I belive 8350/270x is suitable for 23fps HDR. And for 1080@23 -> 2160 too.
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 15:23   #57365  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Just to be clear... Everything works, I just want to figure out why. It makes no sense. High bitrate 4k HDR should he a slideshow with the settings I am using. I hate not being able to figure something out.

For some reason Windowed mode does not work as well as FSE so it's what I use.

Letting madVR decide for HDR won't work since Windows and I think madVR both don't recognize the GPU as being HDR capable... But I haven't really tried that since passthrough and tonemapping both work.

Ordered dithering, no enhancements.
My settings are not super crazy, but they should be swamping my system with a 4k UHD HDR bluray remux.

Any ideas on why this IS working?

QB

Last edited by QBhd; 12th September 2019 at 15:34.
QBhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 17:55   #57366  |  Link
tp4tissue

If it's decided that Envy should use an Nvidia Gpu,

They might as well release Madvr as a PC KIT, some sort of HDMI pcie input card,you can stamp these out by the thousands.

Then have a PAID Madvr software version on desktop, compatible with ALL GPUS, Why make it a standalone device, it sounds like a good idea if you got a completely different hardware branch, But if it's gonna be Nvidia GPU, Madvr is already right here working all dandy like. ..

Keep it simple..

Turn the PC into a receiver.. that's fine.. and we won't require a second $2000 for a Specialized device, which does the same thing, but is less versatile.

The majority of people don't even have a living room anymore, they just sit in their rooms with a tv hooked up to PC>

The living room is dead, <let's build more living room devices ?>

Last edited by tp4tissue; 12th September 2019 at 18:00.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 19:36   #57367  |  Link
thighhighs

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
My settings are not super crazy, but they should be swamping my system with a 4k UHD HDR bluray remux.
I see 90% GPU load on your screenshots

Looks like 1080p and 720p upscaling more demanding for your GPU than native 4K resolution playback.
On my experience (fx8350 ex-user) this CPU can decode 4k remux very fine with LAV Video. But I'm not sure about your GPU. What exactly mean "bigger Present queues work with 4k but not work well with 1080p upscaled to 4k"? VRAM limitation?
For example, NGU doubling/quadrupling increases the vram usage. As i remember i used bicubic chroma and med or low NGU luma with my 2gb nvidia GPU for good performance.
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 19:45   #57368  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Yeah. I go above and beyond VRAM, but it still plays smooth without dropped frames. I want to figure out how this is possible.

And no, upscaling is not more demanding with the same settings.

I don't have a problem. I have a puzzle. Why do I have no dropped frames even though the GPU is constantly running out of VRAM.

QB
Old 12th September 2019, 20:22   #57369  |  Link
el Filou

The render queue is very big (1 full second of playback), maybe this is masking the latency of using system RAM as a crutch and the rendering jitter that would result from that (that 120 ms max render time stat is frightening).
Present queue should in theory not be influenced by the rendering load, it's just there to compensate random delays that could occur at the critical time when frames need to be displayed. So you're saying if you lower it to 6 or 4, playback is less smooth?
The fact you said playback would initially turn into a slideshow with high bitrates scenes would point to decoding as the bottleneck, so in theory just upping the decoding queue should be the only thing needed. Did you try with a big decoding queue but a normal rendering/presenting?

I have given up trying to understand how the older Radeons like yours or mine work with madVR, I have seen all kinds of weird behaviour with it, sometimes bringing up the UI or pausing or seeking back completely screws up rendering times on my desktop until I pause or seek again. Sometimes it drops a frame even though the GPU is only at 60-65% reported load. I have tried all combination of Radeon control panel and madVR settings to no avail.
Old 12th September 2019, 20:44   #57370  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
The render queue is very big (1 full second of playback), maybe this is masking the latency of using system RAM as a crutch and the rendering jitter that would result from that (that 120 ms max render time stat is frightening).
Present queue should in theory not be influenced by the rendering load, it's just there to compensate random delays that could occur at the critical time when frames need to be displayed. So you're saying if you lower it to 6 or 4, playback is less smooth?
The fact you said playback would initially turn into a slideshow with high bitrates scenes would point to decoding as the bottleneck, so in theory just upping the decoding queue should be the only thing needed. Did you try with a big decoding queue but a normal rendering/presenting?

I have given up trying to understand how the older Radeons like yours or mine work with madVR, I have seen all kinds of weird behaviour with it, sometimes bringing up the UI or pausing or seeking back completely screws up rendering times on my desktop until I pause or seek again. Sometimes it drops a frame even though the GPU is only at 60-65% reported load. I have tried all combination of Radeon control panel and madVR settings to no avail.
it's probably just downclocking and then dropping, then upclock

locking powerstate in afterburner works for that.
Old 12th September 2019, 22:44   #57371  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
If it's decided that Envy should use an Nvidia Gpu,

They might as well release Madvr as a PC KIT, some sort of HDMI pcie input card,you can stamp these out by the thousands.

Then have a PAID Madvr software version on desktop, compatible with ALL GPUS, Why make it a standalone device, it sounds like a good idea if you got a completely different hardware branch, But if it's gonna be Nvidia GPU, Madvr is already right here working all dandy like. ..

Keep it simple..

Turn the PC into a receiver.. that's fine.. and we won't require a second $2000 for a Specialized device, which does the same thing, but is less versatile.

The majority of people don't even have a living room anymore, they just sit in their rooms with a tv hooked up to PC>

The living room is dead, <let's build more living room devices ?>
Except you can't. Because your nifty little capture card won't be HDCP compliant like the Envy. Which is the whole point to be able to plug any consumer device into it. Can you jump through some hoops to strip HDCP from your sources? Maybe. Keeping 4K HDR? Again, maybe. But thus is the problem. Envy is a *LICENSED* HDCP compliant product.
Old 12th September 2019, 23:36   #57372  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post

I tried many many different queue sizes and combinations. CPU queue too high was no good, GPU queue low and CPU high was no good. It was a lot of trial and error and finally settled on the 48/24/8 queue sizes (render queue of 16 was best, but that totally messed up 720p and 1080p playback... 8 is okay for all)

I just checked with AIDA64... my RAM latency is around the 60 ns mark... that's really low isn't it? Does that help when it needs to bail out the VRAM? (WOW I did not notice the 120 ms max stat! yikes!)

As for weird things with pauses/seeks on our cards, I do notice it more with render queue at 8... I never had issues with it at 4. But that is the tradeoff for me to get zero dropped frames for the 4k HDR stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
it's probably just downclocking and then dropping, then upclock

locking powerstate in afterburner works for that.
No my card never down clocks.

QB
Old 13th September 2019, 01:21   #57373  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Except you can't. Because your nifty little capture card won't be HDCP compliant like the Envy. Which is the whole point to be able to plug any consumer device into it. Can you jump through some hoops to strip HDCP from your sources? Maybe. Keeping 4K HDR? Again, maybe. But thus is the problem. Envy is a *LICENSED* HDCP compliant product.
I don't see any hurdles here, if the group is already confident in building a Completely seperate device that is hdcp compliant,

NOW, all they need to do is build HALF of it for the PC Kit.
Old 13th September 2019, 01:27   #57374  |  Link
SamuriHL

We already have it. My 2070 sits just above the specs for the base Envy's GPU and obviously lower than the 2080ti. While it would be nice to be able to "madvr-ify" any source, I'm happy with my HTPC right now. What would be GREAT is if the pro version of madvr would include some of the tensor core algorithms he's currently developing. madshi said this is the reason he's been *HEAVILY* hinting that people looking at new cards should go RTX. This isn't to say the AMD cards won't benefit, but, if he really does make the tensor core stuff available to us HTPC users, very exciting times are coming.

Don't get me wrong, I've been contemplating a capture card myself for 4K HDR sources, but, 1) it won't be real time like the Envy, and 2) There's likely some limitations around audio capture which has nothing at all to do with madvr. Wouldn't be as nice as an Envy, but, still beneficial IMO.
Old 13th September 2019, 14:59   #57375  |  Link
sucht

Quote:
What would be GREAT is if the pro version of madvr would include some of the tensor core algorithms he's currently developing. madshi said this is the reason he's been *HEAVILY* hinting that people looking at new cards should go RTX.
it shouldn't just be the "pro" version of madVR that gets the tensor core treatment.

anyways...
the "best" "pro" version should not cost more than 25-30 bucks for a Lifetime license.
otherwise he wont make much money with madVR, because people wont buy it or pirate/crack it.
(just my 2 cents)
sucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2019, 15:28   #57376  |  Link
SamuriHL

So you're suggesting that all the work madshi has put in to this product is only worth "25-30 bucks for a lifetime license" to you? I would disagree with that assertion. Many of us have been asking for a donation link to give him far more than that to show our appreciation. He's consistently said wait for the pro version. If you're not willing to pay for a pro version, then the free version will always be available according to madshi.
Old 13th September 2019, 16:17   #57377  |  Link
okc_smoker

Has madshi ever addressed whether the Pro version will lock current features behind a pay wall? Or will the Pro version just add as-yet-unreleased functionality? FWIW, I plan on buying the Pro version either way. Just curious...
Old 13th September 2019, 17:10   #57378  |  Link
SamuriHL

No, he hasn't said ANYTHING about what a "pro" version would entail or how it would be different from the free version. Only that a pro version is planned "soon(ish)" <-- his word. I would very much be interested in a pro version myself, if only to support the man who has brought such an amazing video experience to us all.
Old 13th September 2019, 17:40   #57379  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
No, he hasn't said ANYTHING about what a "pro" version would entail or how it would be different from the free version. Only that a pro version is planned "soon(ish)" <-- his word. I would very much be interested in a pro version myself, if only to support the man who has brought such an amazing video experience to us all.
While madshi his given generously, it's important to remember that madVR (and Envy) would not be what it is without the hugely supportive community here, with many users exhaustively testing every new feature, enabling madshi to refine madVR to what it is today.

I would also be very interested in a pro version and quite happy to pay for it.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2019, 17:50   #57380  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yes, of course it's been a very large community effort to get madvr where it is today! Look at the dynamic tone mapping testing that's going on now. But for all the community effort that's gone into giving madshi feedback, ultimately until now it's only been him developing it. But the community....that's why he's insisting that there is always going to be a free version of madvr going forward. I can imagine the pro version to be more refined in what it offers and how it offers it. Closer (but not identical) to the Envy experience except on an HTPC. That's just my own guesswork. We shall see what his plans are. I'm ready to support it by buying a license for Pro.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling