Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th January 2010, 01:45   #1  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Fusion - pyramidal image processing for video [experimental]

Even more updated!

The latest version (a rewrite which only implements fuse and fusemask) is at http://horman.net/fusion.zip

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Updated: see here

This is Fusion, a set (if you can call "two" a set) of filters that use image pyramids to blend clips together (more commonly used in the creation of HDR images and image stitching).

I'm not sure it's all that useful for video, but I've written the library now and AviSynth seemed like an interesting way to play with it. As opposed to a normal mix of clips with a mask, the filter fuse(clip1,clip2,mask) will "decompose" frames with a high pass filter, making a stack of different levels of detail. These levels are then blended separately before being recomposed into a final image.

A picture paints a thousand words, so:

On the left is a "naive" blend with a widely feathered mask. Notice that the stalk is semi-transparent, and the feather line is a little textureless. With multi-level blending, on the right (as output by fuse) textures are preserved and the blending of underlying colour is much wider, yet still preserves features such as the stalk. It fudges up the background - not sure what that's about but I suspect it's just way it works.

A possibly more useful application than creating hybrid fruit is in boosting the levels of underexposed video:

The mask is a threshold of a blurred copy of the brightened image (top right), and fuse uses this to blend the two different exposures without (or at least, with very little) haloing.

The two filters in the current .dll are:

Code:
# NB: all input clips must be RGB32

fuse(clip1, clip2, mask)
# mask should be black/white only, unless extra blending of fine details is required
# in the mask, black represents clip1, white represents clip2

undersharpen(image, level, amount)
# this will sharpen/blur only one level of an image
# level=0 is the top level, i.e. finest detail
# useful values for amount range from -0.33 to +1.00
undersharpen doesn't seem to do anything very useful, but I didn't know that when I wrote it so I've left it in.

I'm not yet sure what other applications image fusion may have with video, so if you know of any please let me know and I'll try to implement them. There might (or might not) be good reasons to try extending this to include the temporal dimension...

David

Last edited by wonkey_monkey; 24th November 2014 at 19:15.
wonkey_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote