Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th November 2008, 20:57   #1  |  Link
MonsterMaxx

What's the latest path from DVD->AVI?

I've been converting my DVDs for some time now and have my full collection on drive in AVI form. Much easier than hunting thru boxes and having to wade thru previews.

Up until now I've been using Decryptor and AutoGK to handle this.

Unfortunately with the demise of Decryptor and new protection schemes this method is no longer as easy as it used to be. Sometimes DVDs refuse to rip and half the time the ones that do I have to jack around trying to get the audio stream in sync which is a real PITA.

So, after reading thru several pages of threads I'm not seeing a clear solution like I used to have. Is there one? Is there a 'free' solution or is it pay?

Your assistance would be most appreciated.

note: I'm not asking for help in any illegal ripping of DVDs, just legal backing up of mine to a hard drive so I don't have to hunt thru boxes.
MonsterMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 21:18   #2  |  Link
jmartinr

I recommend the combination of DVDFab HD Decrypter and MeGUI. They are both kept well up to date.
jmartinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 00:44   #3  |  Link
linyx
Un-Registered User

Here is another vote for DVDFab. For conversion i would suggest StaxRip, or possibly MeGUI (it is designed for advanced users). A complete list of encoder GUIs can be found here.
linyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 05:36   #4  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

Thanks to this thread I'm downloading DVDFab to try. Always up for new and exciting adventures. However......
If you're used to using DVD Decryptor then try RipIt4Me. It's no longer developed either but still more up to date than DVD Decryptor, and it was designed to use DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink for the actual ripping work. I like using it because it rips DVDs to my hard drive with the two tools I'm familiar with, plus I don't think I've hit a DVD yet it wouldn't rip.

If you already have DVD Decryptor installed then you've possibly already got DVD Shrink installed too, so adding RipIt4Me won't take much work. You can find it with Google quite easily.
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 02:20   #5  |  Link
MonsterMaxx

I did a recent one that was giving me greif on the audio sync with dvdfab and autogk and it worked this time.

Now I find out that agk had been discontinued too. Ugh.

MeGUI seems like it doesn't do avi?
Old 2nd December 2008, 02:32   #6  |  Link
linyx
Un-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx View Post
I did a recent one that was giving me greif on the audio sync with dvdfab and autogk and it worked this time.

Now I find out that agk had been discontinued too. Ugh.

MeGUI seems like it doesn't do avi?
Nope, autogk has not been discontinued. len0x is going to do a few updates this winter on it. Avi is a container format, most anything can be put in it, so i am going to assume you mean divx/xvid which MeGui can do.
linyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 04:02   #7  |  Link
MonsterMaxx

my bad, yes, I meant divx