Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 15th December 2019, 13:24   #23701  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier C. View Post
I personnaly use Jriver for audio only. I much prefer Kodi for TV shows and movies : 3d cases, animated posters, cinéma experience, sagas, scrapping, flexibility, look and feel, widgets like imdb top 250 and so on. As a french guy, I had to wait until Jriver 24 for multi language scrapping. TV shows posters are not scrapped in my native language but in english. A shame for a paid software.

I asked many times the Jriver team on the feature request post (forums) to use the mouse wheel for volume control but they don't want their users to use their mouses like they want. Too bad for a so simple thing. They are very nice for asking me every year to pay in avance a license for the next release without the possibility to ask a so simple parameter.

In fact, I would much prefer paying nevcareil or someone else for integrating blu Ray menus in MPC-HC rather than paying a 26th license to the Jriver team. Good developpers need to be supported and motivated.
I like MPC-HC and lav filters for mkv but it lacks some features for blu rays.

Just my personnal opinion
I don’t use jRiver as a front end as it wouldn’t meet my needs either for my Movie collection. I only use it as an external player for BD / UHD BD Menus.

I don’t know if Kodi supports external players, I don’t use it.

I use MyMovies, and used to use that front end in MCE, now I only use MyMovies for the collection management and I use CMC as a front-end, as it integrates tightly with MyMovies and provides what I need as a front end for a 3000+ movie and TV Show collection.

I asked the developer of CMC to add support for jRiver and many other things in the last few months, he is extremely responsive and it’s a pleasure to suggest new features and see them implemented. The software has made incredible progress in just a few months, and the cost is very reasonable.

CMC was 70% there when I started using it less than a year ago, it’s now 90% there. The main features still needed to catch up with what is possible with MyMovies under MCE are lights control and WOL for the servers, and it will have all I need that jRiver as a front-end couldn’t deliver. Still, jRiver is the best player for my needs, and the price is entirely justified in my view for “just” a player if the front end doesn’t suit you.

If you already have jRiver, I would investigate getting it supported by KODI as an external player or taking a look at CMC (Chameleon Media Centre) with MyMovies.

Sorry for the slight off topic, let’s get back to LAV
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2019, 14:12   #23702  |  Link
Olivier C.

I will try Jriver as an external player in KODI. Thanks for your advice Manni.
Olivier C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2019, 15:48   #23703  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

@ Olivier
Thanks for sharing the disc. It seems all streams available in both editions, but you are right, the french/spanish sound is sometimes silent(different to the extended edition).
Technical there is no problem to mux this BD with chapterEditor to a multi-edition-mkv.
Matroska has a feature which uses TrackUIDs per chapter, but this is not supported in LAV-Splitter.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2019, 01:48   #23704  |  Link
Olivier C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
@ Olivier
Thanks for sharing the disc. It seems all streams available in both editions, but you are right, the french/spanish sound is sometimes silent(different to the extended edition).
Technical there is no problem to mux this BD with chapterEditor to a multi-edition-mkv.
Matroska has a feature which uses TrackUIDs per chapter, but this is not supported in LAV-Splitter.
Thanks for your feedback hubblec4.
Old 16th December 2019, 03:41   #23705  |  Link
Olivier C.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2

These Blu-rays contain Making-Of, commentaries (i.e. the longest playlist on each BD, i.e. 00200.MPLS).
LAV can not deliver any sound in french (my native language), german, dutch, and italian.
Old 16th December 2019, 04:58   #23706  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2

These Blu-rays contain Making-Of, commentaries (i.e. the longest playlist on each BD, i.e. 00200.MPLS).
LAV can not deliver any sound in french (my native language), german, dutch, and italian.
Can you send PM "copy" of this BD.
Old 16th December 2019, 13:43   #23707  |  Link
Olivier C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
Can you send PM "copy" of this BD.
It's done
Old 18th December 2019, 16:46   #23708  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

I have a (verified) user report about LAV being extremely slow to seek in certain matrsoka files while Win10's "Movies and TV" app seeks fine, here is the full report:
-------
Long time registered user of Zoom Player, but new to OBS and streaming in general. To try and keep this short, I've been recording with OBS Studio (v24.0.3 x64) into MKV files. When I attempt to play the files in Zoom Player (14.5 Max 1450) they will start perfectly fine and play perfectly fine but when I attempt to seek into the file it will take some time to start playing again. If I seek towards the beginning it's somewhat minimal, but increases drastically (exponentially?) if I try to seek further into a larger / longer file. It will also happen if I alter the window size or jump into/out of fullscreen mode. This happens when encoded with H264 or H265, and I've tried different renderers in ZP (MadVR, ENV) to no avail. When I play the same files with the baked-in Win 10 "Movies and TV" app it seeks without any sort of delay no matter what time I jump to in the video. Sad panda.

One important note that may be (very) relevant - I'm encoding on an AMD RX580 utilizing AMF (obs-amd-encoder-2.6.0.0) so these videos lack B-Frames as described here (https://github.com/obsproject/obs-am...#AVCSVC_H264-5). It doesn't specifically mention that H265 lacks B-Frames under the "HEVC (H265)" heading but when I analysed an H265 video with ffprobe is does specify "has_b_frames=0" so I assume neither encoder generates them.

I made an hour+ video of only black and silence, and the issue definitely remains. As you will (hopefully) see the delay becomes much more prevalent the further into the video you attempt to seek.
-------

Here is the sample file:
https://inmatrix.com/temp/AMD_RX580_B-Frame_Test.rar
Old 18th December 2019, 19:12   #23709  |  Link
huhn

this file seeks "instantly" on my system using 64 bit mpc-hc and madVR.
i use madVR decoder queue as an indicator because it is a blank video.
tested with software and d3d11 using an 1060.

feel free to say him polaris can't encode HEVC with B frames is a well known fact.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2019, 19:36   #23710  |  Link
el Filou

On my system it seeks instantly with MPC-HC (32-bit), but with MediaPortal (also 32-bit) I have the same issue as Blight, which is strange as both are using the latest LAV nightly's with Splitter Source as well as decoders (tested with software and DXVA2 cb).
However, I've noticed another issue: with both players it takes a very long time to stop playback, especially with MPC-HC where it gets wrose the more you've seek during playback and can take up to 150 seconds with very high CPU usage by the player process.
I found that remuxing the file with MKVToolNix and removing the 3 tag tracks that are present (no idea what they're for) fixes this second problem with MPC-HC, but not the seeking problem with MediaPortal.
Old 18th December 2019, 20:24   #23711  |  Link
huhn

i can confirm the closing issue only visible in the task manager.
one core is 100 % for at least 10 sec+.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2019, 23:00   #23712  |  Link
Pat357

I had the same very slow seek with both MPC-HC & MPC-BE configured to use LAV. It took >5 sec to seek from start to 75% from the file.
Was very disturbing.
Then I changed an option in MPC-HC player under Options -> Tweaks -> fast seek (keyframes), enabled this option and seeking is almost perfect.
So, I guess the issue is not LAVfilters, but an option in the player to allow the use of keyframes for seeking.
Does ZP have such option ?

Note : with the MPV player, I have quick seeking, but the player reports something interesting :
Code:
[mkv] This is a broken file! Packets with incorrect keyframe flag found. Enabling workaround.

Last edited by Pat357; 18th December 2019 at 23:20.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2019, 08:53   #23713  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The file is broken, because it doesn't flag any audio frames as keyframes, which in an AAC stream like this one, every single one should be. Whichever software wrote it is broken (the metadata of the file says it was written by libavformat from ffmpeg, so presumably whichever app feeds libavformat forgot to set the keyframe flag).
Regardless, I've added a workaround specifically for such files, similar to what mpv does, and simply assume that audio always has keyframes. So it should work now.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 19th December 2019 at 14:42.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2019, 18:22   #23714  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Thanks nev, I asked the person reporting this issue to pass along your findings so it can also be fixed at the source.
Old 30th December 2019, 23:03   #23715  |  Link
zerowalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Try to remultiplex the file to a new MKV with MKVToolnix or ffmpeg; if the problem persists, it's more probably the content for this file.

Anyway, different media players may use differently robust techniques (one may fail in case of issues where another may be able to skip). If you use LAV Filters with a generic media player, the DirectShow API may be the culprit; MPC-HC (and probably MPC-BE too) uses LAV Filters with another native API. And VLC uses the same core libraries but with an own "playback engine".
Muxing it with ffmpeg works, which is the odd thing cause it's made by ffmpeg to begin with (it's from OBS, so ffmpeg is used programatically somehow).

Yeah get that they can bruteforce, but i would like to know what is wrong, if it's actually right ant the mediaplayers are wrong, or vice versa.

I will give a random sample that has the issue, it won't be really detectable cause of it's size, but it might help see what is wrong.

EDIT:

Here's a link to it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zp...MOQ8dsAyH3sEjQ
zerowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 23:24   #23716  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Looks it's exactly the same problem as reported by Blight in post #23750 (which nevcairiel added a workaround for in the recent nightly). So the file is broken. You can see the difference in MKVToolNix GUI's Info Tool (in the clusters you see that no AAC frame is marked as key frame in the original as opposed to a proper remux).
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2019, 01:00   #23717  |  Link
zerowalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Looks it's exactly the same problem as reported by Blight in post #23750 (which nevcairiel added a workaround for in the recent nightly). So the file is broken. You can see the difference in MKVToolNix GUI's Info Tool (in the clusters you see that no AAC frame is marked as key frame in the original as opposed to a proper remux).
Ah, could this perhaps be fixed when the file is made?
I don't have experience with how ffmpeg handles this programatically but perhaps someone here does, if so i could talk to the developer of OBS and perhaps get it solved with the help of both.
Cause solving the source seems like the best solution, even if there's a workaround.
Old 31st December 2019, 13:26   #23718  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Of course this could be solved when the file is made. OBS should mark audio frames as keyframes when encoding/muxing the audio, and it would all be fine. If they were using ffmpeg for encoding, it should do that automatically, but I assume they have some abstraction between encoding and muxing, and the keyframe flag is lost in there.
Old 31st December 2019, 15:20   #23719  |  Link
zerowalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Of course this could be solved when the file is made. OBS should mark audio frames as keyframes when encoding/muxing the audio, and it would all be fine. If they were using ffmpeg for encoding, it should do that automatically, but I assume they have some abstraction between encoding and muxing, and the keyframe flag is lost in there.
Indeed they use it, and i recall the developer not getting why it would mess up as ffmpeg handles it.

Not sure how it muxes it and it might be as you say that it's lost there, will try to get some info on that.
Old 6th January 2020, 00:59   #23720  |  Link
jespermart

Quote:
I will try Jriver as an external player in KODI. Thanks for your advice Manni.
Did you manage to use Jriver as an external player in Kodi, if yes could you please post your playercorefactory file
jespermart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter