Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 27th January 2009, 10:43   #1  |  Link
Mike Chen

MakeMKV - Blu-ray/DVD/Hd-dvd decryptor and remuxer

I would like to announce yet another tool for Blu-ray decryption. MakeMKV http://www.makemkv.com is a program that converts Blu-ray and DVD discs into MKV files directly, preserving original encoding for all tracks. I previously announced the program in "containers" forum at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143361 but at that time it was limited only to MKB v4 and below so it was essentially useless for Blu-ray. The current version has latest AACS keys so it can open all Blu-ray discs (except BD+). The program is currently freeware but some functionality will become trialware in future while some wil stay free forever. Enjoy.
Mike Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 16:02   #2  |  Link
KenD00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chen View Post
latest AACS keys so it can open all Blu-ray discs (except BD+)
The latest keys we know of are for MKBv8 while Blu-Ray discs with MKBv9 already exists. So either you know more keys than we or less discs .

KenD00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 19:00   #3  |  Link
setarip_old

@KenD00

Hi!

By all means, if you haven't already done so, read "Mike Chen's" other thread, to get a better sense of some of Mike's well-intentioned statements ;>} This program appears to have great potential and may provide true competition for the (presently) only commercial software...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 19:35   #4  |  Link
loo3aem3ON

Quote:
I would like to announce yet another tool for Blu-ray decryption.
Are you planning to add BD+ support in the near future?

Quote:
it can open all Blu-ray discs
You should replace "open" with "decrypt" in your description unless you really mean taking apart the different layers of the physical disc.
loo3aem3ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 21:56   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

I just used the program to successfully backup an older (2006) BluRay release that has the main movie split between two non-consecutive "titles" (That I subsequently joined perfectly, using "MKVMerge").

As other members who have read the original thread and/or used MakeMKV thusfar are aware, MakeMKV creates a separate .MKV file for each "title", making no effort to join titles that comprise one true TITLE.

Although this presents no problem regarding standard DVDs (For which the vast majority of movies are contained in but one "title"), it seems to me that, in order to be a meaningful ripping/converting progam regarding BluRay discs, MakeMKV would have to include the ability to interpret playlists or whatever the controlling files are in determining the proper sequential playback of "titles" that comprise the movie.

Additionally, I've got to believe that it would be an almost trivial task to, prior to creating the .MKVs, provide the ability to save the BluRay disc, in its entirety, to hard disk...

Last edited by setarip_old; 27th January 2009 at 22:00.
Old 27th January 2009, 22:06   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

@Mike Chen

Is there some "secret" to getting MakeMKV to successfully use a ripped hard drive BluRay "package"?

Thusfar (Trying al versions including v.1.02_B684), regarding several different BluRay (and HD) titles, the end result has always been, "Unable to open disc"...
Old 28th January 2009, 03:21   #7  |  Link
KenD00

@setarip_old
I know the other thread very well, i was just curious about the announced decrypting abilities, because so far AnyDVD HD was the only program that can do MKBv9.

Anyway, i have tried it with my X-Files 2 disc (which is MKBv9) and it was decrypted (except the BD+ damages of course), so this program seems to be the second one that knows a new processing key and maybe certificate. The Linux community is in desparate need of a new certificate and a new PK definately wouldn't hurt too .

@Mike Chen
Have you found the new key / certificate on the web or have you worked them out yourself?

KenD00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 08:02   #8  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenD00 View Post
@Mike Chen
Have you found the new key / certificate on the web or have you worked them out yourself?

We have our own . Version 1.2 contains aacs keys that can unlock MKB v10 and will probably stay valid until v11. It contains fairly recent host certificate and "libriveio" library, that is planning to be released under LGPL, that can read VID from drives with patched firmware directly.
Old 28th January 2009, 07:59   #9  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@Mike Chen

Is there some "secret" to getting MakeMKV to successfully use a ripped hard drive BluRay "package"?

Thusfar (Trying al versions including v.1.02_B684), regarding several different BluRay (and HD) titles, the end result has always been, "Unable to open disc"...
No secrets actually, it should just open either files on hard drive or iso image. What you've been trying to do - open already decryped files or iso, or your "package" is encrypted? If you could please enable "log debug messages" in settings menu, restart the program,try to open ripped files and post the log here or via PM - it would really help us to understand the problem. And yes, if you're trying to open encrypted files you'll need to have either VID or VUK.
Old 28th January 2009, 03:38   #10  |  Link
setarip_old

@KenD00
Quote:
I know the other thread very well, i was just curious about the announced decrypting abilities
I was trying to obtusely advise that "Mike Chen" seems to occasionally make overzealous statements about the program's capabilities...
Old 28th January 2009, 09:02   #11  |  Link
setarip_old

@Mike Chen

Here are four examples of failed attempts to open decrypted BluRay filesets residing on a hard drive:

Swordfish - Decrypted files on harddrive

Selected "MovieObect.bdmv":
FAILURE: Code 3 at >f0]:TW#V uho<iN'4rT{qyWO:121261727
FAILURE: Code 0 at IXUcGJ0 YJtbB3I8:121265039
FAILURE: Code 0 at IXUcGJ0 YJtbB3I8:29394068
Failed to open disc

Selected "index.bdmv":
Failed to open disc

Ladder 49 - Decrypted files on harddrive

Failed to open disc

Selected "index.bdmv":
Failed to open disc

Unless my vision is even worse than I think, I believe all four attempts yielded identical error logs.

Last edited by setarip_old; 28th January 2009 at 09:04.
Old 28th January 2009, 10:37   #12  |  Link
loric

Is a Linux version planned? Even without the GUI?
loric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 10:11   #13  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:
@Mike Chen
Failed to open disc
[/B]
Thank you, that made it clear. There is an error when opening decrypted files from harddrive, there is no workaround. New version should be available soon.
Old 29th January 2009, 06:59   #14  |  Link
setarip_old

@Mike Chen

I must say, I'm most impressed with this latest version!

It successfully ripped and converted to .MKV the quite recently released "Star Wars - The Clone Wars" Blue Ray version (VC-1 video) directly from the BluRay disc.

This latest version also appears to have the capability of converting an already decrypted .ISO version of a BluRay disc to .MKV, but strangely, only if the .ISO is NOT mounted (I'll recheck this again at a later time). Also, as noted earlier, it still doesn't seem to be capable of dealing with already decrypted filesets (not .ISO image files) stored on a hard drive.

Kudos to you and your team on what, with this release of v.1.02_b864, I now see to be a very exciting program in the making. Keep up the excellent progress ;>}
Old 29th January 2009, 09:35   #15  |  Link
setarip_old

@Mike Chen

Ironically, after congratulating you and recommending MakeMKV to a member ("MPAA") in response to a posting in the "Newbies" sub-forum here, it was extremely disappointing to hear back from that member that, contrary to your statement (both at the top of this thread and on your homepage) that:
Quote:
Preserves all video and audio tracks
MakeMKV generates the following error notification:
Quote:
Stream #1 of type 'DTS-HD audio' was skipped, since it is not supported in BETA version
Considering the large number of BluRay discs out there with DTS-HD encoding (and, possibly, no additional .AC3 in the same language), this limitation may prove to be prohibitive to anyone desiring to extacct the best possible audio.

Perhaps, rather than having members (including myself) "discover" the program's unstated limtiations/deficiencies, you would be good enough to state them in a post to this thread. We all understand that this is a work in progress, so don't be bashful ;>}
Old 29th January 2009, 10:24   #16  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:
@Mike Chen

Considering the large number of BluRay discs out there with DTS-HD encoding (and, possibly, no additional .AC3 in the same language), this limitation may prove to be prohibitive to anyone desiring to extacct the best possible audio.

Perhaps, rather than having members (including myself) "discover" the program's unstated limtiations/deficiencies, you would be good enough to state them in a post to this thread. We all understand that this is a work in progress, so don't be bashful ;>}
There are two high-def DTS formats - "DTS HD" and "DTS HD MA". Only first is not supported and only because we haven't seen any disc that uses it. Majority of the discs use master audio.

For any HD audio format "supported" means that core audio is extracted and placed to MKV. So for any HD audio MKV will contain regular 5.1 audio, either AC3 or DTS. Currently there is no way to put HD audio into MKV and no player will play it.

Currently unsupported but easy to do once we have a sample disc:
DTS HD (DTS HD master audio is supported)
dolby digital plus (Dolby truehd is supported)

not supported:
blu-ray text subtitles

not implemented yet:
no chapters are extracted from blu-ray
on blu-ray each AV clip is extracted as separate title

BTW, on regular DVDs one title contains almost always 2 or more AV clips because of layer break. MakeMKV joins them automatically.
Old 30th January 2009, 13:56   #17  |  Link
TiVoMad

Quote:

For any HD audio format "supported" means that core audio is extracted and placed to MKV. So for any HD audio MKV will contain regular 5.1 audio, either AC3 or DTS. Currently there is no way to put HD audio into MKV and no player will play it.
Hi Mike,
What a lot of us have been doing using the 'manual' method is to convert the hi-def audio formats to FLAC. A PC with something like MadFlac installed will happily play back the full bandwidth audio and it can be sent via HDMI as 7.1 PCM. It would be very cool if you added that 'feature' at a later date.

Also, I think the MKV container's latest spec. does allow the HD Audio formats although as you say, nothing will play them (yet). FFDSHOW has some beta support for the new audio but I don't think it works too well at the moment.

Anyway, great program. Well Done.

TiVo.
TiVoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:43   #18  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMad View Post
Hi Mike,
What a lot of us have been doing using the 'manual' method is to convert the hi-def audio formats to FLAC. A PC with something like MadFlac installed will happily play back the full bandwidth audio and it can be sent via HDMI as 7.1 PCM. It would be very cool if you added that 'feature' at a later date.

Also, I think the MKV container's latest spec. does allow the HD Audio formats although as you say, nothing will play them (yet). FFDSHOW has some beta support for the new audio but I don't think it works too well at the moment.

Anyway, great program. Well Done.

TiVo.
TiVo,

Many thanks for the information! That's really great, we will try to add this in the future!
Could you by any chance send me some tutorial of how you do that?
Old 29th January 2009, 10:48   #19  |  Link
setarip_old

@MIke Chen
Quote:
There is an error when opening decrypted files from harddrive, there is no workaround.
Convert to (unmounted) .ISO image file.

Quote:
There are two high-def DTS formats - "DTS HD" and "DTS HD MA". Only first is not supported and only because we haven't seen any disc that uses it.
Per member "MPAA", the "Reservoir Dogs 15th anniversary edition" contains just such an audiostream.

BTW - Does MakeMKV presently process LPCM audiostreams?

Last edited by setarip_old; 30th January 2009 at 02:35. Reason: To provide additional information
Old 30th January 2009, 10:24   #20  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:
- Does MakeMKV presently process LPCM audiostreams?
Oh, sorry forgot to mention LPCM in my previous post: currently it's unsupported but will be in future.