Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 2nd July 2010, 06:56   #1  |  Link
MeridiusUK

Keeping DTS HD streams help

hi all

I am building a media centre and have makemkv and want to keep the DTS HD, I have read

I see the confusion. in DTS HD a single audio track is represented by two streams - core audio and extension. Core audio contains 5.1 audio and extension brings it to 7.1 or loseless. MakeMKV skips extension stream (second audio) but not the core audio.

i want to be able to use hd-audio from my blu-rays is this not possable

cheers
MeridiusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:41   #2  |  Link
rica

No, it keeps DTS-HD.

Last edited by rica; 2nd July 2010 at 15:45.
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:50   #3  |  Link
MeridiusUK

thanks so i can keep my DTS-HD and dolby digital HD audios from blu-rays using make mkv and bitstream them from my pc to the amp as my gfx supports bitstreaming to amps as i haev a ati 5xxx card

would i need to rip the normal ac3 audio to for tvs as tvs do not support hd audio ?

whats the a good way to rip a dvd and blu-ray movie i have been toled its good to use makmkv and then use handbrake on it to compress them is this a good way

also herd that handbrake set to CQ and rf-19 for dvds and blu-rays to get good quality out of them ?

cheers for any help

Last edited by Guest; 2nd July 2010 at 12:53. Reason: rule 12: don't ask what's best
Old 4th July 2010, 03:39   #4  |  Link
GuilhermeAraujo

I used MeGUI to rip Blurays and a few other programs, like Haali Media Splitter, ffdshow, AvsP, Avisynth, Graph editor. Google for MeGUI tutorials, they can help you on how to use these other programs to work with MeGUI.
Use eac3to to demux and extract the audio streams and subtitles. Rip subtitles with SupRip (do not mistake with SubRip).
Finally, muxed with mkvtoolnix.
GuilhermeAraujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 12:49   #5  |  Link
MeridiusUK

so makemkv is no good then ? just want the simplest way of doing it

cheers
Old 5th July 2010, 19:28   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!
Quote:
so makemkv is no good then ?
That is INCORRECT.

Just make sure you place checkmarks next to BOTH the "core" and "extension" versions of the DTS audiostream...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 20:09   #7  |  Link
MeridiusUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Hi! That is INCORRECT.

Just make sure you place checkmarks next to BOTH the "core" and "extension" versions of the DTS audiostream...
exellent stuff thanks for the tip sorry about all the questions as i am new at doing this and want the best from my blu-rays, so is the core and extension all built into 1 audio track and not two sperate audios ?

another question if you all dont mind i have herd pcs can not output as good of a picture as a dedicated blu-ray player eg i own a denon 2500bt whihc is a £800 player is this true ?

i ahve herd people say a ps3 outputs just as good as a blu-ray disk when watching mkvs but a pc is not as good is this true ?

cheers