Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th March 2011, 20:56   #6001  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Send me a PM with a link.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 21:03   #6002  |  Link
mark0077

Example file sent, thanks!
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 22:00   #6003  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
madshi, one of the mp4 files I'm having issues with frame drops seems to have this issue according to mkvmerge when I was trying to make an mkv from it. No remuxing so far has allowed me to get it to play without evr-cp showing jittery graphs, or madVR dropping frames. ffdshow says its 23.974fps, my display is about 23.962hz~ (nvidia).
How did you mux? Did you use eac3to for video muxing, as I suggested?

According to eac3to the video track is 24.000fps, not 23.976fps. Try muxing the video to MKV with eac3to, then add the audio track with mkvtoolnix. Finally, set your display refresh rate to 24.000Hz instead of 23.976Hz. Does that fix the problem?
Old 14th March 2011, 22:03   #6004  |  Link
Mr Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The pagefile is managed by the OS. If madVR increases pagefile usage then probably your PC doesn't have enough RAM in it. madVR keeps 8 decoded frames in system RAM. I don't think EVR does that. Sorry, nothing I can do about it. The max I could do is to offer an option to decrease the queue size. I have that planned for a future build, but it may take some time until I get there.
That would be my first guess as well, except that my commit at the time was less than half my RAM, so I wasn't in a memory constrained environment. I'll dig around more and see if I can figure anything else out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Could you tell me briefly how to check this? I have an SSD as well but I don't think madVR is doing that on my setup.
Get Process Monitor.
By default it writes its capture to the pagefile so you need to change that to something else, via File/Backing Files.
By default it also hides a lot of system events so you need to Enabled Advanced Output under the Filter menu.
The open the filter editor, crtl+L, and add two new filters:
  1. Include Path ends with pagefile.sys
  2. Include Operation contains write
Take care because the capture Process Monitor does very quickly becomes huge.
Mr Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 22:12   #6005  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
How did you mux? Did you use eac3to for video muxing, as I suggested?

According to eac3to the video track is 24.000fps, not 23.976fps. Try muxing the video to MKV with eac3to, then add the audio track with mkvtoolnix. Finally, set your display refresh rate to 24.000Hz instead of 23.976Hz. Does that fix the problem?
I just remuxed using mkvmerge, and set the frame rate to 24. Still the same unfortunately.

I'll try eac3to again now but the "eac3to and more gui" is messed up on my machine. All the buttons are overlapping each other. The gui prompts me for certain items like a destination which I have already given it etc. I'll try to use a different gui or command line.n there.

According to ffdshow its 23.974

Do you think the video renderer can improve playback of such files without having to remux, that no doubt alot of people will have. Would madVR leveling out its timestamps prevent frame drops?

Last edited by mark0077; 14th March 2011 at 22:18.
Old 14th March 2011, 22:18   #6006  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Do you think the video renderer can improve playback of such files, that no doubt alot of people will have. Would madVR leveling out its timestamps prevent frame drops?
madVR can not magically make 24.000fps video content play smooth if your display is set to 23.976Hz.
Old 14th March 2011, 22:33   #6007  |  Link
mark0077

fair enough I guess madVR only takes its info from the incoming decoder, ie info below for this 24.000 fps clip, which in turn takes info from the file itself. Nothing that can be done...

Video: YV12 2048x1080 (16:9) 23.97fps
Old 14th March 2011, 22:40   #6008  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

"Nothing that can be done"? I'm wondering whether you read my posts at all.
Old 14th March 2011, 22:42   #6009  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
"Nothing that can be done"? I'm wondering whether you read my posts at all.
Nothing that can be done without remuxing all of my files No need to get snappy / cross again

Heres another vote for madVR showing the actual rate of the incoming video, not according to the source filter, as I learned the hard way today, they can't always be trusted if the files arn't muxed / created properly in the first place. Cheers for the help figuring out my issue.

I'll ask the ffdshow guys to have perhaps some sort of indication in their gui also to show the actual fps, not the fps listed in the video file. These problem files even at 24hz still show erratic behaviour in evr-cp graphs so I think timestamps must be erratic in these files or something like that. Nothing specific to madVR of course.

Last edited by mark0077; 14th March 2011 at 22:58.
Old 14th March 2011, 22:58   #6010  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Nothing that can be done without remuxing all of my files No need to get snappy again
I get snappy if I get the feeling that you don't have a problem with spending serious amounts of my free time. And that is a feeling I have right now.

Four posts ago I suggested to you to set your display to 24.000Hz. Have you tried to do that in the meanwhile? Next time please try my suggestions *first* and post your next comment only *after* you've done that. That would save me a lot of time. Thanks.

And here comes another post you're forcing me to: "Nothing that can be done without remuxing" may be wrong. Settings your refresh rate to 24.000Hz may result in the original mp4 file playing just fine. See? If you had tried setting your display to 24.000Hz before dropping another 4 posts on me, you may have saved me half an hour of time. Right now you're forcing me to speculate on what might be necessary, instead of letting me know the results of the tests I suggested.
Old 14th March 2011, 23:10   #6011  |  Link
mark0077

You or anyone else doesn't have to spend 1 second of their time if they don't wish reading / acting on others posts.

We had this discussion before so lets not have it again, the last time I'll say it, there is absolutely no need to have an attitude in replies to posts which you often have, because as I say, if you don't want to spend time reading them, don't, period. No need to accuse others of wasting your time etc. Thats just ridiculous. Its your time you decide what you spend it on. Lighten up a bit and don't spend time replying to posts if you feel you're wasting your time, move onto something else perhaps.

You don't seem to read peoples posts either, I told you I set the frame rate to 24 when remuxing and my display to 24.000hz.... It doesn't completely fix the issue of madVR and ffdshow taking their fps information from the decoders / incoming filters (I know this has no effect on madVRs performance), but people read this information and in this case I trusted that ffdshows detection of the frame rate in the file was correct (and in turn madVR's display of this information) so in that sense, the issue isn't fixed. I have asked the ffdshow guys for a possible improvement in that area. The graphs are still erratic in evr-cp at 24hz and I can only speculate that madVR isn't showing having any dropped frames because the timestamps seem all over the place in some of these files I have, and because my display hz is now above the rate at which the variation in the timestamps would result in a frame drop...

PS: You can ignore this post if you feel your wasting your time doing so. Turns out it's not 24hz either its vfr which neither madvr evrcp or ffdshow could tell me.

Last edited by mark0077; 15th March 2011 at 02:17.
Old 14th March 2011, 23:25   #6012  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Alpha View Post
Get Process Monitor.
By default it writes its capture to the pagefile so you need to change that to something else, via File/Backing Files.
By default it also hides a lot of system events so you need to Enabled Advanced Output under the Filter menu.
The open the filter editor, crtl+L, and add two new filters:
  1. Include Path ends with pagefile.sys
  2. Include Operation contains write
Take care because the capture Process Monitor does very quickly becomes huge.

I'm not sure how to look for how much write was going on, though I think I don't see much differences when madVR is running
Old 15th March 2011, 09:21   #6013  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
You or anyone else doesn't have to spend 1 second of their time if they don't wish reading / acting on others posts.
In case you haven't noticed, I'm trying to answer every question posted in this thread. Do you want me to change that? Do you want this thread to be like every other thread here on doom9 where you have to be lucky to get a useful reply to your posts? E.g. do you think you have a good chance to get a developer reply to your post in the ffdshow thread you posted yesterday? If you like the way I treat this thread, then you have to accept that it's also *your* responsibility to not waste my time.

Quote:
No need to accuse others of wasting your time etc. Thats just ridiculous.
It is? I tell you to try A (mux video with eac3to) and B (set display to 24.000Hz). Instead of doing that you report back and say you tried C (mux with mkvtoolnix again) and you claim that there's obviously nothing that can be done. Then I ask whether you read my posts. And you still don't try A nor B, but you still continue to post replies with non-correct information that I feel I have to correct. That's a first class example of doing your very best to waste my time.

If I tell you to try A and B, then *please* try A and B, and then report back on whether it worked or not. Anything else means you're wasting my time. It's really not rocket science.

Quote:
You don't seem to read peoples posts either, I told you I set the frame rate to 24 when remuxing
Yes, by using mkvtoolnix again, when I told you *twice* to use eac3to for video muxing.

Quote:
and my display to 24.000hz....
The first time you said that was by editing one of your posts at the same second when I made my last post yesterday.
Old 15th March 2011, 10:02   #6014  |  Link
mark0077

Yes I do think you should change the way you react to forum posts. No matter what anyone says it shouldn't cause the angry reactions you sometimes appear to show. Its not good for you. I edited many forum posts over the past few days. All way before any of your angry replies. End of the day dont reply to ANYONE with such accusations of wasting time and anger because its uncalled for.

I'll continue the discussion about my issue elsewhere as I seem to be getting more positive feedback and even some svn changes that might help. Just shows how one approach to forum posting results in a different outcome than others for everyone. I'm out of here anyways there's no point going on and on.

Last edited by mark0077; 15th March 2011 at 10:04.
Old 15th March 2011, 10:11   #6015  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Yeah, sure. I'm the bad guy, and you're innocent. Alright, you'll get your wish: In the future I'll only reply to you if I feel like it. That will save me some frustration.
Old 15th March 2011, 13:04   #6016  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
I'll continue the discussion about my issue elsewhere as I seem to be getting more positive feedback
*rolls eyes*
Old 15th March 2011, 13:11   #6017  |  Link
mark0077

Roll your eyes all you want, positive feedback on various forums including avs is now meaning updates are being looked at for mvtools, and possibly other pieces of software to better support vfr..
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...025800&page=39

ffs everyones trying their best here to contribute something good to the community... you think you'd do the same rather than making things worse by posting such stupid replies. Just leave it, this thread is getting enough unnecessary replies at this point. Will be my last anyways.

Last edited by mark0077; 15th March 2011 at 13:25.
Old 15th March 2011, 13:12   #6018  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
*rolls eyes*
That dispute was between madshi and mark0077.
There's zero need for you to chime in with this childish remark!
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 13:28   #6019  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
That dispute was between madshi and mark0077.
There's zero need for you to chime in with this childish remark!
There's no need for you to jump on mr.duck, either. All he did was taking my side (which I appreciate). Anyway, we should really drop this now.
Old 15th March 2011, 19:18   #6020  |  Link
underzone

Any way.... keep up the good work Madshi we all appreciate this kick ass renderer!!!
underzone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling