Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 15th February 2013, 09:00   #121  |  Link
Warperus

Thank you, drmpeg.
Warperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 19:50   #122  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq963152 View Post
By the way: why are so many users here still referring to "HEVC"? It's officialy called "H.265" now, isn't it?
ISO/IEC name is still (MPEG-H) HEVC, H.265 is the ITU-T's name for it, only given to it lately (before that it was marked as ITU-T H.HEVC there).

Just like (MPEG-4) AVC is the ISO/IEC name for what is called H.264 over at the ITU-T.
Old 17th February 2013, 23:06   #123  |  Link
Biggiesized

H.HEVC might have been a working name like H.26L.
Biggiesized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 00:20   #124  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggiesized View Post
H.HEVC might have been a working name like H.26L.
It was indeed. Since numbers are usually only given relatively close to finalization of the specification (although yes, it still isn't finished).

In any case, my point was that both HEVC and H.265 are valid names for the format (I generally will be calling it HEVC because that's how I've been calling it for the past XY months, and the fact that it gained another nickname isn't going to change much of that habit)
Old 18th February 2013, 16:42   #125  |  Link
pandy

Quote:

Can't wait for x265 then .
https://code.google.com/p/x265/

Quote:
@ x264 developers:

Can you please stop working on x264 and put all your workforce into x265 (or whatever you wanna call it) from now on ?
What with interlace? And how fast your CPU is clocked? 12GHz?
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 17:07   #126  |  Link
aegisofrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
https://code.google.com/p/x265/

What with interlace? And how fast your CPU is clocked? 12GHz?
AFAIK that isn't "real" x265 though. The developer isn't part of the x264 team like Dark Shikari, akupenguin et al. I wonder what will DS et al call their implementation of HEVC now?
aegisofrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 18:00   #127  |  Link
easyfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
AFAIK that isn't "real" x265 though. The developer isn't part of the x264 team like Dark Shikari, akupenguin et al. I wonder what will DS et al call their implementation of HEVC now?
Are you really sure that x264 team will do a HEVC encoder ?
easyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 18:27   #128  |  Link
aegisofrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyfab View Post
Are you really sure that x264 team will do a HEVC encoder ?
Nope I'm not sure at all. AFAIK DS has not commented on the issue. I'm just saying that the x265 linked is not done by the x264 developers.
Old 18th February 2013, 22:40   #129  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

anyway the work for x264 is incredible ... perhaps time for other dev to work to x265.

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9

Last edited by Guest; 18th February 2013 at 23:18. Reason: 3, 4
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 08:16   #130  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Hype victim.

There are very few people willing to spend a week on a movie just to be a "pioneer" using a bleeding edge technology, not understanding that most consumers and casual users will demand a conversion being faster than playing time.

Give the developers the time they need to really understand the concepts, even before they start implementing half-baked code. A good software project is started in theory, and it is "almost done" (regarding its definition) before the first line of code starts. The less you know where you go, the more often you have to go back because you took a wrong turn.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 10:31   #131  |  Link
Audionut

Not to mention, afaik, it was over 12months after version 1 of H.264 before the first commit of x264. And x264 was not fast initially.

Have we even got a final draft of HEVC yet?
I guess people these days are less patient.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:52   #132  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

They never had the joy of manually tweaking DivX 3.11α SBC parameters in Nandub until there were no "shit frames" left...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 13:20   #133  |  Link
pandy

Quote:
What do you mean with "What with interlace?"?

H.265 is designed for progressive video - mostly those with higher resolution in mind (4k and 8k)

Quote:
So you're saying a 12 GHz CPU is needed to decode H.265 ?
Today probably yes especially for 4k content (8 k for sure) - count H.265 as 4 - 16 times more demanding than H.264 for CPU speed.

Quote:
Also: the sooner the adoption of H.265 starts, the more likely it would be that there would be dedicated hardware to decode H.265. So a CPU might not even be necessary if NVIDIA or AMD for example would develop some VPUs capable of decoding H.265 .

Seriously, just look at those numbers posted by "xooyoozoo":

They sound amazing IMHO. So why not screw H.264 from now on and go for H.265 instead ?
But why - is see no point to go for H.265 for HD - it have sense for Ultra HD however until moderate priced displays for 4k will be not present then i don't see any gain for H.265 over H.264.

Last edited by Guest; 19th February 2013 at 14:39. Reason: 6
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 17:04   #134  |  Link
aegisofrime

Quote:
So H.265 does not support interlacing?

That would be awesome .

Interlacing is a very evil thing IMHO and should have been abandoned a long time ago.

So, if H.265 drops interlacing support, then this actually is very much appreciated .
They can drop it as long as we get high frame rates.

Recently there's a disturbing trend of some DVDs coming out with 30p content. In this case, I actually prefer 30i as I can deinterlace it with QTGMC to get nice 60p content. With 30p, the best I can do is to double the framerate with Interframe, and the results are not as good as deinterlacing 30i with QTGMC.
Old 19th February 2013, 19:04   #135  |  Link
sneaker_ger

H.265 still supports flagging content as interlaced - it just doesn't have any interlaced tools like PAFF or MBAFF anymore AFAIK.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 19:38   #136  |  Link

Guys, debating interlacing versus progressive is off topic here. Further such posts will be deleted.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 22:16   #137  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

Split the debate crap off into it's own thread, it's spoiling an interesting thread.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 20:17   #138  |  Link
kidjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical View Post
And yet, all of this was being said by people when H.264 was ratified. Hardware support took many years to become as ubiquitous as it is. x264 didn't become as mature as it is now until many years after the standard came out. By this logic, we should have just stuck to MPEG-1 video.
Except there wasn't an existing base of billions of phones capable of decoding MPEG-1, and MPEG-1 was obviously a pretty basic standard comparatively speaking. Right now there are literally billions of embedded devices with hardware capability for H.264; it's a completely different situation if you take magnitude and proliferation into account, not to mention the relative maturity of H.264 when compared to something like MPEG-1 (please, no comparison)
kidjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 20:19   #139  |  Link
kidjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulhunter View Post
My prediction is that HEVC will give us more something like a 25% compression improvement, and probably mainly for high resolution content... Considering how much more cycles it eats, and that high resolution content takes ages to encode to begin with, its use is imo questionable, even more so considering that we don't know if 8k (and higher) will find widespread acceptance by the consumers or if it will go the way of high definition audio for music (SACD, Audio DVD...). As storage and bandwidth is growing I don't see much need for better compression than we have now with x264, at least not at the costs of the need for new encoding/decoder hardware and time (CPU cycles). Just my 2 cents *Back to IDLE mode*
...and that isn't even beginning to broach the whole patent subject. HEVC basically resets the clock on royalties.
kidjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 21:02   #140  |  Link
paradoxical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjan View Post
Except there wasn't an existing base of billions of phones capable of decoding MPEG-1, and MPEG-1 was obviously a pretty basic standard comparatively speaking. Right now there are literally billions of embedded devices with hardware capability for H.264; it's a completely different situation if you take magnitude and proliferation into account, not to mention the relative maturity of H.264 when compared to something like MPEG-1 (please, no comparison)
There were more than a billion VCRs sold when DVD came out. There were more than a billion DVD players sold when BluRay came out. Did you fight against those things coming out as well? I really don't see how it's a different scenario other than you've just made an arbitrary line. H.264 deserves no special place of being considered irreplaceable versus any other video codec or format.