Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th February 2009, 11:40   #11  |  Link
kypec
User of free A/V tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
That documentation is outdated. The WAV file created by eac3to is perfectly fine. It just uses a newer revision of the WAV file format, which is not supported by some applications. If you run into trouble you can use the eac3to "-simple" switch which will make eac3to output "old style" WAV files (with Compression code 0x0001). Please note that old style WAV files do not have a field to store the channel configuration of the channels. So for multichannel data, using the new file format revision is recommended. See also here:http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...ultichaud.mspx
Thanks for your explanation, I noticed there are some Extra format bytes in the header present. It's also nice that there is -simple option switch prepared already. Unfortunately its existence is well hidden in the documentation (usage help). Could you please make it visible in further releases (and maybe also other undocumented switches which there possibly are)?

:::EDIT:::
I do not want to sound rude, yet I still think that the Compression code should be set to 0x0001.This is standard value meaning Uncompressed PCM. It has nothing to do with number of channels, sample rate, bit depth of samples, or mapping of the channels in case of WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE enhancements. Therefore I see no reason why you set it to 0xFFFE for standard uncompressed PCM Windows WAV file, it just doesn't make sense.
:::EDIT 2:::
Sorry, now I found that 0xFFFE designates that WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE additions. Sorry for being such dumb ass.

Last edited by kypec; 14th February 2009 at 12:08.

Tags
eac3to