Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 22nd February 2004, 07:01   #1  |  Link
nFury8

AMD users bashed in Toms Hardware article

I know that the Doom9 crowd does not take Toms Hardware seriously anymore. I for one don't. But I was browsing over at OCForums and AcesHardware Forums and came across a link to a really (insert word of choice here) article written by a certain Omid at Tom's. See for yourself. Again, here's another perfect reason never to take that site seriously ever again. On a related note, there are two articles there written as a rebuttal against that retarded Omid guy of Tom's (Ad)ware. We all know how much of a circus that site really is, so these sort of editorials is nothing new. Still.....

i286 CPU @ 10MHZ
8 Mbyte RAM
2MB Trident Graphics
20MB Hard Disk 3,600RPM
14" VGA Monitor
Built-in PC speaker
Windows 3.1
WinZip and WinRar - (for compressing my DVD movies)
(I'm a HQ freak so I always do a 2-floppy disk rip)
nFury8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2004, 07:38   #2  |  Link
Neo Neko

Well it has been years since I ever took Tom's Hardware seriously. 4 or so. But honestly he does have some points in with all his oppinions whether you like them or not. Personally I disagree with is views on AMD and INTEL. But that is just me. 64 bit is not that revolutionary. It is not going to change much. Especially when all you have is a moddified x86 core at heart. Sure AMD 64 offers some nice performance boosts. But is it actually due to the 64bitness or the improvement in the core chip design like the way it handles registers etc?

What is interesting is that if you look at the fastest adopted chipset for new systems it is actually IBM's PPC line. With the Game Cube and Apple both curretly using them, it looking like a sure thing that the PS3 is going to be based on them, and rumors that even the next Xbox "might" have IBM inside. Not to mention the next Nintendo system will likely use them as well. These little chips have piqued my interest. I can't afford a Mac though I really want one. But if IBM put out say a modular architechture based on them that I could use current computer hardware on for a reasonable price I would snap one up in a heart beat. It should not be out of the question. They have done it before. But it would not exactly be a competitor to the X86 systems. But I think we would be better off without them at this point. Both INTEL and AMD deal with to much legacy. Not to mention Microsoft.
The GIMP - Free raster graphics and photo editing software.
Planeshift - Free 3D MMORPG. Cause everyone needs some fun.
Neo Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2004, 12:54   #3  |  Link
wmansir

Pay it no attention. The article is pointless. Actually, that is not true. The point of the article is to bait users into a 'debate', raise 'controversy', and say:

Really if you look at the article and filter out all the jabs and baiting aimed at AMD enthusiasts, what is left of the article? What is the meat of the article? Not much. Definitely nothing that couldn't be boiled down into a single page, maybe a single paragraph. It's a pathetic, transparent attempt to get page views, and increase advert revenue.

PS. when did the forum start supporting inline pictures?
wmansir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2004, 13:16   #4  |  Link
mf
·

Quote:
Originally posted by wmansir
PS. when did the forum start supporting inline pictures?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67184
mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2004, 21:53   #5  |  Link
MfA

It is very unlikely the PS3 will use something which resembles a PPC architecture, it might have one or two PPC cores for book-keeping chores ... but almost certainly most of the chip will be taken up by number crunching cores. Cell might use PPC, but it probably wont be quite the same thing.

If they go with a chip which is nothing but a bunch of PPC cores with SIMD extensions that will mean they will have gone with a backup plan (which would be a shame).

I would love a PC with a high end processor designed for number crunching instead of for legacy applications (this includes just about any desktop processor in existence, including the PPC). But I doubt we will see one surface soon, the closest thing for a while will be GPUs probably ... unless IBM starts targetting Cell at the desktop.
MfA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2004, 23:26   #6  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Omid Rahmat
General Manager, U.S. Operations
Omid has more than 15 years of experience in the PC industry. Most recently, he was vice president of corporate planning and communications at Expertcity Inc. Previously, he was an analyst and author specializing in digital media technologies. His articles have appeared in The Economist, San Francisco Business Journal, New Media, Game Developer and Interactivity. He is the co-founder of the GAMEXecutive Conference, a forum for executives in the electronic gaming industry.

From his destription and his posting, looks like black and white
Old 23rd February 2004, 00:12   #7  |  Link
Neo Neko

Quote:
Originally posted by MfA
It is very unlikely the PS3 will use something which resembles a PPC architecture, it might have one or two PPC cores for book-keeping chores ... but almost certainly most of the chip will be taken up by number crunching cores. Cell might use PPC, but it probably wont be quite the same thing.
I don't believe I said architechture. I was speaking of the PPC chips. Which to me is different. Of all the legacy desktop chips though the PPC is the best IMHO. With a design like IBM's and the manufacturing process like INTELs would AMD or INTEL stand a chance? I actually found a non Mac PPC based system for sale. It comes pre-installed with Debian. Unfortunatly it is using G3/G4s not G5s. If only I had the money for a startup. I sense a market.
The GIMP - Free raster graphics and photo editing software.
Planeshift - Free 3D MMORPG. Cause everyone needs some fun.
Neo Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2004, 00:53   #8  |  Link
MfA

Well it wont have PPC chips either IBM has excellent process technology BTW, Intels 90 nm process seems a bit of a lame dog in comparison if you look at what it did for their processor scaling ...

For desktop processors the ISA isnt all that relevant ... even if PPC cores were mass produced on the same scale as x86 their price/performance ratio wouldnt be much different. Even power consumption wise they dont have a huge advantage over say AMD at the same clock and process, about 20% lower, the low power consumption of the PPC970FX is mostly a testament to their excellent 90 nm process. To the average consumer there is no real benefit (AMD will get access to IBMs 90 nm process too).

Now if Cell turns out like planned and they put that in a desktop machine, that would be interesting ... for something like encoding it could have a far better price/performance ratio than either x86 or PPC.
MfA is offline   Reply With Quote