Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th June 2008, 20:24   #1  |  Link
stormy1777

Audio out of sync on multi-part video

I use GKnot 0.35 (not auto) and like it alot. I like the full control, but recently I encountered several DVDs I got from friends, home made came out with audio not in sync. I did the usual trick, after I got the AVI put in Virtualdub and re-saved after guessing the amount of miliseconds of non-sync.

It just dawned on me.. All these DVD's had a small "clip" as the first part of the video, it's an introduction to the video. I want to keep it.. but the catch.. it has no audio..

I did a test, if I just pick the second part (main video), then the audio is perfectly in sync.

small part with no audio: Video_ts.vob (5MB)
main part: Vts_01_1.vob (400MB)

when I DGIndex both of them I get:
Both T01 2_0ch 256Kbps DELAY -30ms.ac3 (16MB)

when I DGIndex only main part I get:
VTS_01_1 T01 2_0ch 256Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3 (16MB) md5sum identical.

the question obviously is what is the simplest way to get a single AVI for these two VOBs? when one (or more) may not have any audio to it...

I looked and couldn't find an option to 'fill audio'...

Thanks much!
stormy1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 22:10   #2  |  Link
manono

Delay the audio by the exact length of the intro. To find that, open the script in VDubMod, scroll to the end of the intro, and note the time. Convert that to milliseconds. Then do the encoding with that delay entered in the audio portion of the encoder tab.

If all these DVDs have the same intro, you should have to find the delay only once.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 07:21   #3  |  Link
stormy1777

I the DGIndex .avs script it's hard to tell when clips start/end. What I did was take the entire VOB and drop it into V-dub.. noticed it was 6.039 seconds, so entered that in the audio as 6039, and sure enough audio is now in sync.

But this is manual, and also it doesn't cover cases where the VOB that has no audio is in the middle of a bunch of other VOBs..

Is there any automatic way to always PAD some blank audio?
Old 10th June 2008, 15:43   #4  |  Link
manono

I'm not sure I've seen such VOBs, although I suppose it's possible with several titles or PGCs within those VOBs. Even silent places usually have silent AC3 or whatever kind of audio it is. The audio doesn't just stop. Ordinarily you'd demux the PGCs separately for encoding. But to answer your question, if you just want to encode a bunch of VOBs without regard to PGC (a bad idea in my opinion), then I know of no way to add silence where you say it might be required, and I certainly don't know of any way to automatically find the place that needs it, find out how much silence it needs, and to add it in.
Old 10th June 2008, 23:35   #5  |  Link
stormy1777

There is NO audio on these VOBS. I put them in vdub, and see EMPTY Streams list. i.e. no audio at all, and that's the source of all the audio-missync.

I can easily ship you a 5MB VOB. Not sure what software created it, but I figure there's so many 'tools' that can create such a thing.. would be nice if some part in the (auto) GKnot chain could handle adding blank audio in such cases.

Where should I propose that enhancement? maybe this post is enough or maybe a better clearer post..

thanks!!
Old 11th June 2008, 01:14   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

(Since a moderator has been responding to you in this thread, I feel comfortable in doing so, as well)

Hi!
Quote:
Not sure what software created it, but I figure there's so many 'tools' that can create such a thing
Perhaps you should discuss this with the friend who provided these homebrewn DVDs to you. Knowing what software and procedures were used to create them could only be beneficial regarding the effort by moderator "manono" and possibly, others, to assist you further...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 05:46   #7  |  Link
stormy1777

Fair enough.
I've uploaded both IFO's from one DVD, dvd structure:
VIDEO_TS.IFO & identical .BUP
VIDEO_TS.VOB 4.5MB
VTS_01_0.IFO & identical .BUP
VTS_01_01.VOB 400MB

The VIDEO_TS.VOB is the one without the audio, seems like a menu, but I still want that as the 'intro' to the main feature. If I load that VOB into vdub, there is NO streams at all, but I can see the video just fine.

I loaded this info IFOEDIT but can't figure out how DVD was authored, I will try to get the details.. this is for a school event, so need to track the parent who actually did it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ifos.zip (5.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 17th June 2008, 08:32   #8  |  Link
stormy1777

ok, got the answer:

> the program I used is called Ulead Video Studio 10.

meaning.. this should be easy to reproduce.. a simple fix would impose audio for all video sections, somehow..
Old 7th July 2008, 12:44   #9  |  Link
IYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy1777 View Post
ok, got the answer:

> the program I used is called Ulead Video Studio 10.

meaning.. this should be easy to reproduce.. a simple fix would impose audio for all video sections, somehow..
Do you know how to make a mpg file without a theme with it?
IYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 20:44   #10  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Do you know how to make a mpg file without a theme with it?
What's that got to do with the subject matter of this thread?
Quote:
this should be easy to reproduce.. a simple fix would impose audio for all video sections, somehow..
Nope. You not only have VOBs from 2 different PGCs, but one's a menu PGC you're trying to join to a title PGC. It doesn't work like that and it's not possible to remedy with a simple fix. GKnot gets the delay from DGIndex and it won't give you a delay for such a situation. The way around is to do as I suggested earlier; find the length of the non-audio part and add in that delay yourself before starting the encoding.

Last edited by manono; 7th July 2008 at 20:48.