Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 24th April 2002, 13:39   #41  |  Link
robUx4
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackSun
Coming Soon... The Concentric Circles of Audio and Video
http://www.corecodec.com
Which circle is inside the other ?
robUx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 13:41   #42  |  Link
BlackSun
CoreCodec

Stop bugging me

Edit: this section has not yet been uploaded/updated
mouhaha lol
BlackSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 14:47   #43  |  Link
DeXT

@Chris: yes I also think the way the "multimedia" scene works is far from perfect. But I think we cannot be blamed of "reinventing the wheel" with this filter. I've TRIED to get help from anyone, but no one had time to do the work, or give some help. And it should be noted that I started working on this only after Ingo leaved, and after realising no one would continue the work on his filter.

In fact I also tried to reuse his code but as I said, this is too difficult for me. I didn't even know where to start. So the only thing I could do is write a new filter based on a sample code. At least I have a clear idea on how to do it this way.

So yes, we've also suffered from lack of help from the "community". We (avih & me) are not DS experts, and still have several problems. But we have resigned this is the only way of making things go ahead. Anyways I still hope that a good C++ programmer will take Ingo's work and continue it.

Last edited by DeXT; 24th April 2002 at 15:19.
DeXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 15:09   #44  |  Link
DeXT

@tg0021: Oh I almost forgot, thank you A LOT for your report, it was a stupid mistake from me with the last minute VCD/SVCD compatibility hack. Our filter was not being used with tracks 2 and up, but MS one instead (this causes the jerky playback).

Below you have the fixed file (once it's approved). In fact it only needs a change in the *.reg file.

Thank you for your support.

Last edited by DeXT; 24th April 2002 at 19:24.
Old 24th April 2002, 16:19   #45  |  Link
tg0021

Quote:
Originally posted by DeXT
@tg0021: Oh I almost forgot, thank you A LOT for your report, it was a stupid mistake from me with the last minute VCD/SVCD compatibility hack. Our filter was not being used with tracks 2 and up, but MS one instead (this causes the jerky playback).

Below you have the fixed file. In fact it only needs a change in the *.reg file.

Thank you for your support.
Thanks for this quick fix. We'll keep on testing your filter : it's a great job
tg0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 18:10   #46  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

dext, i can't see the fix.
can u pls send it to me by email?
avihpit
at
yahoo
dot
com

thx
avih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 22:23   #47  |  Link
Peters

avih,DeXT, your filter works great.

Radlight works fine with it (No success with Bsplayer)

Thank's for all (and to all)
Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 23:12   #48  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

it's also working with zoomplayer and wmp8 (didn't check wmp6.4). i wonder about bsplayer though... i just tried and it didn't play. it complains about unknown file format, which is correct, it's a raw data file and not an mp3 file, that's what the filter is for, to strip the raw data, and leave us with the original file.

i guess bsplayer doesn't use dshow graphs normally, but some kind of internal code...

good point though.

avi.
Old 25th April 2002, 05:43   #49  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

So what is the status of the filter? It's working with any files? OGM, MCF, MP4, etc?
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 08:23   #50  |  Link
Peters

Opening a movie (without sound) with Bsplayer and then opening audio file (.dat in this case) works.
Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 08:45   #51  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

@int21h
status is as follows:
1. we can make it to play any kind of media file, but we have to compile for each of them. we're now working on automatic media type detection so that the same compiled filter will work with all formats. the automatic recognition is based on ingo's work from mediaxw.

2. currently, it reads the whole file to memory. this will also be changed. and it's quite simple to correct this. in the meantime, don't use it with LARGE files or you'll run out of virtual memory

3. we didn't yet tested how it works with actual scratched cd's. that's the purpose afterall, since there is no error correction. is still uses the sample code for reading the file. my assumption though is that it shuld be ok.

i guess few more days of working will fix #1 and #2. don't know about #3, since i don't know how much (if at all) effort it will take.

regards
avi.

ps.
can u play standard mcf files? i'm not aware of mcf tools atm

Last edited by avih; 25th April 2002 at 09:24.
Old 25th April 2002, 09:21   #52  |  Link
robUx4
Matroska Team

No MCF tools for the moment (there is a very basic C implementation of a parser though on CVS). Otherwise the big library is under construction.

I hope the first beta/alpha will be ready for the end of May.
robUx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 09:25   #53  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

and another thing.

after de_xt discussed it yesterday with tronic of the mcf team, we arrived at the conclusion that de_xt imaging tool, and the filter have nothing to do with mcf. meanning, it's standard iso 9660 file system, on standard mode 2 form 2 cd. just that. completely standard. we can call this format MCF-CD, 800CD, MoreCD or any other, but it may cause confusion, since it's NOT a new format. it's a standard inplementation of iso filesystem. theoretically, nero could support burning such images. i guess the only reason it doesn't is that it doesn't have error correction, and too many users will complain that their favourite xxx.exe file is not working anymore.

maybe "Project ISO: codename 800CD" in the meantime or just "800CD" to recognize the project (eventhough it can hold more or less, depending on the actual media, like in 99mins cd and 650M cds)

[edit]
after reading the thread again, maybe MoreCD is more appropriate, most ppl seems to like it, and it doesn't have any specific relation. it's also more correct than 800CD..

it could also be named Full-CD or just FCD. at least it can be written as 3 letters abbrv. 3 letters is fast to write

MCF-CD/MoreCD/800CD/FullCD ?
[/edit]

Last edited by avih; 25th April 2002 at 09:54.
Old 25th April 2002, 11:10   #54  |  Link
oddball

I wonder if there is a way to write to Form 2 Mode 2 on the fly for any data. Having to convert to a .bin file takes time and eats up hard disk space. Doesn't Nero have an option for plugins? Or maybe someone could write a simple Form 2 Mode 2 CD wrting prog. Doesn't have to do anything fancy. Just drag and drop files and burn.

But I am getting ahead of myself I guess
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 12:59   #55  |  Link
DeXT

@oddball: yes there is a way, write your own CD mastering & burning application with M2F2 support

Now serious: if it would have existed any single tool or medium to write M2F2 files this way, I'd have never wrote this tool. But AFAIK currently this is the only way of doing it. Anyways BIN image creation is not a big pain, so until someone makes a better app you'll have to live with it.

I don't know of any single ISO mastering & burning tool which is open source. cdrecord and mkisofs are, but they are separate tools.

Now a further comment on avih words regarding MCF-CD, to make things clear: due to a lack of communication with MCF team I thought that my tool was MCF-CD, Ingo's version compatible (which is just a simple ISO Bridge, XA Form2 CD, as shown in the MCF-CD page). So I called it MCF-CD, althought I knew that at its current stage it's a 100% standard format. Until now I had this idea because no one told me this wasn't true.

Now after some talk in #mcf channel Tronic made me understand that Ingo's version notes are far from complete, regarding the "MCF-CD" format. The "true" MCF-CD is a mixture between Tronic's version and Ingo's one.

So the tool I've done as well as the DShow filter avih is developing has nothing to do with the "true" MCF-CD format, it's just a standard XA Form2 ISO Bridge CD (as I already knew). Now I'll start working in the "true" MCF-CD and make a tool which is fully compliant. In fact this is good because MCF-CD is a more secure format, solves some problems with standard M2F2 (such as the inaccurate file end), and could even make things easier to implement (such as the content media type retrieving).

I'd like to put this clear on my homepage but I cannot login to the ftp server (seems some ISP problem ). I should also make clear that in its current state, this is just a test tool, which is not ready for the end user.

Oh I should note too that current Ingo's DS implementation isn't either MCF-CD compliant, because it loads from standard RIFF/CDXA file the same way our filter does (well at least this is what it seems to do because I haven't been able to make it work). I guess he was thinking in applyng some changes to it in future, to make it MCF-CD compliant, provided that this was his idea of MCF-CD of course.

(if I've missed something, any MCF team member should contact me ASAP)
Old 25th April 2002, 13:07   #56  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Quote:
Originally posted by DeXT (if I've missed something, any MCF team member should contact me ASAP)
No ! .. we're glad to have you in the team De-xt !!

Only thing to add : CDR-DAO is a GPL burning soft, and can burn from Cue/Bin . It can be found on the TSCV homepage http://www.ttool.de AFAIK ....

EDIT : No, its here : http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdrdao/
Old 25th April 2002, 13:24   #57  |  Link
Koepi

Hm, do I understand it right, it's going to be for MCF only?

I'm a little sad about this direction of development, but well, that's life, and that's exactly what Ingo writes about the "video coder community".

Anyways, good luck with it.
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 13:49   #58  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

koepi, come on. we have now MoreCD (at least that's leading the name poll), as a completely general solution for 800M storage on 80min cds. it's developing. no one is expected to start using this as of today.

just let both (MoreCD and mcf-cd) develop. i'm sure the community will prefere one over the other when they're both usable and more stable.

choice is good for consumer, as long as it's not turning into a war.

so far, there's no war, let's keep it this way

ppl are encouraged to try both when available, and decide which is better. u can't force a format, the one that will be more usable, will be more widespread. very simple.

best regards
avi
Old 25th April 2002, 14:04   #59  |  Link
oddball

I don't care what it's called or what flavor it comes in. I just want my MPEG4 variant (And/Or MP3) on 800MB CD that's readable on the fly correctly, easy to create and does not suffer from data loss problems.

Whoever gets there first and whatever it is called makes no difference to me

Side note: Anyone thought about contacting Ahead software who make Nero and asking for M2F2 as an extra advanced option for burning data?

Might be worth asking
Old 25th April 2002, 14:09   #60  |  Link
oddball

Oh one more thing. Can we have the toption to keep files kept with their same filenames within the bin file? I realise that the software used was modified from a VCD imaging application. But I presume you have the source material to be able to modify it so that the filenames are not all .dat extensions and can retain their original naming convention? How hard would this be to implement? Would it break the way in which the data in written?