Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

View Poll Results: Select one:
Chapters equal to those on the DVD 76 56.72%
AVI file support (avi to svcd) 48 35.82%
Movie database 1 0.75%
Just fix the damn bugs will you! 9 6.72%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26th October 2001, 14:10   #1  |  Link
dvd2svcd

******* What would you like in the next version *******

Select one of the above.

Last edited by dvd2svcd; 26th October 2001 at 14:35.
Old 26th October 2001, 14:39   #2  |  Link
DobbyPower

I voted for DVD chapters and got the following.

'The action you have attempted could not be performed as your session appears to be invalid. Click the below link to attempt this action again with a new session.' ( or vote for a different choice )

Are you trying to tell us something ?

p.s. New functions are much sexier than bug fixing, besides I've got bored, the last 3 DVD's I've done have worked first time, I've not had anything to tinker with.
Old 27th October 2001, 14:12   #3  |  Link
Kedirekin

Is avi file support encode *to* an avi (like divx)? Or is it encode *from* an avi (like a TV card capture)?
Old 27th October 2001, 15:37   #4  |  Link
dvd2svcd

avi to svcd
Old 27th October 2001, 22:04   #5  |  Link
d62ks821

...write in vote

Sure would be nice to have a way to not repeat steps you don't need to in the event you want to redo some portion of the process. There is already an option to not rip the the disk again, but how about including optional switch on other tabs as well, for example, DVD2AVI, audio rip, audio encode, subtitles (yes, i want subtitles but dont want to extact them again), ...

...maybe another way to skin the same cat: Could implement an optional "makefile" like behavior, i.e., dont recreate an output file for a particular processing step if it is newer than all the input files for that particular step, and just use it as is in subsequent processing. Person using this mode would simple delete the files they wants to have rebuilt, then rerun DVD2SVCD.
Old 27th October 2001, 22:22   #6  |  Link
gldblade
XviD Junkie

Just an idea

This is just a small idea. I like they way how DVD2SVCDs can recover from crashes. But that gives me an idea. You store in the file the last part that finished. What if you could give the user control over where in the process to start and stop so that it doesn't have to run all at once through the encoding process? I'm sure that would be a timesaver for many.

And sorry if you've already heard this one, but I can't find a feature request like this that's already posted on this board.
Old 28th October 2001, 00:38   #7  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

er, guys, I am confused. Isn't this in the drop down under the crash recovery button or I am tired, confused and misreading your posts.
Old 28th October 2001, 03:15   #8  |  Link
Kedirekin

@dvd2svcd

Cool. Thanks! (looks like it's not getting many votes though :`( )
Old 28th October 2001, 04:35   #9  |  Link
gldblade
XviD Junkie

>er, guys, I am confused. Isn't this in the drop down under the crash recovery button or I am tired, confused and misreading your posts.

I mean to basically give the user control. For example, if I wanted to stop right after the audio encoding. I wouldn't want to wait until audio encoding is done to stop/crash it. Instead, it would be nice to say, "stop after so and so point in the process". And then continue it later.

That way, you can break the process into multiple pieces and do them at different times.

But now that I think of it, that's kinda pointless.
Old 29th October 2001, 21:59   #10  |  Link
meisterproppa

video preview...

I hope that anytime this feature will come in one of the next versions.
Great work at all...

DVD2SVCD is the best program to create a Svcd all over the world..

:-))
Old 1st November 2001, 09:25   #11  |  Link
MrFaust

how about updating to the new AviSynth

from what i hear it has increased speed dramatically on ivtc processing
Old 2nd November 2001, 18:22   #12  |  Link
sandchar99

Weighing in on this matter....

DVD2SVCD, the program, has made my DVD backup so much easier for me and I am grateful.

I hope that anyone who is reading this thread about future features should highly consider making a donation to DVD2SVCD, the programmer, through his website - to encourage him to keep up the great work that he has already done to this date.

I would also like to take this opportunity to campaign for the following feature: AVI to SVCD.

The reason? Even though the DVD2SVCD program is ostensibly to be used for DVD backup, we must accept the fact that possibly it is being used in other ways, i.e. to make copies of DVDs that were not bought (rented or borrowed). Also, perhaps the most critical component, CCE 2.5, is being obtained, sometimes in less than legal fashion.

With this in mind, to have the ability to easily convert home movies (Digital Video (DV) which is in AVI format) would at least allow those of us to make use of these powerful tools, DVD2SVCD and CCE, to more creative ends (and add some legitamacy) rather than merely simplify DVD backup.

Thanks.

PS I am not usually this "preachy"
Old 2nd November 2001, 18:51   #13  |  Link
Mikldom

user control selectable

I kinda like the previous suggestion of allowing user control.

I would like to see a 'automatic' function (to keep going till its done), and then a function to prompt to begin next process.. that way if we are playing on the net, or playing a game or something... we won't mess up the process when the program is trying to send keystrokes..

Then be able to mark the auto/user control at any time... that way, when a dvd is ripping with Vstrip, I can go play diablo or something, and when it is done, it will then do a pop up to continue... that way I won't screw up a keystroke send..

I would like to process movies 24-7... I have cable modem at home and at the office, I can control either computer via remote control and both have dvd drives in there......

i know that it makes more sense to just process at night when I am in bed... but I want to process during the day too..

I (like most here) run Win2k pro.. I wish there was a way of "Protecting" that process or give it a "virtual machine" to run on.. that way, I can minimize the "virtual machine" and it will process and need no input..

Just some ideas..

Oh, I love the program!!!! the only dvd I have had syncing issues with to date is "The Usual Suspects" I will just process it manual and let it cut out the "PolyGram" logo.. and the sound on the disc is only 192 2_0 (not ac3 5.1 channel).....

Talk to you soon.

Mike
mikldom@yahoo.com
Old 3rd November 2001, 13:50   #14  |  Link
jmspaggi

Existing .vob on the drive ...

I explain my problem ...

I'm encoding a DVD, 2 hours films, with files from VTS_03_1.vob to VTS_03_7.vob ... After, I'm encoding another DVD, about 1 hour only from files VTS_03_1.vob to VTS_03_4.vob ... I'm not deleting existing files ... Wat's append ? The result for the second film is 1 hour films from the second films, and after, one other hour of film, from the first film !!! Is it possible to add a pop-up windows, when begenning encoding, for alter if ther is alwais existing .vobs files with the same name ?

(I hope that you understant what I mean ...)

JMS
Old 3rd November 2001, 14:24   #15  |  Link
Mozart
DVD2SVCD Former Moderator

Why cannot you just delete all files before to begin another encoding?

btw: this is a newbie question-request. This thread is not about new request. Next time, choose the right place to post.
Old 3rd November 2001, 14:52   #16  |  Link
jmspaggi

Of course, I can delete it ! But when I forgot, and I wait 12 hours for a result, and I see it's not the good result because I have forgoten, it's a shame ! A little popup will help to prevent ...

JMS
Old 4th November 2001, 22:44   #17  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

My vote for a future ability/option is a way to keep the DVD2SVCD log file from being overwritten when you use crash recovery. It would sure help diagnose any problems if we could view a log from the beginning. Currently if you choose crash recovery the log file is deleted/overwritten. If it can't append then how about renaming the file to DVD2SVCD_Log.old or something?

Sorry if I was only suppose to choose from the listed items.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 5th November 2001, 11:44   #18  |  Link
Harp

AVI support - ARE YOU SURE???

Hi, DVD2SVCD Community!

First of all...thanks to DVD2SVCD for this very useful program. It saves time, it really does, and this is what computers are for, right? :-) (A remark: those of you who would really like to thank DVD2SVCD should look at his page and click on the small "Donate" Button...)

The nice thing about DVD2SVCD is that (provided that people do not "mess" with the CCE settings and keep the bitrate in a reasonable range, so basically if you leave all settings as they are) you have some kind of "standardized quality". Because the source is DVD and kind of most DVDs are of good quality. And in most cases you will get very nice quality for your SVCDs with the comfort of switching languages and having optional subtitles.

Imagine what will happen when you have AVI support. People will certainly try converting these ugly 1-CD-full-of-macroblacks-uncropped-Div-whatever-so-called-Movies that you can download with almost all sharing tools. Or you get this so called "Screeners" where somebody has used his 300$ Digital Videocamera to get 320x240 "Hardcopy" of the movie and then resized it to 640x480... Yes, really, there so much crap on the Internet, you all know.

Now just imagine, this will be converted to SVCD with DVD2SVCD. Such a superior program, wasted to convert crap...and of course if you convert crap you will just get crap.

And then a lot of people will start complaining about the quality regardless of the source and that they actually *expected* that a SVCD is better quality even if the source is below-VCD quality...

Well, I don't want to complain (not at all)! I would even find it useful to convert some of my good 2 or 3-CDs MPEG4 copies to SVCD. But for the sake of this community it might be better if DVD2SVCD is still DVD2SVCD and not AVI2SVCD or CRAP2SVCD... ;-)

Just a thought...nothing more.

Cheers,
Harp

Last edited by Harp; 5th November 2001 at 11:48.
Old 5th November 2001, 11:52   #19  |  Link
dvd2svcd

@Harp:

I hear you and I know what you mean. My main reason for making it possible is however to help the people who has a DV cam. Many would like the ability to make their homevideos to SVCD and be able to use their DVD player to see the home video. I know the AVI2SVCD possibility will make it possible to make crap2svcd, but if people really wants to do that, well then that is their loss not our. Anyway, I will add a little txt file to the images noting that this svcd was made from an AVI file. This however will only work when the user selects to make cd images.
Old 5th November 2001, 17:58   #20  |  Link
sandchar99

Amen.

You said it, brother!

That is what I was saying in a message above -- DV (home video AVIs) to SVCD.

I completely forgot about other AVI formats (MPEG4 (DivX))that could be converted to SVCD. Whoops.
Closed Thread