Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 6th April 2007, 01:40   #241  |  Link
Eretria-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
I would like to know if its possible to add a funcfion to BENCOS that calculates the hh:mm:ss total of episodes dragged to it. I use windows media player 10 to get the total time and megui's bitrate calculator to bitrate. If BENCOS could at least give me this total time, I could install windows media player 11 (which didn't give me the time in seconds :P). I don't know if it's possible to add a calculator, but that would be great. Something like: add 12 episodes, total time 4 hours, 39 minutes and 36 seconds; desired final size (I would give this): 596.4MB (49.7MBx12). Bitrate that should be used: XXX. :'( :'( Wonderful!!!

It's very hard to implement this, like in megui? I just think that would help a lot!!!

How do you do Stéphane, use a standard bitrate for every anime?
Bitrate is easy to calculate, and aren't there lots of bitrate calc tools out there? Video bitrate / 8 * length (in seconds) + Audio bitrate / 8 * length (in seconds) = size of the final file (in KB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weltall View Post

RA5 calculator didn't give me right bitrate, thanks anyway. I think I'll stick with this process I'm familiar to

I have this size problems cause I always want to use a full dvd, I thought you could just do the same thing but you had a better solution to calculate.

I think the only thing missing now is an encode list recording after closing (maybe a save list like in RA5) and drag and drop

OK then, I'm just happy with it.
Then why not just encode files until you have enough to fill a DVD?

@Sirber:
Maybe this is a silly question, but why use this FreePascal or whatever the name of the langauge was? You're moving from a weird language to another weirder.
C/C++ is standard for most apps, then VB and maybe Delphi, but why this new language? Wouldn't it be easier to use another, like the good old Delphi?
Eretria-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 01:50   #242  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

FreePascal can compile and run on all major operating system, with no fancy coding. It's as easy as Delphi to code, since as Delphi, it is Pascal. Currently Bencos gets more successful encodes than RealAnime.

Also, before trying Lazarus, I tried C# (xAnime), mono (unsuccessful) and RealBasic.

Also, like all my project, whatever the language I use, I always end up being the only one coding it.
Old 6th April 2007, 02:02   #243  |  Link
Eretria-chan

I sense the problem you see is that C/C++ may be cross-platform, but with a lot of it would require a lot of seperate coding for GUI on different platforms? And maybe it's just too complicated for you? / Or you just don't think it's easy enough to be worth the time?
But maybe and just maybe you might get more to join in? Don't know.
So where's Sharktooth? Hiding in the shadows?

What I'd really like right now is to save the encoding list (which you mentioned could be fixed easily? Terrific!) and less problems with those sources that aren't haven't the right Audio Frequency (< 44 HKz?).

It may just be me, but it seems you've just started over with new versions of your GUI from ground up with little changes.
Ah well, Bencos is doing its job, so I guess that's good. You're still doing a good job and there are those who like your software.
Old 6th April 2007, 12:14   #244  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eretria-chan View Post
I sense the problem you see is that C/C++ may be cross-platform, but with a lot of it would require a lot of seperate coding for GUI on different platforms? And maybe it's just too complicated for you? / Or you just don't think it's easy enough to be worth the time?
But maybe and just maybe you might get more to join in? Don't know.
Tell me more about your GUI... Mine's been working after 5h of work. What about yours? Is C++ that worth? Did it run on linux?

Quote:
So where's Sharktooth? Hiding in the shadows?
Busy with RL?

http://www.getafirstlife.com/

Quote:
What I'd really like right now is to save the encoding list (which you mentioned could be fixed easily? Terrific!) and less problems with those sources that aren't haven't the right Audio Frequency (< 44 HKz?).
Those will be fixed. When? When I get time.

Quote:
It may just be me, but it seems you've just started over with new versions of your GUI from ground up with little changes.
Well, I think that no audio sync problems is the most wanted new feature, which sickened me in RA4/5. Since the project is not dead, more features will come.

I think you are ranting because I don't release builds fast enough. Better stop coz it is going nowhere but on my nerves.
Old 6th April 2007, 12:24   #245  |  Link
Eretria-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirber View Post
Tell me more about your GUI... Mine's been working after 5h of work. What about yours? Is C++ that worth? Did it run on linux?
The sweetness lies in the code, not the workings of the program. To make advanced code and connect it together into a wonderful GUI is what's best for what I like.
5 hours? Probably takes longer since I do a lot of advanced stuff. Sure, I could get a working GUI in 5 hours if I wanted to.
And I don't have Linux and I don't use it, so I can't really comment on whether it'd work there. And I don't do builds for Linux either. I use Windows. But doesn't there exist... say, Wine?

Quote:
Busy with RL?
Sharktooth joined your project, no? I was hinting at that - that's all. If everything turns out okay, I guess he'll be back when he gets the time.

Quote:
Those will be fixed. When? When I get time.
Of course it will. Take your time.

Quote:
Well, I think that no audio sync problems is the most wanted new feature, which sickened me in RA4/5. Since the project is not dead, more features will come.
I never had such issues... to my knowledge anyway.

Quote:
I think you are ranting because I don't release builds fast enough. Better stop coz it is going nowhere but on my nerves.
No, not ranting. As I mentioned, BENCOS is working. Sure, fixing the audio could help me the encode the sources that fails to encode now, but there are always OTHER sources that can be encoded in the meantime.
Sure, to save the encoding list would be nice so you don't have to re-add everything all the time would be nice, but the program still works even without it.

Hey, prioritize and take your time to code the thing. Releases are exciting. That's all.
Old 6th April 2007, 12:42   #246  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Thanks for explaining, I guess I mis-interpreted your posts
Old 6th April 2007, 15:07   #247  |  Link
Eretria-chan

No problem.
Remember that news about dev is also interesting, so that's another thing to keep one interested rather than a release
Real life is import, and so is being able to do other things, so you should do well to take your time. I know this lesson well, and I respect it.
I respect authors of programs. You will release when you think it's time
Old 6th April 2007, 15:10   #248  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

I post dev news and stuff in my own forum, as well as bugs and problem I and users encounter.
Old 6th April 2007, 15:50   #249  |  Link
Eretria-chan

You do indeed (and it's very interesting!), and I usually keep an eye on the board, but usually post stuff here.
Old 7th April 2007, 00:58   #250  |  Link
Weltall

Quote:
Bitrate is easy to calculate, and aren't there lots of bitrate calc tools out there? Video bitrate / 8 * length (in seconds) + Audio bitrate / 8 * length (in seconds) = size of the final file (in KB).
Silly answer. The only bitrate calculator that worked fine for me was Megui's, wich always give some more kbps than I get manually (4-5), and it's always precisely right. And if I had to calculate manually, the purpose of batch and faster encoding would be lost, for me.

I want a calculator that I could drop 1.000.000.000 episodes to it, insert the total size I wanted and it'd give me the bitrate I had to use for every episodes, not for a single file and I don't want to calculate manually (45500GB*1024*1024*8)/lenght (in seconds, more stuff to calculate) - 32kbps for audio to know the video bitrate I have to use for 45500GB...

Quote:
Then why not just encode files until you have enough to fill a DVD?
Because it could be lasting 48MB of space in a DVD, and the last episode I wanted to put in it was 48.1MB... Btw, I want 90 episodes for each DVD (if I use the same bitrate for every single file, I didn't know how many I could burn), so I get the total bitrate of files and share bitrate properly, for each episodes, accordingly with its length.

Some animes have the same length for every episodes, some have very different durations. If there is 90 episodes of ~23-24 minutes, the quality will be better than 90 of ~24-25:30min. For ~30 minutes series, 55.8-9MB each - 80/DVD. The same for series, 149.1MB for 30 episodes.

That's my point: if I calculate bitrate for each file separately, long eps would be worst than short eps; if I use the same bitrate, I could lose a significant space in a DVD. I like to use every single byte in mines, I like to have full seasons of series/animes on them, I'm very precise with all this, and I had no problem until now...
Old 7th April 2007, 18:32   #251  |  Link
Eretria-chan

Using constant bitrate will make sure you get good quality across all episodes. But if you really want to fit 90 eps on one DVD...
Old 9th April 2007, 04:36   #252  |  Link
Weltall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirber View Post
Get a UPS and beer

List save / load should take more than 10 lines. I'll try to make it this weekend.
Well, I have an UPS, but I hate beer, it tastes disguting for me, I prefer wine and vodka
Quote:
Using constant bitrate will make sure you get good quality across all episodes. But if you really want to fit 90 eps on one DVD...
I do use constant bitrate. Like I said before, the only thing I do is to calculate bitrate for various episodes at once, assuring that 90 eps will fit in 4.37GB. The same bitrate is used for them, something between 268-255kbps, depending on the total length (if I mix some small episodes with big ones, bitrate will be balanced ). In the end, some episodes are 51MB, some 47.6MB. The quality is always good.

Last edited by Weltall; 9th April 2007 at 04:45.
Weltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 14:34   #253  |  Link
Eretria-chan

Ah, I mis-understood! You're trying to mix long and short episodes so there will be 90 episodes on a DVD... pretty clever!
And you need a calc to know that X episodes of Y bitrate and Z episodes of A bitrate, etc, etc you must use to make sure you get 90 episodes and they take up just enough space to fill a DVD...
Old 25th April 2007, 02:15   #254  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

for those not going on my forum, there's a new version out

www.detritus.qc.ca
Old 30th July 2007, 09:36   #255  |  Link
Spilt_milk

does bencos work with vista 64
Spilt_milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 12:11   #256  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

yes, be sure to run as administrator though. Else try RealAnime 6 (nothing special to do).
They will run in 32bit though.
Old 25th November 2007, 23:22   #257  |  Link
sillKotscha
what's this for?

diggin' out this thread

I'm playing around with flash for a while now. As it is the de facto webvideo standard at the moment I'm always looking around for some good encoding tools.

with AutoMen it is very easy to create flash videos even for novices but there is one disadvantage of AutoMen. It does rely on MEncoder and don't uses vfw. Even though the result is really impressive as MEncoder is only able to encode to FLV1 (Flash 6).

Than your RealAnime 6 came back into my mind and I remember you saying that maybe RealAnime will be the first free FLV batch encoder as you could integrate On2's VP6 VFW Codec - which is FLV4 (Flash 8) and uses VP62 Heightened Sharpness Profile.

I guess the last free (for personal use) version floating around is "VP6 vfw Codec 6.4.2.0". As sh0dan said no one knows why it is no longer offerered at On2's website, it is still possible to find it

Speaking of sh0dan brings up his interesting blog articel. He's showing how to encode Flash 8 FLV via Command Line.

Well, that works very, very well quality wise as I have tried it out here. But it is a bit tedious if you ask me... even though better than nothing, as it works.

As developement of RealAnime 6 is dead (?) do you think you could nonetheless spend some time integrating FLV4 (Flash 8) via On2's VP6 VFW Codec into BENCOS? If not you in person maybe one of the other developers of BENCOS?

I guess I would not be the only one looking forward seeing a FLV4 (Flash 8) encoder suite all others cost $$ (Flix Pro for example)...

thanks in advance

/ sill

Last edited by sillKotscha; 26th November 2007 at 00:55.
sillKotscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 15:40   #258  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

VP6 VFW is not properly easy to configure since it stores the codec configuration in binary format into the registry.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 15:46   #259  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

@sillKotscha

No one devs bencos or ra6 beside me. Sharktooth left long ago whitout news.
About VP6, I tried to find a way to modify the settings in the registry, but I don't have the struct and it's hard for nothing.
Old 26th November 2007, 16:20   #260  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

yup. i got some troubles and im sorry i didnt post any news on your forum coz i lost the svn and forum accounts info. im also no longer on MSN... so...

Last edited by Sharktooth; 26th November 2007 at 16:24.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, bencos, gui, webm, x264