Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 7th February 2011, 07:08   #1  |  Link
sdla4ever

Blu-Ray To M4V Questions

Ok well I was pretty good at ripping DVD's in my own opinion, but then I got my Blu-Ray reader and figured it would be easy so I started messing around first couple rips went ehh. But then I saw handbrakes new release supported Blu-Rays and I grabbed that.

Long story short I have a few questions.

1) What size would you expect a blu-ray movie to be, (ie. How many GB per hour of runtime in a M4V file)?

2) My files will not play on my computer if I go over like 4000 MBs filesize. I tried to play them with MPC, VLC, and QT. Why is this?

3) Now that I have a PS3 what way would be the best for mass storage while retaining quality for my blu-ray rips?

Thank you!
sdla4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 07:25   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!
Quote:
I got my Blu-Ray reader and figured it would be easy so I started messing around first couple rips went ehh.
1) What software and procedures did you use?

2) Please define "ehh"...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 07:33   #3  |  Link
sdla4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Hi!

1) What software and procedures did you use?

2) Please define "ehh"...
1) RipBot264 and AnyDVD

2) Well when I chose which video file it wasn't matching the audio up perfectly, it was choosing the audio from the special features.

I have not tried it again since handbrake came out with this version due to ease of use.

Thank you for the quick response
Old 7th February 2011, 08:29   #4  |  Link
sneaker_ger

1.) most people seem to be aiming for about 2 GB per hour and resize their footage to 720p. Using constant quality mode with a value of 18 also seems very popular.
2.) Have you tried to activate "Large file size" in Handbrake?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 08:11   #5  |  Link
sdla4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
1.) most people seem to be aiming for about 2 GB per hour and resize their footage to 720p. Using constant quality mode with a value of 18 also seems very popular.
2.) Have you tried to activate "Large file size" in Handbrake?
That seems reasonable at 2GB per hour, but why the re-sizing?

And no I totally overlooked that option I didn't think it would help I'll give it a try in a day or too when I get a new blu ray to rip.
Old 8th February 2011, 09:47   #6  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdla4ever View Post
2) My files will not play on my computer if I go over like 4000 MBs filesize. I tried to play them with MPC, VLC, and QT. Why is this?
Sounds like a FAT32 limitation. Try NTFS, unless you have W98 or older.
Old 9th February 2011, 02:18   #7  |  Link
sdla4ever

Im using NTFS, this is on my RAID1 array for storage so it's not the file system.
Old 9th February 2011, 02:33   #8  |  Link
setarip_old

@sdla4ever

You've not completely answered my first question - What procedures did you use?

Are you creating true Blu-ray compliant files or AVCHD files? I ask because AVCHD files (for playback) are limited to a maximum individual filesize of 4GB - and, if I remember correctly, there's the same limitation regarding USB-connected drives...
Old 9th February 2011, 09:21   #9  |  Link
sdla4ever

I was ripping the disc to mp4, IDK what was happening between. What is the difference between the two types?
Old 12th February 2011, 08:17   #10  |  Link
sdla4ever

Ok tried the constant quality and large file size options. They came out looking great, kinda big at 9 GB for 2 hours but ill see about limiting the file size now.

But anyDVD HD just seems to stop working now with certain blu rays, I have the newest version.
Old 14th February 2011, 14:59   #11  |  Link
Peer van Heuen
SlySoft Team Member

Quote:
But anyDVD HD just seems to stop working now with certain blu rays, I have the newest version.
Can you be a little more specific about the "stop working" part?
Old 14th February 2011, 19:54   #12  |  Link
setarip_old

@Peer van Heuen

Hi!

It would be my speculation that "sdla4ever" has just discovered that the trial version of AnyDVDHD is both limited to 21 days use and, far more importantly, is crippled regarding a great many Blu-ray discs based on the AACS key number - I believe it's works only with releases using AACS 10 or older.
Old 15th February 2011, 16:20   #13  |  Link
Peer van Heuen
SlySoft Team Member

Quote:
@Peer van Heuen

Hi!

It would be my speculation that "sdla4ever" has just discovered that the trial version of AnyDVDHD is both limited to 21 days use and, far more importantly, is crippled regarding a great many Blu-ray discs based on the AACS key number - I believe it's works only with releases using AACS 10 or older.
That's incredible nonsense (and I wonder where you got that "AACS 10" from - wild guess? Do you honestly believe we would restrict the trial usage to discs before early 2009?!?). If that were true, we could just as well dump the whole trial altogether.

The trial supports all discs that were known up to the release date of the respective version - including anything up to (currently) MKB21.
Considering that updates come out very frequently, that hardly ever causes a problem. In the rare cases, when it does, we often even release an update just to make those people happy.
That includes those who have been using the trial for years, now...

So I strongly recommend, you refain from using the word crippled. There's no crippling going on at all.
Please be careful when making such "guesses" based on pretty much no information at all in public. Next thing is we're reading "I recently read that AnyDVD..." all over the internet.

EDIT: additional note though: cracked versions do usually show strange behavior, like not handling most discs correctly - not saying that it's the case here, impossible to say with more information.
@sdla4ever: I suggest you contact us directly or post your trouble (with more detail, please) at http://forum.slysoft.com - this may not be the right forum for that kind of troubleshooting.

Last edited by Peer van Heuen; 15th February 2011 at 16:34.
Peer van Heuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 21:24   #14  |  Link
setarip_old

@Peer van Heuen

Hi!

I would hope that you'd know me better by now.

I based my post here on postings I read at the Slysoft Forum, and although I have not yet located the original post I based my posting on, here are three others I've just tracked down again (that don't refer to AACS 10):

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread....57&postcount=1

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...69&postcount=2

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...73&postcount=9

I'll continue to try to once again locate the specific post - and if my statement that "I believe it's works only with releases using AACS 10 or older." proves to be inaccurate or not specifically supported, I'll apologize for that.

On the other hand, it still is the case that the trial version is limited to 21 days, isn't it? - and during that period, as many as three new AACS/MKB keys (e.g MKB19, MKB20, MKB21) could appear on multiple Blu-ray releases (not limited to major releases)...

**EDIT** Peer, With my profuse apology, I hope you'll get as much of a laugh out of this as I just did. I apparently mixed apples and oranges in my rapidly aging cranium! - The AACS/MKB10 limitation I referred to is applicable to "DVDFab Passkey Lite", the post trial version of "DVDFab Passkey" ;>}

(BTW - "Flipping two bits/bytes" also works with today's release of "Unstoppable" ;>} )

Last edited by setarip_old; 18th February 2011 at 02:28. Reason: add'l info
Old 18th February 2011, 01:48   #15  |  Link
sdla4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer van Heuen View Post
Can you be a little more specific about the "stop working" part?
No for some reason a certain movie just turns anydvd off, such as The American
Old 19th February 2011, 11:03   #16  |  Link
Peer van Heuen
SlySoft Team Member

Quote:

On the other hand, it still is the case that the trial version is limited to 21 days, isn't it? - and during that period, as many as three new AACS/MKB keys (e.g MKB19, MKB20, MKB21) could appear on multiple Blu-ray releases (not limited to major releases)...
As I said, it happens occasionally, that a trial can't handle a very new disc.
BUT: these occurrences mostly fall into two rare cases:

1. the user has a BD way before street date
2. the BD is an exotic one

AnyDVD normally contains the keys for the popular discs weeks before they "street".

Quote:
**EDIT** Peer, With my profuse apology, I hope you'll get as much of a laugh out of this as I just did. I apparently mixed apples and oranges in my rapidly aging cranium! - The AACS/MKB10 limitation I referred to is applicable to "DVDFab Passkey Lite", the post trial version of "DVDFab Passkey" ;>}

Quote:
No for some reason a certain movie just turns anydvd off, such as The American
You mean as in "icon turns grey"? Do you happen to have another DVD related software installed, like MyMovies? (There is a semi-official API to temporarily disable AnyDVD and some 3rd party software makes use of it - it has been reported a few times that these programs sometimes "forget" to reenable AnyDVD).

Otherwise, you really may want to contact our support directly: http://www.slysoft.com/en/contact.html
I don't think we're all too welcome here troubleshooting AnyDVD, it's not the purpose of this forum.