Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 19th March 2006, 22:42   #1  |  Link
Kerfin

Adding/replacing subtitles without decompiling

Hi, is there ANY way to add/replace subtitles on a DVD without decompiling it?

I have never had this kind of problem before, but for some reason this dvd it seems to be impossible to extract the video stream correctly. It is always messed up, no matter what app I use, the duration of the .m2v is usually shorter depending on the app then it is supposed to be. When making a backup on my HD using either DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink, the backup plays fine. So must be when decompiling. I have tried everything, vobedit, ifoedit, VOB2MPG, TMPGenc Editor, PGCdemux, DGindex and many others. I even tried converting the vobs to avi using virtualdubmod.

The sound and subtitle tracks are fine and perfectly synch'ed. I've tried everything I know and I'm getting pretty desperate... The movie is Grizzly Man and I am trying to add french subtitles. We're playing it at a small movie theather I work at, starting this friday. It has to have french subtitles.

Any ideas?
Kerfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 23:58   #2  |  Link
mpucoder

Use ReStream to remove the Sequence end headers (Seq. End Codes) before authoring, this is the usual cause of m2v's appearing to be shorter than they should be. Or you could use an application that ignores seq_end like MuxMan or DVDPlanner.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 00:41   #3  |  Link
Kerfin

Thank you for the fast response. I have just tried removing the Seq. End Codes using Restream and the stream seems identical after, it still is missing about 22 minutes.

I will see about using DVD Planner / MuxMan.
Old 20th March 2006, 03:55   #4  |  Link
Jeffster

Well, I usually extract the video and audio streams from the movie using DVDDecrypter in IFO mode, with Enable Stream Processing activated and setting "demux" for the video and audio streams....

Remember to temporarily change the File Splitting option in IFO mode to "none" instead of 1 GB while you do this, to create a single file for authoring.

May be worth trying?

Last edited by Jeffster; 20th March 2006 at 04:20.
Jeffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 05:34   #5  |  Link
Kerfin

Yes I have tried this. I forgot to mention that when I try to demux directly using DVD Decrypter or TMPGenc MPEG Editor it just stops and says I don't have enough space. But I have 100gig + of free space on a NTFS partition.

What I don't understand is that I can backup the disk using DVD Shrink, remove everything besides the main movie then burn/play it without problems. But when trying to demux it just won't work.
Old 20th March 2006, 21:42   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

@Kerfin

Hi!

Are you sure you aren't inadvertently selecting the videostream of the extra documentary that's included on the DVD?:
Quote:
"In the Edges: The Grizzly Man Session," a 50-minute documentary on the making of the film's music
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 23:28   #7  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

You said you've a NTFS partition, but.... are you demuxing the videofile in this partition?. Demuxing a video file larger than 4GB in a FAT32 partition probably will show the problems you're describing...

Does the size of all the demuxed streams match the original PGC size?

jsoto
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2006, 05:54   #8  |  Link
Kerfin

I did rip the movie only, which is 1h44mins long.

Yes, I do use a NTFS partition. The reason I mentionned it is because I know the problem could be caused by demuxing to a FAT32 one.

Also, the steams did match the PGC size. This is some crazy puzzle.

Well, I was about to forget about all this when I finally found a way. In DVDauthor (with DVDauthorGUI), rather than importing the demuxed m2v/ac3 files into my project, I tried directly importing the VOB files. It works fine, the only problem is that you can only import the first VOB file which unfortunaly does not contain the whole movie. The other VOBs do not contain the necessary informations (NAV packets or something like, whatever that is) and DVDauthor won't accept them.

So what I did is this: In DVDshrink you can select the begining/end inside of a title you want to keep and rip. So now I have the movie split in 5 parts, each part being no longer than about 20 minutes so it would'nt result in more than one VOB file. I also had to make sure I wasn't splitting while a subtitle is displaying.

Now all that's left to do is to split the .srt into 5 parts and resynch each one to fit the VOBs.

Thank you all for your help!

Kerfin.

Last edited by Kerfin; 22nd March 2006 at 05:57.
Old 22nd March 2006, 06:54   #9  |  Link
setarip_old

If you're going to resort to that, it should be MUCH simpler to re-rip the DVD AS ONE .VOB, using either DVD Decrypter (in "File mode", select "movie files") or DVD Shrink...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2006, 21:30   #10  |  Link
Kerfin

Wow. Sometimes I'm such an idiot. I did'nt know about that option and didnt realize I could do that in DVDShrink.

Thanks !