Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 21st June 2007, 01:06   #1  |  Link
ShaneZ
Tuna of the Dirt

DVD Decrypter alternatives

Admittedly I have been out of the scene since right about the time LightningUK! was forced to stop development on DVDDecrypter which has been ages. I have been running off the last version I had for the longest time, but some of the newer copy-protection schemes do not play well with it.

The disc I started noticing this on is Stranger than Fiction (R1) and I have tried some of the other programs I could find (DVD43) and I still haven't come up with a viable image.

Are there any updated decrypters out there?
Old 21st June 2007, 01:13   #2  |  Link
philco

dvdfabhddecrypter is a free decrypter that is updated all the time you can dl at dvdfab.com/free
philco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 01:39   #3  |  Link
ShaneZ
Tuna of the Dirt

Thanks for the prompt reply. I just found that one by accident right when you replied.

Thanks!
Old 21st June 2007, 04:21   #4  |  Link
linx05

DVDFab Decrypter and AnyDVD are the only major active ones left.
linx05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 08:15   #5  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

RipIt4Me is still a very useful freeware application, although it has also been forced to cease development. The last I heard, there had been no new copy protection schemes released since then, so it should currently handle any disk out there.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 09:39   #6  |  Link
linx05

RipIt4Me cannot handle the new Protect DVD copy-protection. Though it can handle pretty much any other with ease.
Old 21st June 2007, 16:44   #7  |  Link
setarip_old

And, in all fairness, it should be noted that only a VERY FEW (a handful, at most) DVDs have been released in a VERY LIMITED market (Germany) with "Protect DVD" copy protection, in the several months since it first appeared.

Therefore, with VERY LITTLE exception, RipIt4Me continues to be a viable, thorough, flexible and easy-to-use tool for making backups of your pruchased DVDs...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 18:04   #8  |  Link
Rich86

Protect DVD

And I keep hearing there are compatibility issues with dvd's that are polluted with "Protect DVD" in standalone players - so if you get one - test it thoroughly in case it has to be returned as defective. Personally, if it is clearly marked as "Protect DVD" - I won't buy it. And if I get one home that turns out to be "Protect DVD" and it does not function 100% in all computers, drives and players, it will be returned.
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 17:33   #9  |  Link
ShaneZ
Tuna of the Dirt

Well, I have not checked out AnyDVD yet, but I did like the free version of DVDFab HD Decrypter. I have tried to find an actual working link for RipIt4Me, but I am kinda stuck in my ways as far as creating DVDs.

Things have come a long way since the days of the "Big 3". I am still kinda amazed that I can make a dvd in an hour where it used to take a day.
Old 23rd June 2007, 04:16   #10  |  Link
linx05

A link for RipIt4Me can be found in post 6 of this thread.
Old 28th June 2007, 07:04   #11  |  Link
rabidjade

Was it me or was DVDFab HD Decrypter always a 30 day trial type of software? I just upgraded and don't remember the 30 day trial prompt last month when I installed it.
rabidjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 07:49   #12  |  Link
linx05

There is the free version (http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm) and the Platinum/Gold editions (http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm).
Old 28th June 2007, 07:50   #13  |  Link
rabidjade

Yea, I downloaded the gold version by mistake. Whoops. I recommend it to anyone though.
rabidjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 12:02   #14  |  Link
Dr.Khron

I backed up my R1 copy of "Stranger Then Fiction" with RitItForMe... worked great!

I still recomend this program for people in R1. There hasn't been a disc yet thats given it trouble. (for me here in R1, any way)

I like RipItForMe a lot, I'll be pissed off when they finally start using a new copy protectin here in the States that it can't handle. Until then, I'm happy as a clam.
Dr.Khron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 20:38   #15  |  Link
BSpielbauer

I have only come across one disc to date that RipIt4Me could not handle (and I know that these are still the very rare exceptions.

I do recommend DVDFabDecrypter as the "still being updated" tool of choice.

-Bruce
Old 1st July 2007, 22:40   #16  |  Link
MetalheadGautham

I dunno if this may help, but you can always download the free version of alcohol 52%, and mount the image created using it with daemon tools, and VOILA! you just ripped a DVD...

but beware that sometimes the images are larger than the disc and you can't burn using alcohol 52%. I suggest burning that image file to a dvd(dual layer if nessasary), and if you want, also place an installer of daemon tools in the same(some are quite paranoid about some formats).
Old 1st July 2007, 23:29   #17  |  Link
prOnorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
I dunno if this may help, but you can always download the free version of alcohol 52%, and mount the image created using it with daemon tools, and VOILA! you just ripped a DVD...

but beware that sometimes the images are larger than the disc and you can't burn using alcohol 52%. I suggest burning that image file to a dvd(dual layer if nessasary), and if you want, also place an installer of daemon tools in the same(some are quite paranoid about some formats).

Allcohol 52% is an emulator only so it won't rip discs. Maybe you meant Alcohol 120% which can duplicate CD's/DVD's (mainly software). Though I guess it won't help much because on their main site it states: *Due to the present legal restrictions DVD titles protected with CSS protection can not be backed up.

DVD Fab HD Decrypter works for me. Actually I have used it recently on a DVD that was scratched and wouldn't rip 100%: meaning I could rip the VOB's with the main movie but the sectors containing the VOB's some of the extras were not readable. DVDShrink couldn't open the (incomplete) DVD, but DVDFab opened it without a problem. So I was at least able so save the main movie and back it up again
prOnorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:22   #18  |  Link
mr soft

Donīt quote me but, I vaguley remember reading that with alcohol on your system a few cds dvds wonīt play (I think mostly games)
They actually seek it before attempting playback.

Anyway ripit4me has been very good to me , It only coughed on de ja vu, and planet of the apes, For which I used fab.

R.I.P ripit4me updates.
mr soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:06   #19  |  Link
ShaneZ
Tuna of the Dirt

Well, I tried installing Alcohol 120% on my Vista system one time and I can promise it is not something I will try again any time in the near future. They may have the BSoD problem fixed now, but I am not inclined to find out.

The last time I tried to install Daemon tools they had it packaged with some spyware-type stuff. It was a sad day because I used to love Daemon tools. Now I just mount images using PowerISO.

I switched to DVDFab HD Decoder for decrypting and ImgBurn for burning. I'd still be using Lightning UK!s decrypter but it was crashing on some DVDs and Vista didn't like it, much. :/
Old 8th July 2007, 21:13   #20  |  Link
ToddG

Quote:
Originally Posted by prOnorama View Post

Allcohol 52% is an emulator only so it won't rip discs. Maybe you meant Alcohol 120% which can duplicate CD's/DVD's (mainly software). Though I guess it won't help much because on their main site it states: *Due to the present legal restrictions DVD titles protected with CSS protection can not be backed up.
Alcohol 52% is actually both a image ripper and virtual drive emulator. 120% adds the ability to BURN.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote