Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th March 2013, 18:33   #18121  |  Link
Dodgexander

Is it normal to have dropped frames using madVR with lowest quality settings and a 1080i 25fps input?

The card in question is a Radeon 5450.
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 23:02   #18122  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Version of release needs to be in the OSD IMHO.
Madshi has always stated he wanted the OSD to be as spartan as possible, this info is easy to find as it is, he would have it there already if he thought it useful I think.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 07:15   #18123  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post
Is it normal to have dropped frames using madVR with lowest quality settings and a 1080i 25fps input?

The card in question is a Radeon 5450.
It is. I tried de-interlacing with 5450 and guess what? I'm 7750 GDDR5 fanless user now.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 17:29   #18124  |  Link
Dodgexander

Hmm the other card I can try is a GeForce 610. Also very low end but maybe it will work better.

Sent from my Blade S using Tapatalk 2
Old 25th March 2013, 23:10   #18125  |  Link
Dodgexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post
It is. I tried de-interlacing with 5450 and guess what? I'm 7750 GDDR5 fanless user now.
Did a bit of research and tweaking, with the cyberlink powerdvd decoder in HAM mode, I can watch broadcasts in 1080i 25fps with no dropped frames. This is using softcubic 100/dxva scaling/smooth motion off.

I had to tweak the backbuffer queue to only 1 for full screen exclusive mode to work without dropped frames though. Disabling the backbuffer queue altogether caused presentation glitches and setting it to 2 was too much.

Everything else was default settings, which I am pleased about.

In windowed mode, I can't seem to tweak anything to work, but that doesn't really matter as its just a HTPC.

Last edited by Dodgexander; 26th March 2013 at 00:16.
Old 26th March 2013, 06:38   #18126  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Did a bit of research and tweaking, with the cyberlink powerdvd decoder in HAM mode, I can watch broadcasts in 1080i 25fps with no dropped frames.
Yes, you can watch it, but you can't get hardware de-interlacing (vector/motion adaptive) with Cyberlink HAM. Try those 1080i25 with Cyberlink DXVA and plain EVR (not EVR CP) to check out the difference. But first make sure you have Vector Adaptive and Auto in CCC/video. You can try EVR CP though with half floating or full floating processing, but as far as I remember it was the same story as with madVR.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 11:48   #18127  |  Link
Dodgexander

Deinterlacing seems to work fine, just isn't reported correctly to madVR osd.

I don't know what kind of deinterlacing it is, but it works.

Sent from my Blade S using Tapatalk 2
Old 27th March 2013, 08:05   #18128  |  Link
renethx

Quote:
I don't know what kind of deinterlacing it is, but it works.
With HAM,

"Auto-select" = "Force bob" = blending (not even bob)
"Force weave" = weave

HAM decoder sends a 25fps (not 50fps of course) progressive (deinterlaced this way) video stream to madVR, whence "deinterlacing off (says upstream)" in madVR OSD. So it works, but is not good in quality. This is true whatever renderer you use, VMR9, EVR, EVR CP, Haali, madVR etc.

If madVR receives an interlaced video stream, its OSD shows "deinterlacing on (says upstream)" and it leaves video to the driver's deinterlacing algorithm (perhaps vector adaptive; of course there are lots of dropped frames if GPU is not good enough to do both vector adaptive deinterlacing and madVR's scaling algorithms).

Last edited by renethx; 28th March 2013 at 06:49.
renethx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 10:55   #18129  |  Link
DragonQ

I would personally much rather high quality deinterlacing + EVR than pants deinterlacing + MadVR. Of course high quality deinterlacing + MadVR is the best.
Old 27th March 2013, 12:50   #18130  |  Link
Dodgexander

I see!! What kind of software deinterlacing can I use with madVR then? I guess I'll have to fiddle around with more decoders. I actually prefer yadif to the hardware deinterlacing on my other pc, but this one's cpu can't cut it.

It's at times like this that I wish I forked out for a better card
Old 28th March 2013, 19:08   #18131  |  Link
DragonQ

Does anyone know if there's any media centre software that can use MadVR for everything including TV?

I'm worried MediaPortal's EVR might not be good enough on a good TV, mainly due to banding. I've been doing some testing on my PC (with a monitor capable of passing banding tests very well) and even if there is no expansion from 16-235 to 0-255, there's still a bit of banding on demanding gradients (mainly sky blue). Nowhere near as bad as when expansion to 0-255 is used but still worse than I get with MadVR (presumably due to high-bit-depth internal processing).
Old 28th March 2013, 19:57   #18132  |  Link
SamKook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Does anyone know if there's any media centre software that can use MadVR for everything including TV?

I'm worried MediaPortal's EVR might not be good enough on a good TV, mainly due to banding. I've been doing some testing on my PC (with a monitor capable of passing banding tests very well) and even if there is no expansion from 16-235 to 0-255, there's still a bit of banding on demanding gradients (mainly sky blue). Nowhere near as bad as when expansion to 0-255 is used but still worse than I get with MadVR (presumably due to high-bit-depth internal processing).
I don't know if there are any that support it natively, but what I personally do is use XBMC which can launch any external player which supports madvr. I guess TV would be more complicated like that though.
SamKook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 20:11   #18133  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKook View Post
I don't know if there are any that support it natively, but what I personally do is use XBMC which can launch any external player which supports madvr. I guess TV would be more complicated like that though.
Yeah MediaPortal can do this too but, like XBMC, it doesn't work for TV. I think the reasoning is that the whole TV/EPG/recordings/OSD interface is built in to MediaPortal and can't be generated using MadVR (right now at least).
Old 28th March 2013, 20:14   #18134  |  Link
huhn

jriver should do the trick. but is not free
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 23:17   #18135  |  Link
Dodgexander

For live TV you can use MPC-HC, of course without PVR capability.

Next PVR works too, but it has a bug with program info always showing at the bottom, specifically with madVR , also sometimes it doesn't go full screen.
Old 29th March 2013, 15:15   #18136  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

@madshi: I was wondering, what does Jinc3AR need the most in your opinion? ROP/shader performance or memory bandwidth? It's all discussed in this review, and these days regular 650Ti's are pretty much given away(95€ shipped). Surely the 2GB 650Ti Boost(160€) kills the regular 1GB 650Ti but they didn't dare releasing its 1GB counterpart yet....so it's basically a slightly slower 660(170€) and resellers have to ditch their regular 650Ti's ASAP before they get obsolete.

In shader-heavy games, the vanilla 650Ti is a screaming bargain I think....and I believe Jinc3AR is all about shaders

If all Jinc3AR cares for is memory bandwidth then it'll be a waste of money, though....tough call

Last edited by leeperry; 29th March 2013 at 15:25.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 19:27   #18137  |  Link
Niyawa

I'm asking this here because I made a search but I never got any complete answer from it. What exactly the option "don't use linear light for smooth motion frame blending" do? What I know is that when I enable it, I get a lot of dropped frames. Does it increase quality of smooth motion or something along those lines?
Old 29th March 2013, 19:40   #18138  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I think....and I believe Jinc3AR is all about shaders
I think so too, afair 1080p24@720p (Jinc3 AR chroma, C-R AR LL luma) even worked with my Intel HD 3000 (OCed to 2.2 Ghz).
Haswell IGP with OC could be nice.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 22:13   #18139  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyawa View Post
I'm asking this here because I made a search but I never got any complete answer from it. What exactly the option "don't use linear light for smooth motion frame blending" do? What I know is that when I enable it, I get a lot of dropped frames. Does it increase quality of smooth motion or something along those lines?
doing it in rbg is simple the correct way to do it that's all so quality is a little bit better
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 01:07   #18140  |  Link
Niyawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
doing it in rbg is simple the correct way to do it that's all so quality is a little bit better
I'm sorry... could you elaborate on that?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling