Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd January 2015, 20:59   #27941  |  Link
XMonarchY

I am very sorry if this has been re-posted a dozen times, but I have been out of 3DLUT-making scene for a while now. I just made a madVR 3DLUT with dispcalGUI 2.6.0.0, but HCFR does not detect madVR. I uninstalled madVR using the included .bat in normal mode and As Administrator. Then I restarted. Then I placed madVR on root directory of drive D to prevent any long directory names with spaces and ran the install .bat file in normal mode and As Administrator. However, none of that worked. When I select madVR as a pattern generator in the latest HCFR 3.1.6, I get an error saying that madVR DLL was not found... I have the latest madVR x.x.11. Maybe all these new connection options need to be used, but I do not see any options for them. I do see my local IP in madTPG - 192.168.1.96. When my Windows 8.1 firewall asked me about allowing madTPG access, I clicked "Allow" for both public and private networks. I also removed and re-installed HCFR Calibration several times in normal and As Administrator, but that didn't help... It keeps telling me DLL was not found and asking me whether madVR was installed...

Please don't yell at me for asking, but how do I fix this problem? I figured the problem must be with HCFR because dispcalGUI 2.6.0.0 detected madTPG just fine when Profiling (reading patterns) for 3DLUT creation. I applied 3DLUT and I can definitely see image differences, which means that 3DLUT is working, but I need to verify its accuracy with HCFR (or is there some other way?). I can't post on AVS forums because they banned me (yes SHAME on me, its embarrassing and I regret it and still feel guilty, please don't rub it n... ) and I tried 10x times to write them e-mails to get back, but it didn't work and they catch IP's if you try to create another account, etc. Please help!

Last edited by XMonarchY; 2nd January 2015 at 21:12.
Old 2nd January 2015, 23:29   #27942  |  Link
huhn

try version 86.10 not 86.11.

and dispcalGUI can this to. just use verify calibration.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 08:46   #27943  |  Link
Arm3nian

Does madVR do more work if using SVP to go from 24>60fps? And would converting 24 to 60 mean render times would need to be under 16 seconds instead of 41?
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 09:29   #27944  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
Does madVR do more work if using SVP to go from 24>60fps? And would converting 24 to 60 mean render times would need to be under 16 seconds instead of 41?
Yes that's right.
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 15:46   #27945  |  Link
jdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
What are you using? Im going with an android smartphone for controlling it.
Yatse
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 22:22   #27946  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
madVR seems to be very unstable when playing videos on the 2nd monitor. Though MPC-HC is unstable, too (crashes with EVR CP), but sometimes I get madVR debug window (with "Close application", "Continue" buttons). I remember you confirmed there are issues with the palyback on the 2nd monitor but the main advice was to playback videos on the 1st monitor. Is there any sense to try to reproduce the steps that lead to crash to report it to you, to send you any info regarding the 2nd monitor playback issues?
Many people are doing playback on 2nd monitor without any (major) problems. There are certain issues, like focus getting lost, but there should be no crashes. If you get crashes from madVR (with the "Close application" etc buttons), please always do send the bug reports. But if MPC-HC crashes with EVR, too, it's going to be hard to track down who or what is ultimately responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalLF View Post
Hello! i really love MadVR it just gets better and better! but one thing is missing! a seekbar inside the picture area like in a 2.35:1 movie. Why i wonder is because i'm about to order a 2.40:1 screen!
It's on my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
NEEDI3 chroma upscaling + 970

doesn't work properly

Asus Strix 970

and there are so many bugs trying to watch MKV movies. black flashes, video is continuing rendering subtitles when paused and sometimes the video freeze and audio continues, sometimes it just doesn't continue at all and freeze on the last paused image, and sometimes it just freeze randomly when fast forward or back forward. and sometimes just low performance the renderer is doing 1-7 intead 6-7, and it just dropping frames non stop.

Using Potplayer + MADVR + LavFilters CUVID

So many video bugs I can't watch a movie properly. to fix the video I need to reopen it stop it or switch to JINC and it fix the slow down instant.

With 7970 same settings I didn't have a single issue
If the same thing worked fine with the 7970 then it sounds like an issue either with your 970 or with the 970 drivers. Of course it could also be a bug in madVR, but since it seems to work fine for many other people I wouldn't know what to look for. Generally fixing bugs is hard (or even next to impossible) if they only occur for one user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey View Post
Is it possible to use madVR as a video processing filter?
Not at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xello View Post
Is there a person who can analyze madVR bug reports or guide me in analyzing my own to nail down the cause of a crash ?
Yes, me, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
With the new version of madVR, I can't force film mode for a DVD. Weird.
What happens if you try? Your computer explodes? Some more details would be helpful. Very helpful would also be if you tried older madVR version to find with which version exactly the feature broke for you (if madVR is responsible, that is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neet009 View Post
madVR version 0.87.11
I want to use HCFR(version 3.1.6) and madTPG to make a display measure, but it showing this message to me [...]
Sorry, that's a bug in v0.87.11, it will be fixed in v0.87.12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
It is not madVRs fault. HCFR is not updated to version 0.87.11
madVR/madTPG is supposed to be backwards compatible to older calibration software versions. So it's my fault. Which is good, because I can fix it easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yok833 View Post
Dear Santa Claus Madshi,

We have all been very nice this year... so will you bring us presents for christmas ??
Hmmmm... Yes, there's a good chance there might a new version out with some nice new features in time for xmas this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Without the "delay" options checked the queue sizes have no effect on seeking delays. madVR does not wait for them to fill but presents the first frame as soon as it is available.
Yes and no. When pre-presenting multiple frames in advance, after a seek madVR has to wait until all pre-presented frames were displayed, before new frames can be presented. So the number of pre-presented frames can have an influence on the seek times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
In an update to the slow seeking i have.

I notice that if the content is MPEG-2 it's fast like EVR, but with H264 it's much slower.
That's weird. Is this independent on the decoder? And independent on software vs. hardware decoding etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitech View Post
Anyone have recommended settings for sd content using neddi, i have no clue what combination to use, 90% of my sd content is animation and i love to use SVP with it, im on nvidia gtx 760, Intel i5 4670k, 16 gb ram, win7
If you're short on GPU power, use NNEDI3 only for luma doubling, not for anything else. Can't say anything about SVP, I don't have experience with SVP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddock View Post
I'm getting dropped frames every few minutes on a 1080p movie that's 4:2:2 instead of the usual blu-ray 4:2:0

GTX 750ti
i5 3570k
16gb ram

Is my GPU?
In the debug OSD (Ctrl+J), wenn the drops occur, are any of the queues near empty? If so, which ones exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8213711 View Post
My GPU is capable of i25 (see http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=27887 for details), is there a way to understand if my TV is capable too?
i25 should be the same as i50, which most TVs do support. But I would stay away from anything interlaced unless oyu have no other choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
I remember there's a way to modify the registry to force madVR to use nVidia GPU with Optimus on some notebooks, but I cannot find it anymore.
That only works for OpenCL, though, not for Direct3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmetal Encoder View Post
How could an upscaled image look better than the original source material at native resolution? Every time I upscale a lower resolution source to 1080 on my monitor it looks worse with at least a loss in sharpness.
It's not a fair comparison to look at an image unscaled and then to scale it up and look at it from the same distance. The real question is whether a 1080p movie looks better on a 4K display or on a 1080p display, when both displays have the same size, and when you watch both display from the same distance. You can't take a shortcut and compare two images at different sizes. That just won't give you a proper answer to the real question.

To get an answer to the real question, read my comment here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post28854034
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 22:27   #27947  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.87.12 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: v0.87.11 broke madTPG API compatability
* madTPG: added dropdown box to allow manual gamut/3dlut selection
* madTPG: loading a 3dlut now takes immediate effect in madTPG
* madTPG: added API "GetVersion"
* madTPG: added API "Get/SetSelected3dlut"
* madTPG: number of pre-presented frames is now limited to max 3
Sorry, still only madTPG changes.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 05:43   #27948  |  Link
James Freeman

You have absolutely nothing to be sorry about.
Thank you madshi for your time and devotion.
Old 5th January 2015, 10:57   #27949  |  Link
StinDaWg

I've had an issue for awhile now where I will play a video in FSE mode and the render time will settle down to say, 30ms for 720p->1080p NNEDI3 upscaling. Then I'll back out to windowed mode and back into FSE and the render time will drop down to a steady 25ms. I'm not sure what's happening but I can reproduce this consistently. I have my gpu overclocked and it's almost like madVR isn't accepting the overclock in FSE even though Afterburner says it's using 1050 core the entire time. No change with v0.87.12. I'm using an AMD 7850 and it happens on all firmware versions.

Does this happen to anyone else?
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 11:24   #27950  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Sorry, still only madTPG changes.
As James Freeman noted, don't worry, you're doing this for free, after all.
Also, you did (almost) promise us a new version already, after all...
Quote:
Hmmmm... Yes, there's a good chance there might a new version out with some nice new features in time for xmas this year...
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 11:39   #27951  |  Link
Neet009

Quote:
madVR v0.87.12 released
Thank you for releasing the new version. Now it works well with HCFR.
Neet009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 19:27   #27952  |  Link
shaolin95

Hello guys!
Is it normal for the Nvidia Control Panel settings like deinterlace etc to have no effect on the image when using madvr? I have a GTX750ti and Windows 8.1

Thanks
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 20:50   #27953  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Is it normal for the Nvidia Control Panel settings like deinterlace etc to have no effect on the image when using madvr?
yep, but you can always try DXVA and CUVID:

Quote:
features: (..)
- bypasses graphics card's video (damage) algorithms
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 21:27   #27954  |  Link
dbcooper

Hi Madshi, the problem seemed to start with 0.87.11 - it was not present in 0.87.10.

The problem is when I am using a second display (e.g. my Samsung UE40H6400 TV, via HDMI, and an AMD HD7790 GPU). I can force film mode on the primary display, but not when the MPC-HC window is on the secondary display. When I toggle through modes, it just goes through auto and video, and skips film.
dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 01:53   #27955  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
yep, but you can always try DXVA and CUVID:
But that is odd because on LAV Video filter I see CUVID selected. I guess is not a big deal since we are shooting for best IQ and that is what I understand madvr is doing after all.
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 03:49   #27956  |  Link
huhn

DXVA and CUVID decoding (it's the same any way) doesn't have an effect on this.

these settings effect madVR when DXVA scaling is used.

next thing is deinterlacing. madVR uses DXVA deinterlacing with a interlaced input stream. and again there is no difference between CUVID or DXVA deinterlacing (CUVID HQ is deinterlacing with inverse telecine checked in the driver). you can change the type of deinterlacing at least with AMD but the sharpening settings and so on doesn't have an effect on this (just tested with amd).

there is "nothing" to gain from CUVID any more it only forces your GPU in a high powerstate. and with active deinterlacing you can't use madVR IVTC for telecine streams any more. which can be easily trigger with a hot key.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 15:51   #27957  |  Link
mandarinka

http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/C...esync-Monitors

FreeSync monitors finally out (almost). It appears that at least some will hit the shelves this month?
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 21:56   #27958  |  Link
Asmodian

That is very good news but not relevant for madVR as it is currently. It would be interesting to have madVR be G-sync (or FreeSync) aware, it seems like it would be possible to have the audio and video sync be very exact without smooth motion, basically like Reclock but adjusting the video frame timing instead of re-sampling the audio. This would also be great for bit-streaming without smooth motion.

I have been playing with G-sync (PG278Q) and madVR. If madVR goes into full screen exclusive mode G-sync activates but the image flickers quite often which does not happen in games. Also, as expected, it does not refresh at the move frame rate but at 143.5 Hz (I have "use fastest mode available" enabled). If I don't have g-sync enabled or don't use FSE madVR reports a refresh rate of 144 Hz. I believe madVR would need to not present frames in advance but instead only present new a frame when it should be displayed.

As it is now I cannot use full screen exclusive with G-sync enabled but this is not a problem.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 00:10   #27959  |  Link
DragonQ

Without looking it up, I'm assuming G-Sync and Freesync have fluid refresh rates where you can update the screen at any time (with a minimum time between updates of course, which'd translate to a maximum refresh rate). If so, that is pretty damned cool and I'm surprised it's taken so long to happen. I came up with the idea about a decade ago.

In terms of video playback, it's probably most useful for mixed telecined/interlaced content in 60 Hz regions.
Old 7th January 2015, 01:38   #27960  |  Link
e-t172

This article, which unfortunately is in French, contains the following information, which I'm translating:

Quote:
One should note that FreeSync is not usable on the Windows desktop and needs fullscreen exclusive mode to work, which makes it incompatible with most video players. That said, the video player bundled with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 is FreeSync compatible and the refresh rate will adapt to the video format, thereby ensuring perfectly smooth playback.
The last bit about video playback is quite interesting, maybe it could apply to madVR as well if madshi decides to support it.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling