Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 5th April 2003, 06:27   #221  |  Link
wing1

Geeze..EO video! This is not worth it at all! Karl, you are correct regarding the frame rate. I got all kind of jerky movement after the conversion to VCD NTSC. The encoding quality is awful...remind me of panasonic encoder ages ago. The input is nice and sharp, but the output is blurry and the color is way off to left field.
wing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2003, 00:17   #222  |  Link
ToiletDuck

I was editing some video on my machine and noticed how much slower it is compared to the ones at work. I have a dual 2200+ system and at work they are 833mhz. However they have the matrox hardware that does all the video work so you don't have to render it each time you make an edit. Is it possible that you could encode movies much faster if you had matrox hardware installed on your comp?
ToiletDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2003, 17:07   #223  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

@Karl

I have tearing effects with my GeForce 4 TI 4200. I'm in hardware acceleration whiuout using overlays.
Old 8th April 2003, 17:35   #224  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Tearing will occur if the multiple frame buffer flip-chain is not used. That could happen if your hardware compatibility slider is in the middle, or you are using MPC's custom RealVideo renderer. Does that happen to be the case here?
Old 8th April 2003, 17:40   #225  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by ToiletDuck
I was editing some video on my machine and noticed how much slower it is compared to the ones at work. I have a dual 2200+ system and at work they are 833mhz. However they have the matrox hardware that does all the video work so you don't have to render it each time you make an edit. Is it possible that you could encode movies much faster if you had matrox hardware installed on your comp?
I am not too familiar with how these Matrox cards help video editing, but I am afraid there is currently no available hardware acceleration for RV9. On a dual 2200+ it should be pretty fast though, with no pre-filters or color conversions, the multi-threaded encoder should be about real-time for full-screen content, is my guess. I have a dual Xeon 2.2, and it can encode RV9 640x480 30 fps real-time capture.
Old 8th April 2003, 17:50   #226  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold
Tearing will occur if the multiple frame buffer flip-chain is not used. That could happen if your hardware compatibility slider is in the middle, or you are using MPC's custom RealVideo renderer. Does that happen to be the case here?
I'm using RealOne v2 now for Real content. The slider was in the middle. I'll set it to full acceleration. Also, menus like Tools is really slow to show (5 sec to 30 sec) on my 2000+. Any idea?
Old 8th April 2003, 18:02   #227  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirber
I'm using RealOne v2 now for Real content. The slider was in the middle. I'll set it to full acceleration. Also, menus like Tools is really slow to show (5 sec to 30 sec) on my 2000+. Any idea?
The Menus in R1P have always been slow, since I think they are dynamically generated. However, not /that/ slow. I wonder if perhaps something on your system (CD-ROMs, or something else the Tools menu might need to look up) takes extra time to access. Maybe something has gone wrong in the registry keys used by R1P. It's really hard to tell, but I will forward your question to someone working on the player.
Old 8th April 2003, 20:31   #228  |  Link
karl_lillevold

I found out that like I guessed, a potential reason for menu slowdown is the CD drive enumeration to build the Play and the Tools menus. Are those the menus that are slow, or is it all the menus?

You could also try to run C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\Setup\.r1pclean to perform a Real clean un-install, before re-installing the latest slipstream R1P V.2 from http://www.real.com/freeplayer
Old 8th April 2003, 21:29   #229  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

I have 3 CDROM/DVD player, 2 real and 1 emulated. In V.3, will be possible to staticly build them at installation? It's slow as hell when playing a movie or a DVD .
Old 9th April 2003, 10:31   #230  |  Link
iwod

@Karl

I have always forgot to mention this problem....

If i choose MPC as the default RM player. Real Media Editor doesn't not seems to work. It will open up the file and you can play it as well but only audio ( or nothing... i can't remember ) comes out.

I figure out the soloution is to open up R1player and close it again then Real Media editor would work.

Do you know how to permantly fix the problem... ( you know the pain when opening up realone.... )
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2003, 17:39   #231  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Hmm, I can't seem to be able to reproduce this problem. Even after setting MPC to be the default player for RealMedia, RM files play back fine in Real Media Editor (rmedtgui.exe), both video and audio. It sounds like rmedtgui does not find the DLLs it nead, unless they have been loaded by RealOne. Maybe some DLLs or reg keys are missing. rmedtgui needs its own complete set of DLLs in the codecs, tools, common, and plugins sub-folders in the RealMediaEditor folder.
Old 12th April 2003, 13:51   #232  |  Link
Valky

Hmm..not sure where the problem lies..in RM-producer or Xreal, but I have now tried to capture two movies I captured from TV with this same script and result have been the same both times.

File is only little bit bigger than 500mb (target 700mb) and it can't be played..RealOne neither RealOne or MPC doesn't show anything..they both just keeps buffering from 0 to 40% and never starts to play file.

If I have done test clips using trim-option everything works flawlessly. Also little bit shorter clips like 45-60min with about same scripts have been worked so far. So why doesn't this clip work with my 90minutes movie? Why doens't Xreal produce the whole movie?

Script:

#SOURCE:
video=AviSource("E:\capture\capture.avi", false)
audio = wavsource("E:\capture\capture.wav")
video=audiodub(video,audio)

video=ConvertToYV12(video)

#video=trim(video,102000,103000)
#video=Levels(video,0, 1.2, 255, 0, 255)

video=AutoCrop(video,0,wMultOf=4, hMultOf=4)

#video=crop(video,4,2,380,568)
video=bicubicresize(video,384,288,0,0.6)
Video=deen(video,"a3d",3,6,1,6)
Video=unfilter(Video,-5,-5)

return(video)

I tried to make target file 700mb and audio 96kbs..just one pass like recommended for avi. Using trim everything works great. And probly to the point where encoding stops also.. My video is 384x576 PicVideo mjpeg and audia is pcm 44.1khrz stereo 16-bit wav.
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2003, 16:11   #233  |  Link
karl_lillevold

i have seen a problem similar to this. At that time it was caused by an exception in AviSynth somewhere in the middle of the encode. The flat video resulting from this, confused to encoder and/or rate control enough to make the resulting file unplayable.
Old 12th April 2003, 16:57   #234  |  Link
Valky

..and did you happen to see any solution to this also?

It's almost like there is some kind of time limit..the movie I tried befofe was almost the same size in mb's 520mb or something..
I am using the latest avs and I have made about 20 one hour episodes with this same script and some whole movies from dv2-source too, but never before with avi source. So it must be that.
Old 12th April 2003, 17:21   #235  |  Link
karl_lillevold

No, I am afraid I did not. In my case it occurred with a d2v source, and when I re-encoded with different settings, it did not happen.

This one is hard to track down without a debug build of AviSynth and a debugger to see where in AviSynth the exception happens. You may want to ask the AviSynth experts over in their forum.
Old 13th April 2003, 19:08   #236  |  Link
Valky

third time with different filters and now I tried to convert back to yuy2, but no luck. The file size always stop at the 518mb (target 700mb).

This time I tried with this:

video=AviSource("E:\capture\capture.avi", false)
audio = wavsource("E:\capture\capture.wav")
video=audiodub(video,audio)

video=ConvertToYV12(video)

#video=trim(video,102300,102900)
#video=Levels(video,0, 1.2, 255, 0, 255)
#video=TemporalSoften(video,3,4,4,mode=2,scenechange=10)

#video=AutoCrop(video,1,wMultOf=4, hMultOf=4)
video=cnr2(video)
video=crop(video,4,2,380,572)

video=bilinearresize(video,384,288)
video=Convolution3d(video,1,10,20,10,10,0,0)
video=ConvertToYUY2(video)
return(video)

I have also triedto encode with plain avi-file (same avi file than in these scripts..) without any filtering in X2real so now I am pretty sure the problem lies in Avi file itself cause it's PicVideo mjpeg-format. I guess it could work if it would be Huffy, but I dont have enough space left on my HD right now so that I could try that..
Old 16th April 2003, 14:50   #237  |  Link
slavickas
I'm Shpongled

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold
I am not exactly sure what producer8 did, or this specific example, but it is simply not possible to encode a 30 fps clip at 25 fps in a nice way. You could get to 15, 10, or 7.5 fps, by skipping frames, but not from 30 to 25. In that case you will have to use a tool like VirtualDub to modify the framerate, which has more advanced video editing features.

Other than that, maybe there is a problem, but please provide a specific example, and I will take a look to see if I need to file a bug report.
well i understand that it's not "nice" way, but then what actually do "Target frame rate" setting in audience do, if producer 9 is simply encoding @ source framerate
slavickas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2003, 19:11   #238  |  Link
marnum
Danke Joerg!

Hi!
I've already done 2 RV9 encodes which I'd really like to watch on my notebook. The quality is really really good, but there is one problem - jerky playback Every now and then (every 10-30 frames) a frame is dropped. I read that another user had the same trouble with his TV-out, but my vids also jerk in Desktop mode. I'll post my system specifications:

Soft:
WinXP Home SP1
Tried players: RealOne & WMC
Graphics Driver: Newest driver provided by ATI

Hard:
Athlon XP 2000+ Mobile
512 MB DDR RAM (32 MB shared to graphics chip)
ATI IGP 320M Chipset (All-in-One solution with Radeon Mobility built-in)
1024x768 @ 32 Bit

Video:
720x288 & 576x? both jerked
Bitrate: ca. 1500 kb/s
CPU Usage while playing: 40-50%
System Memory Usage: ca. 150 MB

Does the RealPlayer Codec not work out with shared Memory solutions? I can playback everything else on my notebook (DivX, Xvid, DVD,...) without any dropped frames.

Greetings and Thanks in Advance
Old 16th April 2003, 20:18   #239  |  Link
karl_lillevold

One parameter which is important is the display refresh rate, relative to the clip frame rate. I am guessing your display refresh rate is 60 Hz since it's a laptop. Then plase try my jitter test clips http://www.lillevold.com/files/jitter.zip
These two clips are both exactly 30 fps, and should play back very smoothly on a 60 Hz display. Please let me know how these two look on your system (one is RV9, the other is XviD).

If your encodes are 23.976 fps or 25 fps it is not possible to play them back on a 60 Hz display without some jitter. However, you say that other formats play fine, and that there are /dropped/ frames, and not jitter. Could you please check in the Statistics for the video stream in RealOne, that the frames are actually dropped, and that it is not just severe jitter? The test clip above is also good to try here. In either case, this is something I would be curious to investigate some more.

Thanks!
Old 16th April 2003, 20:23   #240  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by slavickas
well i understand that it's not "nice" way, but then what actually do "Target frame rate" setting in audience do, if producer 9 is simply encoding @ source framerate
It decimates the input frame rate. If you have a 30 fps input, and select target fps 15, every 2nd frame is dropped. However, if you have 30 fps input and set 25 fps out, it is not possible to decimate in a way that looks decent (it will look choppy). Also, any frame decimation will break the inverse-telecine which needs to see all the input frames. I never change the target fps, except for very very low bitrates, and then always in an "even" manner, i.e. 30 -> 15, 24 -> 12 etc.