Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 3rd January 2021, 18:12   #1301  |  Link
Janusz

That's right. In this thread last June, we made it clear. During the first few lines, nOCR learns to recognize
the correct size of symbols further. Maybe I am wrong, but I think that in such a situation the first scan can
always be wrong, only with the second scan nOCR will use the previously acquired skills stored in our database.

Last edited by Janusz; 4th January 2021 at 01:01.
Janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 08:44   #1302  |  Link
Nikse555

@Janusz: thx for the feedback
I've tried to fix the bug about updating nOcrDb with new casing here: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
How does that work?

The beta can also read the weird .sup file (transport stream subtitle).

About the screenshot of main window - it's just the frame that's been removed, right?
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 14:12   #1303  |  Link
Janusz

@Nikse555
Many thanks for another quick fix in the program.
So far, I have checked the files I used earlier on submission. The fix works fine.
The very first scan with a verified character database gives an error-free result in all cases.
Another, new file during OCR showed an error of the type: upper / lower case replacement.
However, after correcting - assigning the correct letter to its symbol in the database, the first OCR works flawlessly.

Last edited by Janusz; 4th January 2021 at 14:18.
Old 5th January 2021, 22:16   #1304  |  Link
deusexe

Why recently I can't enter the Polish character "ó"? Other "ń", "ż" etc. can be. And the "remove ellipses at the beginning of the line" option has disappeared in the most common mistakes?
deusexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2021, 15:37   #1305  |  Link
Janusz

Quote:
Why recently I can't enter the Polish character "ó"? Other "ń", "ż" etc. can be.
In Shortcuts, the "Alt+o" keyboard shortcut has been added. Clear it or change it to a different one and everything will return to its previous state.

Quote:
And the "remove ellipses at the beginning of the line" option has disappeared in the most common mistakes?
I don't know where to look for it at all.

Last edited by Janusz; 6th January 2021 at 20:33.
Old 6th January 2021, 22:25   #1306  |  Link
deusexe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janusz View Post
In Shortcuts, the "Alt+o" keyboard shortcut has been added. Clear it or change it to a different one and everything will return to its previous state.
Thx it helped.
And I will write the latter in Polish because maybe the translator translated it wrong Chodzi mi o Narzędzia -> Popraw najczęstsze błędy... i tam była opcja usuń trzy kropki z początku wiersza. A teraz tego nie ma.
Old 7th January 2021, 00:40   #1307  |  Link
Janusz

@deusexe
You can find this in: Tools/Fix common errors - now as: Fix continuation style: ...
You can find out what and how it will be included in the [Edit settings for fixing continuation style ...] button in Option/Settings/Tools.

Last edited by Janusz; 7th January 2021 at 00:54.
Old 7th January 2021, 20:52   #1308  |  Link
deusexe

Thanks @Janusz, I found it, but now this function finds the ellipses at the beginning and end of a sentence. But it's better than nothing.
Old 7th January 2021, 21:02   #1309  |  Link
Nikse555

@deusexe: "Remove ellipses at the beginning of the line" will be available if you set "Continuation style" to "none".
Old 8th January 2021, 17:18   #1310  |  Link
deusexe

However, I looked wrong. The continuation style is not what I'm looking for at all. This does not find any already existing dots at the beginning of a sentence, it just creates them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikse555 View Post
@deusexe: "Remove ellipses at the beginning of the line" will be available if you set "Continuation style" to "none".
Where, how can you turn off the Continuation style?
Old 8th January 2021, 23:18   #1311  |  Link
Janusz

@deuexe
Disabling this option, as @Nikse555 replied above, does not create new ellipsis. It also does not remove ellipsis from the original text.
Enabling this option fixes the continuation style by adding/removing ellipsis where the assumed logic requires it.
Quote:
The continuation style is not what I'm looking for at all.
For what you want to achieve use now "Edit/Multiple replace ...".

Last edited by Janusz; 8th January 2021 at 23:40.
Old 9th January 2021, 11:41   #1312  |  Link
Janusz

@Nikse555

Last NEXT, beta 525 creates an srt file with errors in the nOCR process:

The word "Wjakim" should be split into "W jakim" (The whole sentence: In what sense.) as in the NEXT, beta 487 version below:

And compare srt files. Correct text on the left.

This is what the section of my pol_OCRFixReplaceList.xml file responsible for this correction looks like.
Code:
  <PartialWords>
    <!-- Will be used to check words not in dictionary.
         If new word(s) and longer than 4 chars and exists
	 in spelling dictionary, it is (or they are) accepted -->
    <WordPart from="~~" to="I" />
    <!-- "f " will be two words -->
    <WordPart from="~~f" to="f " />
    <WordPart from="ą" to="ą " />
    <WordPart from="j" to=" j" />
    <WordPart from="W" to="W " />
    <WordPart from="w" to="w " />
  </PartialWords>

Last edited by Janusz; 10th January 2021 at 16:04.
Old 10th January 2021, 15:54   #1313  |  Link
Nikse555

@Janusz: Tried to fix the ""Wjakim" issue in latest beta: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
Old 10th January 2021, 16:04   #1314  |  Link
Janusz

Thanks, @Nikse555.

I just downloaded the NEXT beta 566 and it looks like it's fine and working as it should again.

Last edited by Janusz; 10th January 2021 at 17:14.
Old 11th January 2021, 20:04   #1315  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Well,

I used the latest (well, at the time ) version, to convert from SRT (Unicode) to BD SUP, and the result was very acceptable.

The only issue is that there was a noticeable gap (white space, blank) between any italic or bold characters and the rest of the subtitle. Otherwise, splendid job.

Would it be possible to add another checkbox near the "forced" to allow changes in format for the ticked subtitles (like a bigger font, for movie title or a different placement etc)? I mean all subtitles share the common format except for the ticked ones that may have their own? Just a suggestion...
Old 12th January 2021, 16:10   #1316  |  Link
von Suppé

Hi Nikse

SUPs used on UHD-BD's with HDR video-content are authored darker. It often happens that when home-created SUPs are muxed together with HDR video, during playback they appear too bright.
Sometimes a UHD (BD-)player has extra settings to compensate for this brightness, but not all (if not most of them) don't.

Without having to OCR and re-export, is there a way in SE to only edit the palette of a SUP file?
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2021, 21:37   #1317  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
The only issue is that there was a noticeable gap (white space, blank) between any italic or bold characters and the rest of the subtitle. Otherwise, splendid job.
Hm, yes. Thx. Noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Would it be possible to add another checkbox near the "forced" to allow changes in format for the ticked subtitles (like a bigger font, for movie title or a different placement etc)? I mean all subtitles share the common format except for the ticked ones that may have their own?
You can use font size tags for .srt files - or setup styles for .ass files - both support alignment tags an1-an9 + .ass supports margins in styles.

Last edited by Nikse555; 12th January 2021 at 21:42.
Old 12th January 2021, 21:40   #1318  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Hi Nikse

SUPs used on UHD-BD's with HDR video-content are authored darker. It often happens that when home-created SUPs are muxed together with HDR video, during playback they appear too bright.
Sometimes a UHD (BD-)player has extra settings to compensate for this brightness, but not all (if not most of them) don't.

Without having to OCR and re-export, is there a way in SE to only edit the palette of a SUP file?
Added a "Change brightness" in latest beta: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip

(File -> Import -> Blu-ray (.sup) subtitle file for edit... - and then "Tools" or "list view context menu with selected lines")
Old 13th January 2021, 06:05   #1319  |  Link
Janusz

@Nikse555
Note: the described case is general in nature and also occurs in earlier versions of the program.

The animation shows how during nOCR, after enabling the [Use color] option, the images were split incorrectly,
and also not split although they should be because they contain two lines of text in different colors.

With the ts source file I could get color text, but this is impossible in this case as only with
Greyscale=on and Use color=off can I get error free text for the whole file.

The archive contains 4 sup files to trace the program operation saved with different option settings and the srt files obtained from them.

"g" in the file name means [Grayscale] 0/1 - off/on, "c" in the file name means [Use color] 0/1 - off/on

Perhaps this is an isolated case and should not be dealt with, but if we can fix it... thank you in advance.

Quote:
Added a "Change brightness" in latest beta:
Do you ever anticipate changing the text color separately for the top and bottom lines in one image (as two combined images)?

Last edited by Janusz; 13th January 2021 at 08:19.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:31   #1320  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Added a "Change brightness" in latest beta
Awesome, gonna check it out.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote