Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th October 2009, 21:19   #1641  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedo View Post
when i click the stop button of the player the video picture becomes freezing and the app crashed.
Stability with v0.10 and v0.11 is not great. That's the main thing I'll work on next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
but madshi said that he hadn't worked on smooth playback yet, and it's already smoother/sharper than HR...so we should get there at some point
I did work on smooth playback. That's the main feature of v0.10. However, v0.10 is only the first step. I expect to achieve perfection in fullscreen exclusive mode. In windowed mode there might be some improvements in smoothness reliability, but not much, I'd guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3 View Post
Now, I'm also with more free time, so I will try to get cr3dlut v2.3 out really soon (custom gamma curves).
Great! How about gamut correction at multiple luminance levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
Ive tested madVR on a screen with native 1080p resolution for the first time, but unfortunaltey there are quite some tearing issues in the lower part of the picture.
Can you change refresh rate to 48Hz instead of 24Hz? Maybe that helps. Final fix will be fullscreen exclusive mode (not implemented yet).
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 21:34   #1642  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can you change refresh rate to 48Hz instead of 24Hz? Maybe that helps. Final fix will be fullscreen exclusive mode (not implemented yet).
not really sure, its not my own screen. atm its at 23.999Hz.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 22:39   #1643  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Great! How about gamut correction at multiple luminance levels?
That should take a little more time... After the custom gamma I will look into the clipping rules, one of the topics we covered in PM. The gamut correction maybe only after that...
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 22:49   #1644  |  Link
pirlouy
_

madVR, like EVR (MPC custom, Goth Sync version, or Windows native) or VMR7 or VMR9 have the same problem: when watching videos with a screen in 24Hz, you can see that these renderers cause an audio time-lag. Not very important, but you can perceive it when you use "Overlay mixer" as renderer (with Overlay Mixer, no lag at all, voices are synchronized with mouth :-).

Ok, it's surely a minor thing, but maybe who knows, it will interest madshi...

ps: in my case, I noticed it with Win7 (without Aero)

Last edited by pirlouy; 11th October 2009 at 22:52.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 22:52   #1645  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

You can fix any audio/video delay issues using ffdshow video decoder or processor.

I have a 1500ms video delay to compensate for my Digital Room Correction.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 23:00   #1646  |  Link
pirlouy
_

I could, but delay is not the same between videos... :/
Old 12th October 2009, 07:58   #1647  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
Hi madshi, it's good to see you back.
Thanks for fixing the luma settings, it was the only thing that I was really missing.
Currently, I only use madVR v0.10, and it works fine. Of course it has some minor glitches, but not enough to not use it.
Now, I'm also with more free time, so I will try to get cr3dlut v2.3 out really soon (custom gamma curves).

Well that begs the question Yesgrey...

How do we generate the custom gamma curves for the 3DLut??

And also, while I can play bluray sourced mkv files + room correction with my ATi 2600XT, activating the 3DLut makes it stutter and jump - it's choking.

So, what graphics card is recommended? 4770? Wait for a mid level 5xxx series? Powerstrip support is mandatory for me.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 08:13   #1648  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
That should take a little more time... After the custom gamma I will look into the clipping rules, one of the topics we covered in PM. The gamut correction maybe only after that...
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
madVR, like EVR (MPC custom, Goth Sync version, or Windows native) or VMR7 or VMR9 have the same problem: when watching videos with a screen in 24Hz, you can see that these renderers cause an audio time-lag. Not very important, but you can perceive it when you use "Overlay mixer" as renderer (with Overlay Mixer, no lag at all, voices are synchronized with mouth :-).
Are you sure that it's Overlay Mixer that is correct and all the other renderers that are incorrect? Maybe it's the other way round? You know, every display playback chain has its own delay values. Most displays add some delay, some receivers, too. So it's really difficult to find out who is responsible for a given audio sync mismatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
And also, while I can play bluray sourced mkv files + room correction with my ATi 2600XT, activating the 3DLut makes it stutter and jump - it's choking.

So, what graphics card is recommended? 4770? Wait for a mid level 5xxx series? Powerstrip support is mandatory for me.
As I said before, madVR might improve its performance over time a bit. It's quite possible that you can use 3dlut with your 2600XT with a future madVR version. At least in fullscreen exclusive mode it's actually probable...

If you want to buy a new graphics card, anyway, a 47x0 should have *plenty* of power. If I were you, I'd wait for a graphics card which can bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD, though. That would be ATI 5xxx. Or (probably) one of the new NVidias coming out soon, which however will probably not have PowerStrip support.
Old 12th October 2009, 08:22   #1649  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
If I were you, I'd wait for a graphics card which can bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD, though. That would be ATI 5xxx
There s a good chance that the 4xxx-series will support bitstreaming too. The MPC-HC/FFdshow team is working on it as I speak.
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 08:29   #1650  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
There s a good chance that the 4xxx-series will support bitstreaming too. The MPC-HC/FFdshow team is working on it as I speak.
I thought the 4xxx series was only HDMI 1.1 or HDMI 1.2? Are you sure that the 4xxx hardware can actually stream TrueHD and DTS-HD? LPCM yes, but TrueHD? Not even all HDMI 1.3 hardware can do it, AFAIK.
Old 12th October 2009, 08:36   #1651  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
I thought the 4xxx series was only HDMI 1.1 or HDMI 1.2? Are you sure that the 4xxx hardware can actually stream TrueHD and DTS-HD? LPCM yes, but TrueHD? Not even all HDMI 1.3 hardware can do it, AFAIK.
Albain is working on it right now but it seems that there a good chance the 4xxx series will support bitstreaming. With one of the beta's there are already some reports by users of
4xxx-cards that the 'True-HD' signal lights up on theri receiver. Only no sound is heard but again, Albain is working on that.
Old 12th October 2009, 08:50   #1652  |  Link
Weirdo

Has anyone tried the Nvidia 9500GT along with Cuda decoding? Can it handle madVR?
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 08:51   #1653  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
Albain is working on it right now but it seems that there a good chance the 4xxx series will support bitstreaming. With one of the beta's there are already some reports by users of
4xxx-cards that the 'True-HD' signal lights up on theri receiver. Only no sound is heard but again, Albain is working on that.
Well, that would be *very* cool!
Old 12th October 2009, 08:59   #1654  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Well, that would be *very* cool!
YUP! I know! I checking this forum 10 times in an hour to see if he came up with news! Check the FFdshow thread, this will keep you updated.
Old 12th October 2009, 09:18   #1655  |  Link
Anima123

I will check this thread at least 1 times in an hour since mandshi is back on working. BTW, I'm always looking forward to your next version that as promised can solve most stability issues.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 09:28   #1656  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Has anyone tried the Nvidia 9500GT along with Cuda decoding? Can it handle madVR?
I can tell you that my GeForce 9600M GT (http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...GT.9449.0.html) stutters with CUDA + madVR, but I don't know how that compares to the desktop version.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 09:34   #1657  |  Link
Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
I can tell you that my GeForce 9600M GT (http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...GT.9449.0.html) stutters with CUDA + madVR, but I don't know how that compares to the desktop version.
Thanks, I want to replace the ATI 2600 (unusable with madVR) but not quite sure how powerful a gpu is required here.
Guess I should aim for a higher-end (=noisy) card. The 9500 GT seems more powerful than the 9600M GT.

Last edited by Weirdo; 12th October 2009 at 09:37.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 09:42   #1658  |  Link
namaiki

Only slightly more powerful:
thing - 9600M GT - 9500 GT
pipelines - 32 - 32
core - 500 - 550
memory - 800 - 800
shaders - 1250 - 1400
bus - 128 - 128

The solution is to simply not use CUDA.. :P

I still use CoreAVC, but have CUDA unchecked.

Last edited by namaiki; 12th October 2009 at 09:46.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 11:48   #1659  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Are you sure that it's Overlay Mixer that is correct and all the other renderers that are incorrect? Maybe it's the other way round? You know, every display playback chain has its own delay values. Most displays add some delay, some receivers, too. So it's really difficult to find out who is responsible for a given audio sync mismatch.
In my case, I'm sure it's all these renderers with all their jobs which display videos with delay. Like Overlay mixer doesn't have jobs, it is always perfectly synchronized with audio.

But as I said, you perceive this delay only when you're with a 24Hz display. I understand it's not problematic since everybody use 48, 50, 72, 75, 96, 120 Hz and even a popular renderer like EVR from Microsoft is concerned. But as I know you like perfection, one day, I think you'll notice that, and maybe you will be able to add a delay for audio. :-)
Old 12th October 2009, 13:04   #1660  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
How do we generate the custom gamma curves for the 3DLut?
We will talk about this when I release it...
Quote:
Mine is a GF8600GT and it runs fine, although is a bit on the edge...
I don't miss powerstrip. I have created my own tool to calculate my timings and create the resolutions with nvidia drivers. I have already promised several times to post it, but I haven't yet found the time for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
stutters with CUDA + madVR
Don't use both, that's not a good idea. You have two applications "fighting" for you graphics card resources. If they are scarce, that would not be a good thing.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling