Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th March 2012, 17:12   #12641  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
Thanks for your super fast reply.
But the issue isn't that the Exclusive pop-up does not show up. It is that it is replaced by a (almost subliminal so it's fast) black screen instead.
If it's expected, no worries
I'm not sure it's expected. Did you not have a black screen (with or without the "Exclusive" pop-up on top) with older madVR versions? Is a display mode changed involved, maybe? Changing display modes usually results in the display having to re-synchronize. Older madVR versions didn't change display modes when going into exclusive mode. The newer version do that if you configure the display mode changer accordingly.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 17:13   #12642  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
P.s. maybe this is the reason why nVidia prohibit launching "mpc-hc.exe" with discrete GPU starting from 285.62. That's why it's named "mpc-hc2.exe" on my machine.
Seriously!? This is terrible!! Maybe you should get an AMD notebook next time...
Old 7th March 2012, 17:25   #12643  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Next time ivy bridge would be fast enough :P

Anyway, in windowed mode now eveything is ok, so thanks
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 17:28   #12644  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Madshi, no, with older madVR builds, I never had a black screen replace the "exclusive" pop-up, ever.

Since I "delay switch to exclusive mode by 3 seconds", I know it's not the resolution change itself that does the black screen.
I open the video -> a resolution switch occurs because framerate doesn't match frequency -> video is back -> a couple seconds later madVR switches to exclusive mode.

It's this last switch when the bug occurs, most often the "exclusive" pop-up shows up fine as usual.
Other times, it'll be replaced by a super fast black screen.

In both cases, after this, madVR is in Exclusive mode alright. It is only cosmetic.

This black screen really replaces the "Exclusive" pop-up itself, like if madVR was confused and didn't know where to "print" it.

It does happen after I switch frequency "behind" madVR's back though (ReClock's RunEvent) and cannot be reproduced with madVR's built-in changer as it's for cases such as 1280x720p60 -> 1920x1080p60, which cannot be replicated in madVR yet.

But again no biggie, it's only cosmetic and those last builds have been totally epic. madVR is now far faster and stable than it ever was
Old 7th March 2012, 17:35   #12645  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Why does madVR not support 1280x720p60 -> 1920x1080p60 switching? It should, at least in theory.
Old 7th March 2012, 17:55   #12646  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

...??
How could madVR possibly know when to use 720p60 rather than 1080p60 or the other way round?
I need this kind of switching (resolution only, untouched frequency) based on media source height ^^;
Old 7th March 2012, 17:59   #12647  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR tries to find the best matching display mode. If you have both 720p60 and 1080p60 in the madVR display mode switch edit control, then for 720p content madVR should switch to 720p60 and for 1080p content madVR should switch to 1080p60. The refresh rate is considered most important by madVR, though. So if you have e.g. "720p60, 1080p24, 1080p60" in the madVR display mode changer edit control, then for e.g. a 720p24 trailer madVR would switch to 1080p24. But for 720p60 content it should switch to 720p60 and for 1080p60 content it should switch to 1080p60. At least that's how it's supposed to work.
Old 7th March 2012, 18:33   #12648  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

madshi, that's nuts, I never knew that
So madVR does take source height into account now?
With 720p60 and 1080p60 set, when media height is < or = to 720, it'd switch to 720p60 and for anything above > 720, it'd switch to 1080p60? (of course we're talking ntsc media only atm).
That's completely new to me, when was this implemented??

edit: indeed it works, and i've been fighting with ReClock's runevent to coexist with madVR for all this time when it was implemented in madVR in the first place :nuts: !!

Last edited by TheShadowRunner; 7th March 2012 at 18:37.
TheShadowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 19:32   #12649  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
So madVR does take source height into account now?
It always did, at least it was always supposed to. It simply tries to find the best match from the list of modes you supplied. However, for a 480p60 file both 720p60 and 1080p60 are considered equally good matches, so whichever of those 2 is listed first is selected. For > 720 content, 1080p60 is considered better than 720p60.
Old 7th March 2012, 20:18   #12650  |  Link
mark0077

I personally can't produce any crashes with v0.82.4, thanks!

Quick question if you have time: When using "delay playback until render queue is full", in my setup for example using a render queue of 24, is this feature designed to get to X-24 / 24 (with X being anything), or fully 23or24-24 / 24?

The reason I ask, some clips that stress my machine out a bit more than others, tend to take a little bit longer to fully fill the queues (naturally), ie to reach 24 / 24, and so playback will stutter for a couple of seconds, and often the queues will even drop back down to very low levels initially / drop frames until it gets a chance to catch up to 100% full and its fine from then on, ie no frame drops. Im just wondering is there any way to tweak this feature to cater for this, ie to wait a little bit longer until everything is 100% full at the start Not a problem either ways, this feature works great on 90% of my content.

Last edited by mark0077; 7th March 2012 at 20:22.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 20:21   #12651  |  Link
dansrfe

I'm not sure when it was introduced but I'm guessing one of the v0.82.x versions.

New bug:

Display changer set to change display mode in fullscreen and return display mode back to original when media player is taken out of fullscreen mode.

File is fulscreened to exclusive mode and then taken out of fullscreen back to windowed mode via alt+enter. This causes the player to freeze completely and minimize, maximize, and close buttons to disappear. I then have to forcefully end mpc-hc.exe.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 20:31   #12652  |  Link
Pat357

Mad,
Thanks for the new build.
It seems much more stable now, but somehow I managed it to cause 2x MPC-HC to freeze.

Somehow the ctrl+alt+shift+break didn't create anything : did you somehow disable this ?
Anyway, I could reproduce the problem and created a report using "MadTraceProcess" + normal debug log.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7vz4loaf0ba6ue2

Oh, I forgot to tell when it happened : it was after going through a directory with clips ; after I succesfully went through a bunch of files, sudenly MPC-HC freezes when MadVR in in FSE.
It is infact the same as before : upon opening the next file, I got a black screen with the small blue circle in it. (windows standard).
Everything was locked after the "black" FSE frame.

Last edited by Pat357; 7th March 2012 at 20:38.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 21:35   #12653  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
Quick question if you have time: When using "delay playback until render queue is full", in my setup for example using a render queue of 24, is this feature designed to get to X-24 / 24 (with X being anything), or fully 23or24-24 / 24?
It's supposed to wait until the render queue is full (24/24). The "X-24 / 24" is the collected information between two OSD update intervals. The render queue can't be "X-24", it can only have one value at one time. The first moment it reaches 24/24, playback starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
File is fulscreened to exclusive mode and then taken out of fullscreen back to windowed mode via alt+enter. This causes the player to freeze completely and minimize, maximize, and close buttons to disappear. I then have to forcefully end mpc-hc.exe.
I can't do anything without a freeze report. Please try to create one. If the key combo doesn't work, please try the madTraceProcess tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
It seems much more stable now, but somehow I managed it to cause 2x MPC-HC to freeze.

Somehow the ctrl+alt+shift+break didn't create anything : did you somehow disable this ?
I'm wondering about that, too! But if you press the key combo during normal non-frozen playback, it works just fine for me. So it seems to be alright. Don't know why it sometimes doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
Anyway, I could reproduce the problem and created a report using "MadTraceProcess" + normal debug log.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7vz4loaf0ba6ue2

Oh, I forgot to tell when it happened : it was after going through a directory with clips ; after I succesfully went through a bunch of files, sudenly MPC-HC freezes when MadVR in in FSE.
It is infact the same as before : upon opening the next file, I got a black screen with the small blue circle in it. (windows standard).
Everything was locked after the "black" FSE frame.
Oh man. This is the MPC-HC problem once again! I see you're using build 4130. That should contain the Aleksoid fix. But the main thread is once again trying to create a D3D device while madVR is freeing its own...
Old 7th March 2012, 22:24   #12654  |  Link
dansrfe

Freeze Report for frozen mpc on exit of fullscreen to windowed mode.

http://pastie.org/private/lvuystqjfd2bwin8iogq
Old 7th March 2012, 22:29   #12655  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@dansrfe, that's MPC-HC's fault, it's once again trying to create a Direct3D device in the main thread while madVR is in the process of resetting its own. You could try a newer MPC-HC build (4128 or up). It was supposed to fix this problem, but according to Pat357's freeze report, the fix doesn't fully work yet. So it's possible another fix in MPC-HC is needed. In any case not madVR's fault, as far as I can say.
Old 7th March 2012, 22:33   #12656  |  Link
Pat357

Mad,

I think I have an idea of what went wrong in my case.
The display-changer needs to check the source filter (and maybe more checks) to determine the correct FPS to set the display.

For normal video/film files, this is no problem, but :
what does happen when there is no Directx source splitter ?

In my case, the file that caused the freezing from MPC-HC was an .M4A file.
MPC-HC showed no filters, no splitter, no audio decoder because the file was handled by Quicktime (via MFT I guess).
GraphStudioNext can also not detect any graph when trying to connect to "remote graph".

Another reason, although it would really be st.p..d, is that MadVR was in FSE before I switched to the "audio file.
Now you can not put MPC in full screen when playing audio (full screen is grayed out), but we already had FSE from the previous file
and it obviously will stay in FSE when switching to the next file (the .m4a audio).
Maybe MPC doesn't like FSE when playing audio without seeing any graph ??

I've a strong feeling that the freeze is related to MAdVR FSE and/or no normal DX graph.
The freeze doesn't happen with an AC3 file (handled by LAV).

I'm almost sure the same freezes will also happen if :

1.MadVR is in FSE in MPC

2.Playing audio through things like BASS-audio, .... which show no filters in the filter menu.

For the next build, I have a few wishes :

1. A key combination like ctrl+alt+shift+.... for unconditionally leaving FSE (would many thing make easier in case of problems)

2. Always obeying the interlaced/IVTC frame-based flags from the decoder by default : in case these are wrong, you can still set "force deinterlacing"
or "treat as progressive" in the decoder (in LAV-video and other decoders like Mainconcept, ).
Also Madvr can be set to "force deinterlace"/IVTC" on/off.
Even if the container or headers from the stream say something else, my experience is that the "repeat frame" flags from the decoder are very often correct.

3. Have a look at the freeze/crash report creation with ctrl+alt+shift+break. It's a very handy tool, but it I can't make it work in v0.82.4....
I've used it in previous versions, so it has worked before for me.

4. Supporting more format's for decoding : you have the whole FFmpeg lib at hand and you only support 3 format's ?
This way it's almost impossible to limit yourself to the build in decoders. It's a pittty you don't support more format's at this time.
Any plans to add more format's in the future ? It would be nice to just have a splitter and Madvr in your graph (less filters = usually less problems.. )
Of course first things first, so I can wait for the additional format's :-)

Last edited by Pat357; 7th March 2012 at 23:28. Reason: Adding an idea
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 22:41   #12657  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@Pat357, the freeze is not related to the display changer, as far as I can see. Your freeze report clearly shows that madVR is almost completely shut down, just the Direct3D object is not freed yet (it's in the process of being freed). The real issue is that MPC-HC is trying to create a new Direct3D object while madVR's Direct3D object is not fully freed yet. I thought Aleksoid had fixed that, but seemingly not, or at least not in all cases. It is possible, though, that your freeze is a different situation, and maybe it's a different part of MPC-HC now which tries to create a Direct3D object. E.g. maybe you have MPC-HC setup so that it draws some fancy graphics when you play an audio only file? To be honest, I've no idea if MPC-HC can even do that. Anyway, do you see any reason why MPC-HC should draw something when you play that .M4A file?
Old 7th March 2012, 23:32   #12658  |  Link
dansrfe

Freeze problem solved in the latest MPC-HC for me.

madshi,

I was wondering if it might be a good idea to implement some sort of user prioritized scaling algorithm fallback mechanism? Basically when the render queue starts to fall below a certain fraction of the user specified GPU queue size (or that it simply starts queuing a dangerously low number of frames) for which the present queue doesn't queue enough frames and then frames start getting dropped.

The main reason why this might be useful is for when the resizer is asked to go from a relatively high resolution to a much greater resolution or vis versa.
Old 7th March 2012, 23:51   #12659  |  Link
xiulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiulet:
exclusive mode change only works when i pause de video and when i do it from right menu playing video.
i discover that this problem happens if USE D3D11 FOR PRESENTATION is activated, when not, exclusive change works correctly.

Originally Posted by mashi:
Can you explain in more detail how it does not work right now? What happens exactly? Does your computer explode? Or maybe something else? Please describe as detailed as possible. If you have a freeze -> please create a freeze report and send it to me. If you have a crash -> please send the crash report to me. If it's neither a freeze nor a crash, maybe a debug log could help.
sorry for the poor information(like my english) , seems that now with 0.82.4 it work ok or more less, if it freeze again i try to send you a MadTraceProcess trail,(I was unaware of this utility) how you say may be is a mpc-hc problem.

great program and better person you are, thanks a lot.

Last edited by xiulet; 7th March 2012 at 23:57.
xiulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 23:57   #12660  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
It's supposed to wait until the render queue is full (24/24). The "X-24 / 24" is the collected information between two OSD update intervals. The render queue can't be "X-24", it can only have one value at one time. The first moment it reaches 24/24, playback starts.
Hi madshi, yeah that makes sense, thanks for the explanation. I guess in the situation where the decoder queue is set higher than the render queue, after the render queue is 100% full and madVR starts playback, the decoder queue can still be filling up and using alot of cpu. This seems to be whats causing stuttering at the start of playback for me with some clips where I only have software decoders and cpu intensive activities going on.

I'm sure its the least important thing, but would it be worth making this delay playback functionality, also delay until the other queues are full, just to be sure cpu usage can be reduced as much as possible before playback begins?
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling